Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good advice. We also live in an area that gets lots of snow (we've had 3 feet in 24 hours) and you quickly learn to clear the snow from the roof before you do anything. This applies to all cars... even my Land Rover which has nearly vertical sides and an overhanging rain gutter all around. Open the door and you will get snow inside.
So please, people, thing of something else to whinge about.
You should clear snow from your roof but many people don't and if you aren't very tall it sometimes isn't easy to clear snow from the roof of a SUV. I am just wondering how the snow would fall when you open the doors. And what do you do if you have a young child and it is cold and snowing. Do you sit her down in a snow bank until you clear all of the snow off the roof? Or do you open the door and put her in first and then clear the snow off the vehicle while she is inside sheltered from the weather?

If you don't understand the problem, you either don't have children, or you don't live with snow for more than a few dans a year.

Let's keep away from the snippy-thread[emoji1] Like it or not, the snow issue (including missing ability to have skis on the roof) IS going to be a case in Norway. At least according to the Norwegian EV-forum.

Edit: just read the other thread that roof rack will (probably) be available!

Last edited:
FW door seal

Image: http://i.imgur.com/VsvhZ3G.png
VsvhZ3G.png

tesla-model-x.jpg

Last edited:
Like it or not, the snow issue (including missing ability to have skis on the roof) IS going to be a case in Norway. At least according to the Norwegian EV-forum.

Edit: just read the other thread that roof rack will (probably) be available!
How is the floor configured? Is it possible to put skis on the floor under, or beside, the seats? I am a downhill skier and I personally find that there is less of a need for ski racks since downhill skiing went to shaped skis and I went from skis that were 200cm long to about 170cm long. Those are much easier to fit in a conventional car trunk. But cross country skis are still pretty long.

Thanks, Scott.
This photo definitely makes it look like windy rain or windy snow will be an issue, if they're coming from any direction but opposite the opening.
I think you left off the fact if snow or rain is come from above (i.e. sky) you will be OK too. Oh wait you said windy.

I guess it is exactly as expected tho based on the past few years pictures.

Personally, I'm very happy with the Falcon Wings and am VERY glad to have them on the Model X.

tesla-model-x.jpg

As Blip said, Elon tweeted you can put a roof rack on one side and just keep that falcon wing door closed:

Elon on twitter said:
@Avron_p you can mount a rack to the roof via suction cups and still have one Falcon door work fine. Guaranteed up to 140 mph.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 2, 2015
Tesla Model Xs Recognize Each Other, Model 3 Or Model Y Will Have Falcon-Wing Doors, Other Elon Tweets −

I seriously wonder why he didn´t highlight that in the presentation. Focusing too much on the soccer-mum target group I think, while that really doesn´t make sense, as I heard there are soccer mums that also do skiing ;).