Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X FAQ (wiki)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I immediately tried to bounce the console and IC and it didn't help. Took pictures and called Tesla Roadside assistance. They said it all looked fine from their end, so they had me go back to the vehicle and the warning disappeared and now I'm able to change suspension settings again.

Hopefully, it was just a quirk, but just in case they are pulling my logs and reviewing them at the time of the problem. Hopefully, I'll know tomorrow how serious it was/is.
I hooked up my Airstream yesterday to my X to test the new electric tongue jack I installed. Apologies for not jumping on this thread and measuring when it was hooked up; I'll look again this weekend when we go camping with it. But I had a very similar experience to you, without the pop. My compressor ran well after the car was off, and I got the "Air Suspension Needs Service" message on the IC. It disappeared after I left and returned to the car, and I haven't seen it again.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Can someone talk about Towing Mode.

Can you decline it if you are only using a bike/ski rack or a metal cargo carrier, and not a trailer?

I have seen a video online of a ski rack where they are using Autopilot. Has anyone tried this with just a bike/ski rack? I am more interested in using a metal cargo carrier with AP.

TIA

Reactions: HugoBoss
Can someone talk about Towing Mode.

Can you decline it if you are only using a bike/ski rack or a metal cargo carrier, and not a trailer?

I have seen a video online of a ski rack where they are using Autopilot. Has anyone tried this with just a bike/ski rack? I am more interested in using a metal cargo carrier with AP.

TIA
If you connect the 7-way connector, towing mode will automatically enable. It is also said to enable itself if it "senses" a load behind the vehicle. I do not know how it would do this, but my guess is that it's not related to weight on the receiver. I carried two bikes on my receiver and tow mode didn't enable. My rear parking sensors went nuts, but otherwise I was able to drive normally and use Autosteer.

It is my understanding that "Towing Mode" is only for towing (the wording in the settings description for the option suggests you should never enable this mode UNLESS you are towing something).

A: All accessory outlets are not powered if the car is off.

Can somone verify if the 12V and USB accessory ports still automatically turn off with AP1 Model Xs? I suspect I've been losing some range while parked during the day because my dash cam stays on. I am pretty sure that one of the software updates (perhaps 8) changed this behavior since my dash cam used to automatically power off whenever I locked the car.

I have my dash cam plugged in via 12V car charging port and it has been staying on unless I remember to manually switch it off (which I hate doing because then I forget to switch it back on before I start driving). I know the battery in this particular dash cam doesn't last that long even when it is fully charged, so it shouldn't stay on while I'm working or overnight unless it is still receiving power from the car.

Last edited:
Never mind, the accessory ports definitely go off when I lock the car. I think I figured out what I was seeing...that my dash cam would get turned on every time I approached to check either because I had the fob in my pocket (which was the case at the office), the car was charging (appears that the accessory port stays on while charging), or had finished charging (so the battery in the dash cam was able to keep it on).

I also learned that the accessory port turns on when you access your car via the app (which explains why I sometimes found recordings from my dash cam at seemingly random times of the day).

Manual change: 13-Apr-2018

Draftable Free Online Compare for Word, PDF, PowerPoint

7W6dhla.jpg
IgFtOUj.jpg

deTt5Rk.jpg

I never knew / realized this was in the manual in the first place!
ieaYJFw.jpg

qAcFO1Z.jpg

Last edited:
I understand that in “Range mode” in daytime the signature lights are OFF. Is there a way to engage “Range mode” and still have signature lights ON during daytime to make the car more visible or safety?
Thanks
PS: Our car is coming in June, so I cannot test this myself yet.

Well, I’m not sure what range mode does in real world, so I may not need it at all. If you tow a trailer, for example, would it help to get more range out of the car? Or is it really not that significant?
Back to my original light question. I think to have the signature lights on during daytime, do not use range mode? Is that correct?

Well, I’m not sure what range mode does in real world, so I may not need it at all. If you tow a trailer, for example, would it help to get more range out of the car? Or is it really not that significant?
Back to my original light question. I think to have the signature lights on during daytime, do not use range mode? Is that correct?

Yes that is correct.

I’ve never towed anything but there could be issues with range mode and towing. My understanding is that range mode:
- reduces climate system energy consumption (weaker heat and a/c)
- turns off daytime running lights, at least on the X
- has some impact on the AWD system. I think it tries to put more load on the front motor on the highway. I was once warned that it’s best not to use range mode when driving in potentially slippery road conditions, because you lose some of the AWD ability.

This third aspect could potentially have an impact on towing. But don’t quote me on this, I’m hoping someone better informed can chime in with a more precise response.

I've been driving BMW's forever, after working for them over a decade ago, but obviously am intrigued by Tesla. Currently driving a 2016 X5 35d (diesel), and I'm now looking at the Model X 70D. Reviews on the car are ample. I've been playing with the configurator for weeks and have almost pulled the trigger several times.

What I'm most curious about before I do though, is aftermarket products like warranty, insurances, and paint protection- what have you guys purchased from Tesla and/or other companies and why?

MX newbie here :) In looking to buy private lightly used non P MX I have a couple of questions:
  • Why do some (non P) have 330 and some 350 mile range? How do I identify which version I am looking at?
  • How do I identify if it has adaptive suspension?
  • The one I drove was shuddering under acceleration. Do all X shudder sometimes or does it vary from car to car?
  • Which X versions have 8 year unlimited battery and drivetrain warranty?
  • Do all X have tow hitch and trailer electric plug?

Last edited:
@vandacca, Terrific photos THANKS FOR POSTING!
I measured my 2017 Model X Bosal hitch today as I'm preparing to swap out for a Draw-Tite Hitch as we are preparing to tow a heavier trailer. I got 13-1/2" from ground to top flat inside of the receiver. This seems about 1/4" lower than your photo (Great Photo by the way).
I'm not 100% sure my driveway presents an ideal flat surface... so it's close enough. As long as I measure the Draw-tite in the same location I will have a decent relative idea of any change.
I wanted a smaller Sol Horizon trailer... but my wife got impatient waiting for delivery, and we bought an R-Pod today. Happy Wife, Happy Life. But I'm going to need to switch to the Draw-tite, as it may allow me to get a higher rise on the ball. The Bosal only allows 1/2" and I think the restriction is due to how the Bosal mounts.
In hindsight, although the Bosal is clever and hides away for low drag, it's utility is limited, and the 7-way receptacle and safety chain loops are nearly inaccessible. After MANY MANY hitchings and unhitching to supercharge on long road trips Tesla would be ahead in just having a nice access cover that opens like on the back of a Yukon.
Besides the Model X 100D has more torque and horsepower than a V8 Yukon for towing anyway. Plus it's lower profile and I expect more efficient as a tow vehicle than the Cybertruck will be. Ideally, I'd like the 500 mile Cybertruck battery & fast charge option for my Model X. With free supercharging... that would be an ideal retirement tow rig.

No replies?
Old 2016 model X's had Tow Package as an option. Just about July 2017 when I placed my order the tow package became standard on Model X. I think the tow bar & wiring harness might already be in all the vehicles... but if not the aftermarket Draw-Tite is a good solution for the mechanical (Better actually). But you will need to pay Tesla to download/turn on the "Tow Mode" software for your vehicle if it didn't have it from the factory.
That software manages turning off auto suspension lowering/rasing while towing, and also enables trailer anti-sway so if the car detects rear sway, the ABS system kicks in to dampen/stop the sway. So it's a safety feature.
MX newbie here :) In looking to buy private lightly used non P MX I have a couple of questions:
  • Why do some (non P) have 330 and some 350 mile range? How do I identify which version I am looking at?
  • How do I identify if it has adaptive suspension?
  • The one I drove was shuddering under acceleration. Do all X shudder sometimes or does it vary from car to car?
  • Which X versions have 8 year unlimited battery and drivetrain warranty?
  • Do all X have tow hitch and trailer electric plug?

• Informative
Reactions: Olle