Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X FAQ (wiki)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just made some updates to the Wiki, to cover:

- Charge port door opening shortcut (different than Model S)
- Middle seat does in fact move. I also clarified and updated some language I had put in before when I said it had limited travel, this was bogus info I had received. (And to be candid, I should have experimented a bit more in my car.)
- Added some language around FWD door and front door control laws in the event of obstacle detection

Rear cargo volume 0.357 cu ft
Could that be referring to the volume in the channel under the shelf (behind the 3rd row)?
But it says ~1/3 cubic foot ... not 1/3 cubic yard or meter

1_cubic_foot-0.png

interesting they show the 70 kWh and 90 kWh in some spots and don't show the 70 in others.

• Curb weight
    90D 5271 lbs
    P90D 5381 lbs
  • Weight distribution
    90D Front 49%, Rear 51%
    P90D Front 48%, Rear 52%

Powertrain

• Model X is an electric all-wheel drive vehicle. The liquid-cooled powertrain includes the battery and one or more motors, drive inverters and gear boxes.
  • 70 kWh or 90 kWh microprocessor controlled, lithium-ion battery

I guess we'll have to wait for more specs to come.

Q: What are the measurements of the cargo area with all seats giving maximum cargo space in flat mode? I.e., 3rd row flat, 2nd row moved fully forward. Full length with lift gate closed at minimum and maximum points (rear curvature); width at widest and narrowest points; height; width and length at height equal to top most straight-in plane dimension from rear hatch all the way open.

Also, minimum length if 2nd row is fully back (most comfortable seating room for 2nd row passengers).

Also, diagonal room on flat floor.

Next Q, and I know this sounds strange, but it's a niche thing I'm brainstorming:

Does car complain with light or sound if rear hatch remains open indefinitely while vehicle is stationary?

I'm thinking of fab'ing a rear hitch accessory made out of insulated body colored aluminum docked to the rear hatch opening (with hatch open out of the way) latched onto rear hatch latches on bottom and gingerly holding top hinges and sealing with seals into opening the same as hatch would, with some sort of interlock to prevent vehicle movement, to extend folded flat rear area another few feet for the occasional camper extension like a shell add on, but folds up to fit in trunk or frunk area (hopefully not causing crumple zone ineffectiveness). I'm reading that the folded flat dimensions of regular model X cargo area are well under six feet. Flaws with plan: folding shell?! Hinge grabbing?! Interlock to prevent vehicle movement --- what trick does this?

Also, looking forward to cargo cages for protecting 2nd row occupants. Maybe some sort of composite or carbon fiber thing. Also, a protective cargo matt that also provides cargo tie down hooks that can lock cargo into place during accidents, roll-overs and emergency stops and cornering would be great.

None of this hits the "Lady's target market" for this car, but it's going to be another 4 or so years before long range electric campers hit the market, so this is just circulating in my mind a little. Normally, I'd prefer to sleep in a hotel with charging, but occasionally the hotels are over-capacity or quality is insufficient. A quick nap can also be a good idea for long-distance commuters with newborns who kept them awake the night before who can't make it home without sleeping a bit on the way.

I can't answer most of your questions, but the easiest way to prevent vehicle movement is to plug in a charger, it doesn't have to be powered. I always plug in the UMC at car shows to prevent someone sitting in the driver's seat from inadvertently starting and driving the car because I have the fob nearby. It is also a nice way to highlight that it's a plug-in.

Q: What are the measurements of the cargo area with all seats giving maximum cargo space in flat mode? I.e., 3rd row flat, 2nd row moved fully forward. Full length with lift gate closed at minimum and maximum points (rear curvature); width at widest and narrowest points; height; width and length at height equal to top most straight-in plane dimension from rear hatch all the way open.

Also, minimum length if 2nd row is fully back (most comfortable seating room for 2nd row passengers).

Also, diagonal room on flat floor.

Next Q, and I know this sounds strange, but it's a niche thing I'm brainstorming:

Does car complain with light or sound if rear hatch remains open indefinitely while vehicle is stationary?

I'm thinking of fab'ing a rear hitch accessory made out of insulated body colored aluminum docked to the rear hatch opening (with hatch open out of the way) latched onto rear hatch latches on bottom and gingerly holding top hinges and sealing with seals into opening the same as hatch would, with some sort of interlock to prevent vehicle movement, to extend folded flat rear area another few feet for the occasional camper extension like a shell add on, but folds up to fit in trunk or frunk area (hopefully not causing crumple zone ineffectiveness). I'm reading that the folded flat dimensions of regular model X cargo area are well under six feet. Flaws with plan: folding shell?! Hinge grabbing?! Interlock to prevent vehicle movement --- what trick does this?

Also, looking forward to cargo cages for protecting 2nd row occupants. Maybe some sort of composite or carbon fiber thing. Also, a protective cargo matt that also provides cargo tie down hooks that can lock cargo into place during accidents, roll-overs and emergency stops and cornering would be great.

None of this hits the "Lady's target market" for this car, but it's going to be another 4 or so years before long range electric campers hit the market, so this is just circulating in my mind a little. Normally, I'd prefer to sleep in a hotel with charging, but occasionally the hotels are over-capacity or quality is insufficient. A quick nap can also be a good idea for long-distance commuters with newborns who kept them awake the night before who can't make it home without sleeping a bit on the way.

It's not just # of posts. I'm bucking up close to a zillion (I think this is post #3,233, but who's counting?)...and I'm a moderator!...and I cannot wiki-edit. The yellow wiki bar that I see doesn't have the "Edit" button in it.

I can't answer most of your questions, but the easiest way to prevent vehicle movement is to plug in a charger, it doesn't have to be powered. I always plug in the UMC at car shows to prevent someone sitting in the driver's seat from inadvertently starting and driving the car because I have the fob nearby. It is also a nice way to highlight that it's a plug-in.

Yes, that's what I do at car shows, too. Which makes me wonder: could you just plug the J1772 adapter into the charge port to disable the drivetrain? Never tried it....

Yes, that's what I do at car shows, too. Which makes me wonder: could you just plug the J1772 adapter into the charge port to disable the drivetrain? Never tried it....

I wondered the same thing, and just tried it. The J1772 adapter has no effect; even when locked in charge port, the car lets you shift into park and just shows the charger port open warning.

Last edited: