Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah, they mean lovely bi-color doors like the original 1963 Ford Falcon!
250px-1963_Ford_Falcon.jpg

Last edited:
Somehow I think a good portion of the engineers at Tesla don't even know about the Falcon doors yet either...

I recall at the Model S factory tour, news that the Sport model would be available on day 1 was a surprise to some staff.

A little OT here, but as a DeLorean owner I feel compelled to correct a couple of misconceptions about gull-wing doors...or at least, the DeLorean's implementation of them. :)

1) It is true, the DeLorean can be gotten out of in a rollover crash via the glass. However, the cars are so low and wide that it would be extremely difficult to roll one. I've never heard of one ending up upside down. I suppose if you drove it off a cliff or something...

2) In my 12+ years of owning a DeLorean, the doors have never leaked, and I always use the high-pressure wash to clean the car. The doors have both an outer weather seal and an inner water seal.

3) The ingress and egress of the car as it pertains to the gull-wing doors is a common misconception. The doors are hinged close to the center of the roof of the car, and thus they mostly open *up* and not *out.* Believe it or not, the DeLorean only needs 12 inches of clearance away from the car in order to open the door, so actually the DeLorean is *easier* to get in or out of than 99% of all cars ever made. It's great to be able to really hug the wall in the garage and still get in and out easily.

In summary, John DeLorean was a brilliant engineer (he also created the Pontiac GTO), so he thought of this stuff. He was, in fact, a much better engineer than he was a car company executive, as history shows.

Mercury News - January 25, 2012: "Tesla Motors to unveil the Model X on Feb. 9"

Theo O'Neill, a cleantech analyst at Wunderlich Securities, has seen photographs of the Model X but has yet to ride in it. As a parent who struggles to buckle his young son into a car seat, he's excited about the Model X's doors, which pivot from the top of the vehicle.

"The doors of the Model X lift up and fold--like the wing of a bird," said O'Neill. "You can walk right up to the edge of the seat. It's the ideal solution for disabled children, or any parent who has to lean over to buckle a car seat."