TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X, Fastest Selling Tesla Ever

Discussion in 'Model X' started by NigelM, Feb 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

… and in every electric car.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

4. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

The important part in "30% up" is 'not down'.

I also don't mind if Tesla announces "advance sales". But then, would I?

5. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

As of now, the Model X Tally thread reports 49 Model X Signature and 498 Model X general production reservations. The $40m figure might be misleading, but reservation fees total right now amount to $1960k + $1992k = $3.952m. I understand it's fully refundable, but that's real money in Tesla's hand. They can spend it to cover the costs of the reveal event etc.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Well they should get a refund if they paid someone for that streaming fiasco.

7. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I agree. As discussed, the amount of the increase is pure spin of the worst king. But the mere fact that it increased is pure fact of the best kind!

8. Joel

Joel Active Member

You forgot the Canadian and European reservations. 49 * $40,000 = 1.96 Million + 166 * $5,000 = $2.49 Million. Total = $4.45 Million.

9. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

#49 WhiteKnight, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    The Canadians and Europeans are reserving Signature Model X's at the same rate as Americans? 49 Canadian/European Sigs and 49 American Sigs?

And to the person that said (paraphrasing) "if we keep up this pace Model X will reach 2,000 in the first 30 days." They're not going to keep up this pace. There was a big buzz immediately following the event and it will subside (perhaps exponentially) as time passes. I believe that's the nature of these kind of buzz-saturated product announcements / media events.

10. Joel

Joel Active Member

I do not know if Canadians and Europeans are reserving at the same rate. I was referring to the $40 Million number that Tesla quoted. The $40 Million is based on US, Canadian, and European reservations.

I have no comment on the reservation rate. Tesla has yet to disclose the base case reservation rate. So, a 30% increase does not convey much, if anything to me.

11. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The pessimists might think that the good-news press release before the earnings call was along the lines of, "First, the good news..." and we know what comes next.

The optimist might think that there's so much good news that the press release was timed to get the market jacked up on TSLA, and then build with yet more great news today.

I'm not sure what I think yet.

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

While I agree that the pace will not stay steady, I don't believe it will drop as quickly as Model S. People (like me) create interest in Tesla. Three people I know have now put down deposit money - one for a Model S, two for Model X. There is more buzz over Model X - with the Roadster, Tesla was a niche Silicon Valley company, the Model S said they weren't a one-trick pony, but with the Model X they announced they were a car company around to stay. People are paying attention. We're watching S reservations go up once again as a result. As more people reserve, they spread the word. It's not just a single event that sells cars.

The length of the wait list for Model S likely is keeping some people from putting down a deposit - I think moving that in front of Roadster 3.0 is the absolutely the right business decision to make and it increased my confidence in Tesla management

13. onlinespending

X Sig #3? Good job bonnie. I take it you were at the event...blank check in hand?

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

The model X is the perfect car for a Taxi company! Ease of egress luggage space etc. I think the numbers for commercial use once started will rocket this car.

15. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Yes. and Yes. and thanks :).

16. onlinespending

#56 onlinespending, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    I guess it depends on the service, but I imagine most cabs drive more than 300 miles in a given day. The necessity to charge could become problematic for them.

17. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

They are required by law to take breaks, and lunch. Should be pleanty to keep a taxi running, and most do not put more than 300 miles in a shift. Supercharging in 40 minutes?

18. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

They also spend a lot of time sitting and idling, which consumes gasoline in an ICE but consumes very little power in an EV.

19. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Quite a few transport services could probably provide recharging while waiting for a delivery. The problem is the amount of miles they put on the vehicles.

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That's what I'm sayin'! Taxi, limo, town car, delivery, shuttles, presidential limo, They need solid black version with black interior. The more these things are buzzing around the more they are accepted.