Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Facelift Imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we might be very close to a Model S/X refresh or at least an interior refresh, probably Q3 by the latest.

Here’s my reasoning:

In 2016, Tesla showed the world the Model 3 for the first time on March 31.

On April 12 of the same year, the Model S recieved an update that lost the fake grill, gained the Bioweapon Defense mode of the X, along with various other refinements.

https://electrek.co/2016/04/12/tesla-official-update-model-s/

Last year, someone asked on Twitter when we’d get a red interior option and Elon responded, “Next year” (as in 2019).

Tesla will release a new red interior next year, says Elon Musk

Also last year, Electrek published an article saying that a big interior will happen Q3 of 2019.

Tesla is planning a big Model S/Model X interior refresh in Q3 2019 – full refresh in 2021

Given that we just witnessed the Model Y reveal last night, and based on what has happened in the past and the above links, this makes me believe we are just a few weeks/months (Q3 or maybe earlier?) from the facelifted S/X that could see the interior refresh with possibly a red interior option. Hopefully with some more features that would keep it in line with the competition the S/X has in it’s class (360 Birdseye view camera for parking, 2nd row captains chairs armrests, etc).

What do you guys think?

I dont think a facelift is necessary for either the S or the X right now. what they both need is just Tesla's attention, some smart overdue updates like battery packs to take advantage of SCv3.0, blind spot monitoring (visual, not just a chime), rear cross directional radar, 360 degree "aerial" cameras, folding captains chairs in 6 seat model, maybe new interior finish options, possibly a rear entertainment system in the X, consistent software updates in alignment with the Model 3, and new exterior color choices .... and consistency in pricing and options. The past year has been a roller coaster ride for the X and the S.

Last edited:
You can wait forever and still be holding out for newer tech. We've done 30k covered in Xs already, its the best family car we've ever owned. Regardless of what changes are coming we are very happy with ours, it's a longterm keeper :).

Reactions: SoCalDude
You can wait forever and still be holding out for newer tech. We've done 30k covered in Xs already, its the best family car we've ever owned. Regardless of what changes are coming we are very happy with ours, it's a longterm keeper :).

That said if I were still in the market now in mid-March, I’d definitely wait. I’m guessing the interior refresh will be significant.