TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X FAQ (wiki)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Wiki, Dec 27, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. ScottieLV

ScottieLV Member

Thank you Vandacca. Very nice of you to take your time, sacrifice your suspension, and post pics. Really appreciate your effort.

2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I hooked up my Airstream yesterday to my X to test the new electric tongue jack I installed. Apologies for not jumping on this thread and measuring when it was hooked up; I'll look again this weekend when we go camping with it. But I had a very similar experience to you, without the pop. My compressor ran well after the car was off, and I got the "Air Suspension Needs Service" message on the IC. It disappeared after I left and returned to the car, and I haven't seen it again.

• Helpful x 1
  3. ToddS

ToddS Member

Can someone talk about Towing Mode.

Can you decline it if you are only using a bike/ski rack or a metal cargo carrier, and not a trailer?

I have seen a video online of a ski rack where they are using Autopilot. Has anyone tried this with just a bike/ski rack? I am more interested in using a metal cargo carrier with AP.

TIA

• Like x 1
  4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

If you connect the 7-way connector, towing mode will automatically enable. It is also said to enable itself if it "senses" a load behind the vehicle. I do not know how it would do this, but my guess is that it's not related to weight on the receiver. I carried two bikes on my receiver and tow mode didn't enable. My rear parking sensors went nuts, but otherwise I was able to drive normally and use Autosteer.

5. akira3d

akira3d Member

#145 akira3d, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    It is my understanding that "Towing Mode" is only for towing (the wording in the settings description for the option suggests you should never enable this mode UNLESS you are towing something).

Can somone verify if the 12V and USB accessory ports still automatically turn off with AP1 Model Xs? I suspect I've been losing some range while parked during the day because my dash cam stays on. I am pretty sure that one of the software updates (perhaps 8) changed this behavior since my dash cam used to automatically power off whenever I locked the car.

I have my dash cam plugged in via 12V car charging port and it has been staying on unless I remember to manually switch it off (which I hate doing because then I forget to switch it back on before I start driving). I know the battery in this particular dash cam doesn't last that long even when it is fully charged, so it shouldn't stay on while I'm working or overnight unless it is still receiving power from the car.

6. akira3d

akira3d Member

Never mind, the accessory ports definitely go off when I lock the car. I think I figured out what I was seeing...that my dash cam would get turned on every time I approached to check either because I had the fob in my pocket (which was the case at the office), the car was charging (appears that the accessory port stays on while charging), or had finished charging (so the battery in the dash cam was able to keep it on).

I also learned that the accessory port turns on when you access your car via the app (which explains why I sometimes found recordings from my dash cam at seemingly random times of the day).

• Helpful x 2
  7. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

Is this wiki a good place to add Q&A about brake noise? If so I'll add something. It seems like people ask this question all the time, like, everywhere.

• Like x 1
  8. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#148 scottf200, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    • Informative x 2
  9. Fairgame

Fairgame New Member

I understand that in “Range mode” in daytime the signature lights are OFF. Is there a way to engage “Range mode” and still have signature lights ON during daytime to make the car more visible or safety?
    Thanks
    PS: Our car is coming in June, so I cannot test this myself yet.

10. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Range mode is annoying to use, why do you think you’ll need it?

• Disagree x 1
  11. Fairgame

Fairgame New Member

Well, I’m not sure what range mode does in real world, so I may not need it at all. If you tow a trailer, for example, would it help to get more range out of the car? Or is it really not that significant?
    Back to my original light question. I think to have the signature lights on during daytime, do not use range mode? Is that correct?

12. PeterK

PeterK Model X Owner

Yes that is correct.

I’ve never towed anything but there could be issues with range mode and towing. My understanding is that range mode:
    - reduces climate system energy consumption (weaker heat and a/c)
    - turns off daytime running lights, at least on the X
    - has some impact on the AWD system. I think it tries to put more load on the front motor on the highway. I was once warned that it’s best not to use range mode when driving in potentially slippery road conditions, because you lose some of the AWD ability.

This third aspect could potentially have an impact on towing. But don’t quote me on this, I’m hoping someone better informed can chime in with a more precise response.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.