Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X First Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A collection of first impressions from yesterday's launch. I wonder if any of the large, established auto magazines will be allowed extended hands-on time, such as was allowed with the Model S 3 years ago? The Model X is off to a glowing start with the press.

TheVerge: Tesla’s Model X is finally here, and I got to drive it
Tesla’s Model X is finally here, and I got to drive it | The Verge

Jalopnik
: What It's Like To Drive The Tesla Model X
What Its Like To Drive The Tesla Model X

Tesla Model X: This Is It

Road and Track: Tesla Model X Driving Impressions: It's Unsettlingly Fast
Tesla Model X Driving Impressions: It's Unsettlingly Fast

Motor Trend: 2016 Tesla Model X: 15 Things You Need to Know About the EV Crossover - This Electric Crossover is Full of Awesome Tech Surprises
2016 Tesla Model X: 15 Things to Know About the EV CUV All Pages

Wired: Tesla’s Model X Is Here, and It’s as Awesome as We Hoped
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/tesla-model-x-suv-reveal-specs-price/

USA Today: First drive: Tesla Model X is an awesome way to spend $132,000
First drive: Tesla Model X is an awesome way to spend $132,000

Car and Driver: 2016 Tesla Model X: Tesla's Electric Crossover Finally Spreads Its Wings
Enter the electric falcon.
2016 Tesla Model X Official Photos and Info Car and Driver

Gizmodo: Tesla's Model X Is Finally Here: The Stuff We Didn't Already Know (UPDATED)
Teslat Already Know (UPDATED)

Mashable: Tesla Model X revealed: 250-mile range, Falcon Wing doors, Ludicrous mode
Tesla Model X revealed: 250-mile range, Falcon Wing doors, Ludicrous mode

Business Insider: Here's Tesla's first SUV, the all-electric Model X
Here is the Tesla Model X - Business Insider

Green Car Reports: Tesla Model X: The New Safest SUV?
Tesla Model X: The New Safest SUV?

CNET: Tesla Model X: Getting behind the wheel of an all-electric, high-performance SUV
2016 Tesla Model X Preview - CNET

AOL video:
Tesla Model X Test Drive - AOL On

Fox Business: Tesla Model X a 'Litmus Test' for SUVs and Luxury Cars
Tesla Model X a for SUVs and Luxury Cars | Fox Business

Last edited:
Thanks for the links! As expected, throughout all the press I've read today I've only seen a single press opinion about storage space concerns, and maybe a small handful who even mentioned the 2nd row seats not folding. Definitely like all the positive press and I'm really pleased with how it turned out overall, way better than the prototypes indeed!

Thanks for putting this up. I am still amazed at how many media outlets get information wrong and put it in print. Yeah, I've been obsessing over the X for almost 3 years now, and I research it daily, but to the average person who is just literally getting introduced to the Model X for the first time, reading misinformation can be a real downside and turn them away from taking a closer look at this car. All kinds of mistakes are found in these articles... from reservation info, price, etc. It's amazing how things can get rushed to print without fact-checking or proofing.... but I digress..

Pffff! Car And Driver, even in praise with a positive review, they dwell on the negatives and come across resentful! Such a dinosaur of a magazine that hates on such great things for whatever reason. Like all things, if they cannot evolve with the times, they will perish. They're just Jelly!! Lol!

• Love
Reactions: Happscrap
Pffff! Car And Driver, even in praise with a positive review, they dwell on the negatives and come across resentful! Such a dinosaur of a magazine that hates on such great things for whatever reason. Like all things, if they cannot evolve with the times, they will perish. They're just Jelly!! Lol!

Car & Driver seemed dead on to me. Not sure what part of the article offended you so much. All the criticisms seemed valid, IMHO.

A biased and nonsensical opinion piece from Road & Track: The Tesla Model X Isn't Revolutionary, It's Iterative

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the comments lambaste the author, pointing out factual errors (e.g. the old saw about losing $4K per car) and weak points in his argument.
I completely agree with this statement from the author:
To steal a slightly derisive word from the Silicon Valley lexicon, the Model X is iterative. It's the iPhone 6S Plus to the Model S's iPhone 6—altered, improved, but hardly earth-shattering.

I completely agree with this statement from the author:

I also think there's nothing wrong with being iterative. The next "revolution" will be in affordability, and Tesla can't accomplish that until the Gigafactory is completed and the Model 3 is ready for production.

As great as Model S is, some people need a car with better access. I know people who can't comfortably get into the driver's seat of a low slung, sporty sedan. I know people who have infants and toddlers and would like an easier way to get them in and out of car seats. That's why Model X exists: to extend the utility of the Tesla product line.

I'll take it further, and say that the MX is insufficiently iterative, as it only shares 30% of Model S parts. Tesla needs to do better when they build the model Y on the model 3 skateboard.

The purpose of the model X was to be a different form factor of the model S.