Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't read it that way ... it made me laugh, especially after Nigel had put together the running list of all the similar comments made by men on the forum here. It sounded more like you were resigned to losing the car. :)

Oh good, I guess the point I was trying to make actually got through. My wife's just so busy that not going to the gas station once a week will be pretty huge. Also, she spends a lot of time driving around while running errands and dealing with the kids that it will make a big difference on our gas useage.

Providing the "falcon-wing" doors initially as an option might have been a better strategy, as they may be the only things keeping more conservative buyers from putting down a deposit. With the "falcon-wing" doors TSLA runs the risk of taking the cool, new, innovative product into the realm of too cool and too new. Consumers like edgy and high tech up to a point, but when it comes to putting upwards of $50 thousand into a car, they may be turned-off by something perceived as too anything. And that is a big risk for TSLA, who's future is leveraged heavily upon sales of the Model X.

Tesla Model X: Too Much, Too Fast? - Seeking Alpha

Hmm... Kia KV7 Concept used a similar door split (lift rear / conventional front) arrangement:
Kia_KV7.jpg

Consider Options To The Falcon Wing Doors

I would buy a Model X in a heartbeat if they offer an alternative to the Falcon Wing Doors.

A Factory Roof Rack Option would also be great.

A Trailer Hitch Also would be great.

I need a Roof Rack for my kayaks.

I hope Tesla will consider that people want to take thiew toys with them.

My current Astro Van has all of these and they get used regularly, but I carry the Kayaks too frequently to want to use a trailer for them.

Anyone agree?

Let's get together and see if we can't convince Tesla to offer these options.

Wouldn't offering two types of door configurations potentially take too much work to wait until they announce offerings? Seems like it'd be best to get that desire out there now, while there is still design and engineering time to make it work.

Here would be an option ordering conundrum... Falcon doors (with their small windows above each door), or regular doors with a full pano roof option (along with side rails for mounting "stuff" on the roof). I have NO idea which I'd choose at this point.

Here would be an option ordering conundrum... Falcon doors (with their small windows above each door), or regular doors with a full pano roof option (along with side rails for mounting "stuff" on the roof). I have NO idea which I'd choose at this point.

I was (and still am a bit) turned off by the falcon doors, but honestly, I can't see getting the X with normal doors and definitely not a sliding door.

+1 on the no sliding door bit. That would be, just... ugh...

I might actually tend to want normal opening rear doors with a pano roof and mounting rails. Sort of the most versatile set-up in my opinion, albeit not as "cool" as the Falcon doors.

Well also, the ease of getting in goes down a bit I'd imagine. Wait, are the front seats higher than the rear seats? I suppose you'd retain the power sliding seat so you wouldn't have to remove your car seats too.

Elon gets these "idee fixe" about some elements of Tesla's cars, and once he's got it, it isn't going away. In the Model S, it's the snazzy (though potentially unreliable) self-extending door handles. In the Model X, it's the gull wing doors. These will happen, I am positive. It is not particularly challenging engineering to have a roof rack with gull wing doors, provided that you only open one door at a time.

Range Anxiety? No. Door Scratch Anxiety? Yup.

I don't know about everyone else but I'm getting a little concerned about the height of the doors on an already higher than normal vehicle. Would love to get a ballpark number for the true height of the doors when open. Many consumers park/drive in garages with relatively low ceiling clearances. If you have kids opening the back seat door willy nilly with a low clearance height the doors are going to get scratched/dented in a heartbeat.

Hopefully Tesla is considering these issues for future design revisions. I wonder if something as simple as a sensor could solve the problem. Thoughts?

X Signature reservation holder