Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X first day feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know many of you who is either waiting for delivery or still trying to finally the built will have questions, because it is very hard to get any useful information from Tesla. I took delivery on 5/14/2016 at Costa Mesa, California. 6 X on site, and all with 25xx and 266xx vin. Here are my notes:

1. Totally in love with X. I have and had several high end European cars and SUVs. It really makes them a thing in the past. For real.

2. Overall, it is quiet. But not as quiet as for a 7 or a S. Acceptable.

3. Premium sound: I personally believe it is a must have. Because it is still an average system, as it's not very premium. Any Bose system would easily beat this upgrade.

4. Window tint: loving it so far. It is darker and cooler than my aftermarket tints. I have not done real hot day test yet.

5. Car smell: the new car smell makes my wife and I felt sick. I felt like I want to pass out with all window closed. It is a poison.

6. The whole car sealed very nicely, which all the new car smell was able to lock in and trying to kill us.

7. AC, I put AC on 5 bars, still weak, which again, the new car smell doesn't go away.

6. seats: not as good as good as AUDI, Porsche, Maserati, and a distance behind BMW and Mercs. I am 6 ft, and I felt the driver seat "leg rest" area is short.

7. spaces: good, but not great. I wish for more leg room left to right direction <---> to be more. As I am seating in the passenger side, it is not roomie enough.

8. Back seats: I have the 6 seats and which I believe I made the right decision. I have 2 kids, all 4 rear seats for them. They loved it so much and wished they could sleep in it. I am OK middle 2 seats, and I am not even going for the rear 2 seats.

9. Spoiler: It appear to be in fix position at all time even when lock. I will follow up with more professional test with some help from iGAGING angle reading gauges. DS informed me, it would flat when lock. But, so fat, it is not happening. I am OK with it either way. Good thing is, we all have a spoiler, which makes the car looks that much better.

10.1 Panoramic windshield: Loved it. Make the X a thing from the future.
10.2 Panoramic windshield: double vision at night. Anyone knows if there is an ultimate solution? Thank you.

11. FWD: Coolest feature ever. Kids loved it. They tested out for at least 20~30 mins, open..close..open..close and so on. Not a single issue. My house was built in 2003, the garage was tail enough to handle as it's full opening. I had little room for both sides, but it managed to open without any issue or touch anything.

12. 90D: Even with 90D, it felt so fast, so powerful, so.... what's another word for it... FAST. I didn't have the money for the P, but very happy with just the 90D.

13. interface: played around all afternoon, had not had any issue.

Overall, X is a great car. However: it is somewhat overpriced. Still have built issues here or there. Pre-owing customer service was BAD.

14. Autopilot: I am having an issue with it, which I believe Tesla is playing me again. See my thread here:Tesla Autopolit upgrade option removed from Tesla site

15. At a supermarket parking lot, people are eyeing on the FWD. Great.

16. I showed my friends with X, the first common was: "So many issues with it, ... ... right?" I was speechless for a second. And replied as: "Those were early built". The point is: Tesla, you make a name for yourself. I cannot and will not help you on this. Sorry, but I am not sorry!

If I missed something you want to know, let me know. Or if you wish to see something, let me know.

Glad that you seem to like it along with the family. I could see one close for the first time a couple of days ago at a Tesla store. I was impressed and had a hint of regret (I converted my X order to an S few weeks ago). As for the Autopilot upgrade I'm sure its just a technical glitch that Tesla will fix for you asap. There is no reason in the world why they would not unlock it for $3k...

Smell...picked mine up last week and although noticeable was not that pungent. However, I selected the white seats.

Spoiler: have 35xx VIN & mine does move and closes when vehicle shuts down ( perhaps gift from Elon...hopefully that becomes an option for non-P buyers some day...I like the functionality ).

btw: try the bioweapon selection to see if it mitigates the smell. Good news is that the smell will dissipate over time

Smell...picked mine up last week and although noticeable was not that pungent. However, I selected the white seats.

Spoiler: have 35xx VIN & mine does move and closes when vehicle shuts down ( perhaps gift from Elon...hopefully that becomes an option for non-P buyers some day...I like the functionality ).

btw: try the bioweapon selection to see if it mitigates the smell. Good news is that the smell will dissipate over time

I have ordered a very similar car to yours and would love to see yours in person. I Iive part time in North Naples. When would be good for you? If you are a car guy, I have plenty of cars to show you that may entice? Lol

Any Bose system would easily beat this upgrade.
Could you be any more insulting?:)
am 6 ft, and I felt the driver seat "leg rest" area is short.
Are you referring to the missing dead pedal and that area? Otherwise why not just move the seat back? I have 36" inseams and find it good, but I am coming from 15 years in an Acura MDX which was dismal in this regard, so perhaps I am tainted.
Spoiler: It appear to be in fix position at all time even when lock.
You probably have the new non performance spoiler all cars were supposed to have gotten but were not ready until now.
I showed my friends with X, the first common was: "So many issues with it, ... ... right?" I was speechless for a second. And replied as: "Those were early built".
Funny. Everyone I meet has no clue what a Model X is and thinks it must be the Model 3. And so far the problems of the Model X or Tesla itself has with production has not made it to the masses I encounter on the street. Maybe I need to get out more.;)

Reactions: loganintx