Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Feature request thread - (to be seen by Tesla Motors and perhaps acted upon.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that delivering what they've got right now is more important than trying to implement a few snazzy new features. That said, I have a HUD on two of my current vehicles, both GMCs, and I really, REALLY like it. Another thing I've got on one of my current vehicles that I would love to see in Model X (and S) is Qi wireless phone charging. I really like just being able to drop my phone on the pad and have it start charging.

I have been following (as much as possible with the little information available anyway) Tesla Model X and the SC network for a year now. This thread finally got me to register to this forum.

Unless I am seriously missing something, no mention has yet been made of getting backup power FROM the model X. I have had TWO (of the THREE to hit US since 1969) Cat 4 or above hurricanes hit my house (Hugo,1989 & Charley, 2004) and lost power for WEEKS at a time. Getting all those stored kwh for WHOLE HOUSE power backup would be very nice to have. And I want REAL current capability (like 30 amps or more). I own two Volts now and the best that is available is an after-market tap into the 12v system. Car makers can do better. People keep writing articles about V2G, but I haven't seen any action yet. Please correct me if I am wrong...and Tesla, please take action. It should be MUCH easier to get those kwh back out of the battery when needed- then to put as much effort as you claim into self-driving cars.

I have been following (as much as possible with the little information available anyway) Tesla Model X and the SC network for a year now. This thread finally got me to register to this forum.

Unless I am seriously missing something, no mention has yet been made of getting backup power FROM the model X. I have had TWO (of the THREE to hit US since 1969) Cat 4 or above hurricanes hit my house (Hugo,1989 & Charley, 2004) and lost power for WEEKS at a time. Getting all those stored kwh for WHOLE HOUSE power backup would be very nice to have. And I want REAL current capability (like 30 amps or more). I own two Volts now and the best that is available is an after-market tap into the 12v system. Car makers can do better. People keep writing articles about V2G, but I haven't seen any action yet. Please correct me if I am wrong...and Tesla, please take action. It should be MUCH easier to get those kwh back out of the battery when needed- then to put as much effort as you claim into self-driving cars.

Welcome as a forum member. I know a good realtor.... Perhaps getting hit 4 times is a sign.

BTW: You might search the forums for V2G (Vehicle to Grid). There are quite a few hits on this already (too many to quote here).

Last edited:
<snip>

1. I would like a Tesla branded LED flashlight that runs on Tesla battery technology that can recharge through a built in holder ...

<snip>

My 1982 BMW 320i had this. Little flashlight in the glovebox that recharged off of the car. Surprisingly handy.

If I had one feature request, though, it would be to have as good a reversing camera as the one on my 2012 Explorer. The combination of static and dynamic guidelines plus red / yellow / green distance blocks really is excellent, the best I've seen on any car. I know I'll love the X when it comes, but I'll miss that reversing camera.

Oh, and the self-park function on the Explorer is pretty cool, too. Can the X do that, please?

Tesla should mount cameras on the edge of the side mounted mirrors so that they look backward when the mirrors are folded back. That way the mirrors could be folded back during driving to allow for better aerodynamics, still have backward view and satisfy the regulators who have not approved side mounted cameras in place of the mirrors yet.

Welcome as a forum member. I know a good realtor.... Perhaps getting hit 4 times is a sign.

BTW: You might search the forums for V2G (Vehicle to Grid). There are quite a few hits on this already (too many to quote here).

He said he was hit twice by Category 4+ hurricanes, not four times.

Also, welcome to the forum Flmark! I agree, it would be a great feature to have power go the other way when needed. For this to work best, you'd likely want to have a Tesla Wall Connector or 14-50 connection to the Mobile Connector, though both of those units might require updates for them to work correctly.

Tesla should mount cameras on the edge of the side mounted mirrors so that they look backward when the mirrors are folded back. That way the mirrors could be folded back during driving to allow for better aerodynamics, still have backward view and satisfy the regulators who have not approved side mounted cameras in place of the mirrors yet.

That is a great idea, morphing hybrid mirrors.

PLEASE include a grip handle to the left and above the drivers head. I use this handle constantly in my Highlander on long trips to reduce left arm fatigue. Virtually every car on the road has one of these and Tesla needs at least one for the driver. While not a deal breaker for me I really want and need it as I am sure most drivers would agree. Thanks for listening Elon!

PLEASE include a grip handle to the left and above the drivers head. I use this handle constantly in my Highlander on long trips to reduce left arm fatigue. Virtually every car on the road has one of these and Tesla needs at least one for the driver. While not a deal breaker for me I really want and need it as I am sure most drivers would agree. Thanks for listening Elon!

I did not know people did this.

I need grip handles too!! My reason has more to do with trying to get out of the Model S in heels, lol.

This is more of a general "big idea" feature request for any EV manufacturer and/or model, but it would be nice if one could buy a minimal size battery pack (say 30kWh), which might be all one needs for most of the year, and then be able to temporarily rent one or two additional packs that could be simply added to the existing pack (a la RAM to an laptop in years gone by), if one needed to take a longer trip. At the end of the trip, the extra weight and rarely-used capacity of the two packs is returned, and a certain fee per day is charged for their use.

This would eliminate the problem of hauling around a lot of unused weight (800 lbs?) most of the time, but still enable long trips to be made using the superchargers, etc. The added packs would need to be nearly identical to the "base" pack, so that their addition would not change the center of gravity, etc. But I don't think that would be a problem for Tesla's engineers if it were designed into the car from the get-go. The "installation" would or should only take a few minutes to do, and all of the software, BMS, sensors, gauges etc. would automatically adjust (again, just like adding RAM), and nothing would be required of the user/owner/driver.

I suspect that there would have been more orders for the 'S40' had this option been available, even though I'm aware that it wasn't quite the same as what I'm suggesting (i.e., the capacity+weight was already there).

So perhaps this is more of an idea for the Model 3. It would keep the base price "way down" (and the miles/kWh up), but buyers wouldn't be missing out on anything if they opted for it. "Sorry" if this isn't as clear as it could be or is covered elsewhere, but it's late and I thought this might be as good a place as any! (Led here from yesterday's CleanTechnica daily email.)

You are obligated to post a pic or they don't exist

DSCF0035.JPG
DSCF0323.JPG
P1030186.JPG
DSCF0084.jpg

My 80 pound lap dog

Princess Foo in pink

My 80 pound lap dog and one of his litter mates when they were only 2 pounds!

Snow Day!!

Honestly, I can't think of any features the X won't have that would make me ask for something. Maybe massage seats like some high end cars have. My biggest request would be for them to bring back green as a color choice.