Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X FAQ (wiki)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't enter (= edit) the wiki post!

(It's happened before - for whatever reason the "edit" button is not visible to me). The question I have is:

*Can we have a rim bolt measurement or some other determinant to learn if there is or isn't interchangeability between the Models S and X?

Since I couldn't directly upload a photo to the wiki, above, I'm posting it here and will link to it. (In answer to the question of how far does the 2nd row window open.)

Model X window open.JPG

…and by doing so just reverted what I had edited earlier ! :)
(Just to be clear, I'm sure it wasn't intentional.)

This is what I think happened :
1) Matt_D clicks on the edit button. He starts writing and gets a cup of coffee, goes back and forth to his car to get some measurements.
2) I click on the edit button.
3) I apply my changes, before Matt_D had the time to apply his changes. At this point, my changes are visible to everyone.
4) Matt_D applies his changes. His changes are published, and mine are lost.

Is it possible ? If so, is there a work around ?

Maybe create 3 or 4 separate wiki posts (one for each category), so users are less likely to edit at the same time ?

Again, Matt_D, if this is actually what happened, I'm sure it wasn't intentional and our roles easily could have been reversed.
I'll just go ahead and redo my edits (they were minor, don't wory.)

My apologies if this happened -- that wasn't my intent. Suggestion: If this can happen, it seems we need to post that we need a mutex on the wiki and then do a notification afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

In relation to charging, can a HPWC be used for both a model S and X?

Yes. My S charges happily at 80 and the X at 72.

Last edited:
In relation to charging, can a HPWC be used for both a model S and X?

Yes. My S charges happily at 80 and the X at 72.

Added to the wiki (second post, above). We set this up so that everyone could edit the one post, instead of having to read through many posts. 'Crowdsourced FAQs', if you will :).

- - - Updated - - -

What is the height from ground to top of seat?

Added to the wiki.

To be fair, I added the acronym listing to the wiki after this discussion started.

Thanks for clarifying. I was baffled by the comments over FWD definitions since the first line of the post defined the acronyms use in the wiki.

I have never owned a fwd car but tomorrow at ten I will own a car with FWDs and AWD.

In another life I was a USAF Aircraft Maintenance Officer. If you want to learn to speak acronym spend time in the fighter aircraft maintenance world. In that world acronyms become words that have lost connection with the original definition. One of my favorites was the toilet on the B1 bomber; FART, Fully Automated Reusable Toilet.

Back on topic. This thread is an excellent idea.

[Mods - perhaps move this into its own thread?]

Of course you can, that what makes TMC a fun place to hand hang out. :)

So, I am as big and unapologetic fanboi as anyone, but marketing, communications and customer engagement are also my day job, so I am going to gently disagree with you here.

IMO I think Tesla is too dependent on customers' goodwill as a substitute for building the organizational expertise and operational discipline to market and communicate like the company they aspire to be. Tesla is a 10 year old company working on their 5th major product launch (Roadster, Model S, Model X, Powerwall, Model 3) so this is not their first rodeo and they should have some of this stuff figured out by now, because, as they grow, things will only get worse. If they cannot communicate effectively with 20K potential owners, how are they going to learn how to communicate when they have to deal with 200K owners or 500K owners?

Asking folks to plop down $100K+ while they are left wondering if the thing will fit in their garages is needless and unnecessary stress--its simply not treating your customer well.

Very good points. I suppose we are seeing Elon's tendency to be late in some communication (virtually every special event) and yet too far ahead in others (I'm thinking of tweets here) that feels almost like a split personality. Hopefully it's "people are smart - get the idea out there and let them figure it out". The two sides to a coin thing with a very strong leader - you get the focused vision and obsession, as well as the foibles (insert stronger descriptor of your choice).

wow, is that width accurate? That's wider than a suburban by 9 inches, and wider than my GL350 by 5 inches. I don't think I can fit one of these and my GL in the garage at the same time. I realize the mirrors are a lot of that width and the model S is only a few inches smaller, but wow. Regardless of the FWD you still have to open the driver's door, and I think the only place in town I'll be able to visit is the Costco parking lot.

wow, is that width accurate?

I can't imagine that the width is accurate --- it would be about a foot and a half wider than my existing 2008 Mercedes E350 --- and highly unlikely to fit through my garage door (house was built in 2005).

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know the distance from the drivers seat to the ground on both the S and the X at the same setting? Im trying to figure out how much higher up of a ride it is.

The Q is in the Wiki, the A is not.

wow, is that width accurate? That's wider than a suburban by 9 inches, and wider than my GL350 by 5 inches. I don't think I can fit one of these and my GL in the garage at the same time. I realize the mirrors are a lot of that width and the model S is only a few inches smaller, but wow. Regardless of the FWD you still have to open the driver's door, and I think the only place in town I'll be able to visit is the Costco parking lot.

I'm assuming that 81.6" is outside of wheel to wheel and 89.4" is including body curves and mirrors so there would be an in between number for just the body with mirrors folded.