Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Financing questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used Section 179 of the tax code which states that vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of over 6,000 pounds are eligible for an immediate business tax deduction of up to $25,000. Basically, the deduction means that one doesn’t have to pay taxes on the $25,000 amount (a savings of up to ~$13,000) for the Model X yet?
I used this in 1995 for an MDX Model X qualifies as well.
Follow up with this link
Tesla Model X GVWR Is 6,768 Pounds - Vehicles Qualifies For $25,000 Business Tax Deduction

Reactions: Ampster

This article came out way before the government updated and allowed bonus depreciation. I believe the bonus depreciation is 50% of the price of the vehicle on an incentive to force to purchase new. I believe its only allowed on the 2nd year of ownership forcing you to keep it a few years? Anyone know more? 130000 / 2 = 65000 bonus depreciation + 25,000 initial tax deduction + fed/state rebates = ??

50% Bonus Depreciation Likely to be Extended in 2014 | Nolo.com

ALLIANT!!! They are so familiar with Tesla's it's crazy. Will go 84 months for 2.74. Awesome
I just got a loan with Alliant with the help of Daniel Tovar over the phone.
72 months at 1.99% with 100% LTV based on the sale price of the Tesla from the configuration page.
This is good for me since my local FCUs had better rates of 1.69% and 1.8% but would only do 90% and 80% LTV respectively and the sales price was reduced by the $7,500 fed tax rebate. Making the 80% LTV loan for my $112,900 Tesla include a $36k down payment for Tax, Title, License, $7,500 Rebate and 20% LTV.
You can use my spreadsheet to configure options and estimate and compare loan rates and terms.
Tesla Model X Finance

Reactions: ModelS8794
Reactions: ssq
The best I could do for getting 100% financing was to go with Alliant. They do a LOT of Tesla deals and that made me comfortable with the strange process I have to go through since I live in Texas. I had rates of 1.59% to 1.8% for 60-72 months at 2 credit unions in Austin but they would only finance 80-90% of post fed tax rebated sales amount of Model X.
MSRP $112,900 - Fed Tax $7,500 * 80% = $84,320 vs MSRP + TTL = ~$36k down payment...

From what I understand you can get Federal and State tax credits, and in addition you will qualify for the Section 179 write off on the first $25,000 of it's purchase price in year one, and accelerated tax deductions in year two.

You can get 50% bonus depreciation on the first year too. So I think the way it works is 25k + 50% of purchase price + 7500.00 fed. Then on year 2 you can get full depreciation the standard way per year. As well as tax, insurance etc. Anyone clarify?

Reactions: loganintx
I am planning on applying to LightStream to finance about a 1/3 or so of the purchase price. It seems I should be able to get 1.99% for 36 months, but what is nice is that if your credit is good enough it is an unsecured loan. So they just deposit the cash in your account, and you get to be the only one on the title. Even if I could get 0.25% or so cheaper somewhere else, avoiding the hassle of a secured loan seems worth it to me.
Did you try Light Streams' rate beat program?

Kinda surprised this thread isn't seeing much life. Maybe I'm just in one of the few states where tesla does not offer its own lending program? Anyway, I would add one more interesting option, for those with excellent credit, Lghtstream.com offers loans that are actually unsecured. Rates are not at the rock bottom versus the 1.99% above but appear to offer two advantages: 1) having an unsecured loan which means a little easier on the back end if you sell, as title will be free and clear, plus 2) they offer a best-rate guarantee, so taking a 1.99% offer from Alliant or one of the other rock bottom credit union rates to them, they will drop it by another 0.1% if you are approved. I think I will give this a try, as my previous experience selling my Model S included some headaches getting the lender to process the loan release paperwork in a timely fashion so I'm attracted to the idea of having the loan unsecured while still getting low auto-loan like interest rates.
how did your experience go? Did the rate beat program actually work?