Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Falcon Wing Door hit Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday was a bad day for me. My Model X FWD hit Garage and top glass got broke and inside FWD holders got broke. Please check the attached Pictures. Does any one had similar kind of experience. I know it got beeped but I think I was in a Phone talking to my friend while parking and did not notice at all. Mine is a Progressive Insurance with a deductible of 500 dollars for Collison and Comprehensive. Does Progressive cover this incident ?
What should I tell the Insurance company while claiming this incident. Does it Involve filing a complaint to police? does my Insurance rate goes up for this Incident? I am Over whelmed with so many Questions.

Do you think with out claiming insurance If I approach Tesla for how much it can be done ? I don't want to claim Insurance and mark my vehicle as Accident Car if It can be done with in less than 2000 dollars. I know the top Glass Tesla charges almost 1000 to 1200 dollars. But not sure what is the price involved to fix the FWD. For me from Inside the FWD looks ok but the handles got broke completely. Does Tesla tells me they have to replace entire FWD ?

Any responses will be appreciated.
IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

Your original post here is of limited value, as it stands at the moment.

Please add many more details, such as:

1. Were you driving with the doors open?

2. Did you open the doors and they ran into something and that's how they broke?

3. One door or both?

More color here is of great value . . . .

As for calling the police, there's no crime here, unless you've left something out of your posting? Why would you think this is a police matter?

Lastly, don't freak out. This is what insurance is for. Simply make a claim and your car will be towed to a Tesla-Approved body shop for repair.

Reactions: scottf200
Thats about a $5000 dollar repair. If you report it to your insurance company they probably will consider it an "at fault accident". They also will report it to the sate government and it will go on your record. Then the insurance rate will go up. Speaking from experience.

Reactions: mswlogo
Thanks for your reply. Its only one FWD. I was thinking for any Insurance claim we need a police complaint mandatory. After we reached home my toddler came out from the FWD and after that I was trying to Park the Car with out closing FWD. It did hit the garage. How can you confirm its only $5000 dollar. Is there any advantage if I pay all the amount from my pocket without claiming Insurance? Still the Tesla Body shop will report to State even if I did not claim from Insurance ? Or Can I Order the Parts from Tesla and try fixing it myself ? Is that very hard ? Or Can I look outside Car Junk yard to find any similar FWD available?

I live in Texas and have ZERO knowledge where this "report to the state" report came from--I suggest it is Internet fodder and has no basis in fact. But, even if it's a concern, then do you really think your premium increase will be over the ~$5k repair cost?

I don't think most here have the individual expertise to handle working on replacing a FWD, AND fixing any bent body parts, especially as there are likely some highly energized or torqued components to balance the door. (In other words, this could be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing!)

Look, it's just a Tesla and you made a mistake in your car. It's no big deal. People have been wrecking their FWD's for some years now. Just call your insurance company, file the claim, and get the car to a Tesla Approved Body Shop (I recommend Advantage Autoworks if you're on the west side of DFW).

Relax.

Life is short. Don't stress on making a mistake--learn from it, and move on.

p.s. This is WHY you have insurance: because you've had an accident. Use your insurance to fix your car. Not rocket science . . . .

I think this is a case where the repair cost will be higher than the deductible and any rate increase. Time to own up, file the insurance claim and let them fix it.

We all make mistakes - it’s ok. You’re not the first person - this afternoon, even - to make a mistake and damage their vehicle. Happens all day, every day.

Life is short; no sense stressing over it. Your family is safe and unhurt and that, my friend, is cause to celebrate!

How did that much damage happen from opening the FWD? If the door just opened into the wall it would maybe have a few scratches or a small dent. This looks like you drove with the door open and it hit a wall. You're definitely going to be better off to go through insurance for this.

Is his insurance premium likely to go up if he files a claim for this?
Just curious.

There are exceptions but I'd say the vast majority of people will see their rates go up from an at-fault claim. If the repair amount is only slightly above the deductible, it's usually better just to pay out of pocket so the incident stays off your record and the vehicle keeps a clean title. In this case though, the repair looks to easily be $5000+, so it's probably better just to eat the rate increase and depreciation hit to get the vehicle repaired.

How did that much damage happen from opening the FWD? If the door just opened into the wall it would maybe have a few scratches or a small dent. This looks like you drove with the door open and it hit a wall. You're definitely going to be better off to go through insurance for this.

Yes, his original post, AND the title, were not quite accurate. He drove his MX, with the FWD open, into his garage. Garage impacted FWD and caused major damage.

Likely an ESL case I suspect, with no malice intended.

...Does any one had similar kind of experience...

You are not the first one who drove with the doors open while parking in a garage.

...Does Progressive cover this incident ?...

Yes. It's an accident with you as a sole driver involved.

...What should I tell the Insurance company while claiming this incident...

Just tell them what you told us here. It's an accident that you did not close the door before heading in to park in your garage.

...Does it Involve filing a complaint to police?...

No. Police will not take your case because there's no others involved. There's no traffic law violated because it's in your private area.

If it's in public roads or properties that you do not own, you might need to call police in case they want to test you for driving under the influence and ticket you for not paying attention while driving and also for the property owners who can make a claim. And also some states requires police reporting if the value of damages exceeds certain limits but of course, not in your case due to your own garage.

...does my Insurance rate goes up for this Incident?...

Generically, yes but you need to confirm with your insurance.

...I am Over whelmed with so many Questions...

Yes, it's stressful but everything will be fine eventually, so try to not worry too much.

...Do you think with out claiming insurance If I approach Tesla for how much it can be done ?

As others stated, it'll be expensive. The door has sensors, motors...

By the way, Tesla is trying to open up body shops but I think they are currently only for minor dings and easy to swap out damages.

So Tesla might just refer you to a non-Tesla body shop that is certified by Tesla.

....I don't want to claim Insurance and mark my vehicle as Accident Car if It can be done with in less than 2000 dollars...

Body shops that have contracts with carfax will report car damages even though it's minor like scratches, scrapes, dings, dented hood (because Tesla owner doesn't know how to close the frunk) and carfax would list them as "minor damage" but not necessarily the details.

That means it's a volunteering system because they have to get a contract with carfax.

When you mentioned the mandatory police reporting due to damage value, that's applicable if it happened in police jurisdiction such as public roads and private properties not owned by you.

...Does Tesla tells me they have to replace entire FWD ?

I am not an expert, but I would have the whole door replaced rather than beating it back into shape.

Again, it just costs money but you won't go to jail, you won't get into other troubles. I think it's a good bargain to pay for.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Its only one FWD. I was thinking for any Insurance claim we need a police complaint mandatory. After we reached home my toddler came out from the FWD and after that I was trying to Park the Car with out closing FWD. It did hit the garage. How can you confirm its only $5000 dollar. Is there any advantage if I pay all the amount from my pocket without claiming Insurance? Still the Tesla Body shop will report to State even if I did not claim from Insurance ? Or Can I Order the Parts from Tesla and try fixing it myself ? Is that very hard ? Or Can I look outside Car Junk yard to find any similar FWD available?
Best of luck with this unfortunate incident. Please consider coming back here to let the community know the repair estimate and how your insurance company is handling this.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Body shop guy told me they dont report to Carfax as they are Tesla Approved body shop. On the other hand since Carfax has access to Insurance company datawarehouse they will pull my claim i formation later and update in Carfax.