Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you might not know is that the feature likely to garner the most initial attention are its unique doors. Specifically, "falcon" doors. While we suspect front passengers will gain entrance to the vehicle in the traditional way, the rear portals will be decidedly different. CEO Elon Musk intimated as much when he recently tweeted, "The most interesting view of the Model X is really with the doors open

Tesla Model X to have ... doors?

Looks like the falcon door comment is starting to be noticed: 2014 Tesla Model X: Mysterious “Falcon Doorsâ€￾ May Lift Up, Fold

Here is my guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb6esOkQT6M

2011-yo-concept-front-side-view.jpg

Interesting, the effect makes it look like the doors sort of bend and twist as they open, but it seems like they actually just rotate along a track. Definitely cool, though it would probably mess with trunk access.

Don't know if this is practical, but another variation of the doors-on-top-of-the roof kind might be this:

Let's say you are standing in front of the driver's side rear door. When you open it, it first moves a few inches outward (towards you). It is held only by the top-left corner, and swings around this corner to the right side and then upwards. At the same time, or a little later, the point on the top-left corner holding it moves around to the top, such that the axis around which the door swings, which first points towards you, then points upwards, so that the door comes laying length-wise on top of the roof... would require a strong top-left corner, of course.... or, such a door is only on the passenger side, and a plain rear door (or none) on the driver's side. Just a thought...

Anybody else worried that these doors might look cheesy? I hope they're "suicide doors" like somebody said in this thread. I have yet to see a car that has had "falcon doors" and not made it look cheesy.

I have faith in Tesla though. They've got a great track record so far, so I'm not expecting them to disappoint.

Given the space available in the cabin, I'm wondering if the doors slide either up or down into the body of the car. Think of the way a segmented garage door opens and slides flush with the ceiling. Or maybe they raise up like falcon doors, but collapse like a folding fan instead of staying one solid piece. It has to be something more interesting that the standard sliding side door minivans have if they look "amazing" when open.

I think I see what's going on. Try this exercise to see if it makes sense:
  • Hold your right hand out in front of you, thumb up. This represents is the driver-side door.
  • Put the tip of your index finger in the pad of your thumb. This is the pivot joint for the door.
  • Rotate your right hand counter-clockwise, without moving your left index finger, so that your right finger tips are tracing a circle. Your hand will naturally rotate to the horizontal and slide over the empty space forward of your left index finger (which is where the car's chassis would be.
Obviously, the left and right doors will have to be slightly asymmetric so that one fits in above the other (or, perhaps, only one door can be open at a time?). This doesn't explain the "fold" part of the quote, however.

I was assuming that you meant something different than I meant here:

Don't know if this is practical, but another variation of the doors-on-top-of-the roof kind might be this:

Let's say you are standing in front of the driver's side rear door. When you open it, it first moves a few inches outward (towards you). It is held only by the top-left corner, and swings around this corner to the right side and then upwards. At the same time, or a little later, the point on the top-left corner holding it moves around to the top, such that the axis around which the door swings, which first points towards you, then points upwards, so that the door comes laying length-wise on top of the roof... would require a strong top-left corner, of course.... or, such a door is only on the passenger side, and a plain rear door (or none) on the driver's side. Just a thought...

But I'm not actually sure what you meant exactly...