Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@brianman: I guess the salespeople here in Tokyo are smart and they already conveyed their concerns to the HQ I think. Many parking infrastructure seems to use Merc S class as one of the largest reference and both Teslas seem to be bigger than that :)

@JRP3: I agree model X is designed for American and Chinese (?) market, but Japan still is more than twice as big as California in terms of new car sales with well-equipped public charging infrastructure.

I personally like the falcon door design though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

There was recent chatter of a smaller SUV as well. I already think the Model S is HUGE, and the X is even larger. I think both will sell in Japan regardless, but do think the smaller GenIII derivatives will be more suited for the Japanese market.

Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Files Patent For Model X Winged Doors

Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) has filed a patent for the winged doors it previously described for the Model X crossover vehicle. The doors are essentially two pieces with a hinge, enabling them to open wide even in spaces where parking is tight.

Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) has already revealed the design of its Model X crossover vehicle, but now we have a patent which shows how those innovative falcon wing doors will work. Production on the vehicle was pushed back to late next year.

More here: http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/09/tesla-motors-inc-tsla-files-patent-for-model-x/

I wanna say this reaffirms we'll see it on the X, but they could just as easily just be protecting their work, even if there's no immediate plan to use it (in fact, if they didn't plan to use it right away, they wouldn't want someone else jumping on it first).

I wanna say this reaffirms we'll see it on the X, but they could just as easily just be protecting their work, even if there's no immediate plan to use it (in fact, if they didn't plan to use it right away, they wouldn't want someone else jumping on it first).

The article links to the actual patent with description and basic drawings. As they just filed it. Seems falcon doors will be in final vehicle to be delivered in just over a year.

Patent Images

I still just can't get it out of my head that people in the rear seat (and inside of the car) will get covered while opening/closing these doors during bad snow or rain storm. Also, I can see lots of snow and ice falling from the roof into the car when doors are opened.

I still just can't get it out of my head that people in the rear seat (and inside of the car) will get covered while opening/closing these doors during bad snow or rain storm. Also, I can see lots of snow and ice falling from the roof into the car when doors are opened.

+1 I've been saying this for a longgggg time. For those that live in mild climates or park indoors all the time, it's a non-issue. But, living in the midwest, driving wind with rain/snow is very common in fall, winter, and spring. I'll have to see the reports from the first owners as to how bad it actually is.

+1 I've been saying this for a longgggg time. For those that live in mild climates or park indoors all the time, it's a non-issue. But, living in the midwest, driving wind with rain/snow is very common in fall, winter, and spring. I'll have to see the reports from the first owners as to how bad it actually is.

Good chance the Falcon wing windows will be heated just like your typical back window. May not eliminate the snow problem but should definitely minimize it.

At TESLIVE I had a chance to get up close and personal with the Falcon doors and I would agree that it will be quite the technical challenge but it is totally doable. If TM can actuate the windows up a bit they can mitigate any rain snow from getting into the interior mechanics or interior cargo space. Design the hinges to not be exposed to the elements is critical and can be achieved if they can keep, what is most likely a heavy door, as light as possible to keep the hinge small enough to not intrude upon the head room or be crutch during crash testing. TM has already proved they can build a safe car, but this is new engineering challenge that shouldn't be shrugged off as trivial. I believe the falcon doors to be the biggest engineering challenge of the X and the top hinges to be one of the most difficult to finalize during development.

My concern is that the Falcon Doors will not allow carrying sport and recreational equipment on the roof.

People who want an SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) tent to want to use them to transport their toys. I have 12' kayaks, skis, snowboards, mountain bikes, inflatable kayaks and I am used to just throwing them up on the roof and taking off.

I can't see how I could have my boats, etc on the roof and be able to open the rear doors.

There needs to be options for people that want their SUV to support their sports, and be utilitarian. I like to see an option for a different type of rear doors, like popping out and sliding to the rear.

Here is how my Astro van is rigged to carry my boats. Sometimes I need to stack 4,5, or 6 boats on the roof.
Astro With Boats On RoofRacks 1.jpg
Astro With Boats On RoofRacks 3.jpg
IMG_20130802_173551.jpg