Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X First Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree their conclusion is positive evidenced by the quote mentioning the "pleasure living with what could possibly be the best people-mover extant," although that sentence began as a lament over the falcon wing doors that MT deems a gimmick that delayed its release.

Their conclusion is about as positive as you can get and MT is echoing what many think: "It’d be a better SUV without the falcon doors, the monopost seats, and the windshield, but as it sits now, the Model X is one hell of a people hauler."

I agree their conclusion is positive evidenced by the quote mentioning the "pleasure living with what could possibly be the best people-mover extant," although that sentence began as a lament over the falcon wing doors that MT deems a gimmick that delayed its release.

Their conclusion is about as positive as you can get and MT is echoing what many think: "It’d be a better SUV without the falcon doors, the monopost seats, and the windshield, but as it sits now, the Model X is one hell of a people hauler."

The MT conclusion makes no sense: without those items, it would be a minivan.

Reactions: hoang51
Why The Tesla Model X Will Make You Want an American SUV

By The Drive

Good auto writers have to have a lede that will hook you. How about:

"The Model X P90D represents everything I hate. It’s an awkwardly-proportioned, 5440 pound, electric, semi-autonomous, 7-seater SUV, packed full of technology that cannot possibly last, from a company critics claim cannot survive.
And I absolutely loved it."

"I’ve never felt safe driving an SUV as I would a sports car, until now. Even my old Cayenne Turbo was a brick by comparison.
"

"The Model X is the SUV someone else would have built if they had any balls. It is the world’s greatest SUV in a class of one…a class called The Future."

Elon tweeted this article earlier today. I think he liked that last quote.

Last edited:

I lust after that windshield.

Member Tgibson posted this review earlier today by Dan Neil of the WSJ:
Tesla Model X: Electric Meets Extravagant

Neil's been an aficionado of Tesla for years, and yep, this is great writing:

"Would minivan-style doors have been a more sensible technical solution to a mid-row door opening? Infinitely. You could have done the doors off the Dubonnet Xenia easier than the Model X. But the spell these doors cast—let’s call it emotional engineering—is payoff for some of the shrewdest design money ever spent."

He also expertly handles the potential perception of the 1% cachet of the Model X as well as I've seen it addressed and mentions the CUV starts at $80K . . . when base models are eventually produced. It seems major reviews are finally popping up from Tesla-lent vehicles.

Last edited:
.... But the spell these doors cast—let’s call it emotional engineering—is payoff for some of the shrewdest design money ever spent."

I am really not a Falcon door fan (I kind of hated them since they were first shown).

But to me I see these as the perfect entrance vehicle for stars at a red carpet. Falcon Door opens up, capturing attention, then reveals starlet, who can exit gracefully from the giant opening... Entrance for them, more free press for Tesla.

Why The Tesla Model X Will Make You Want an American SUV

By The Drive...
"The Model X is the SUV someone else would have built if they had any balls. It is the world’s greatest SUV in a class of one…a class called The Future."

Elon tweeted this article earlier today. I think he liked that last quote.

And I really like the reviewer's American Dream reborn theme:

"
By these standards, Tesla is the most American car company there is today, and the brilliant Model X is the most American car currently on the market. It is an example of what happens when a company is willing to take risks on our behalf rather than at our expense. Whatever critics may claim about Tesla’s ability to deliver, Musk’s greatest sin is his rush to sell us something truly better, which is why I deem the X worth every penny, flaws and all.

I can’t wait for the Model 3. If you believe in what really makes American great, neither should you.
"

I don't know why I do it to myself - but I can't resist reading WSJ comments at the bottom of Tesla articles. The regret sticks to me like airport lounge smoke.

Even worse, once I start reading them I can't help but respond to some of the most biased idiots. I know it has no effect on them, but hope that others might at least recognize their misinformation as such.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Car and Driver has its full Model X review out in the June 2016 issue, and has some great things to say:

“The acceleration hits so hard that it causes an involuntary and embarrassing ‘uhhhn,’ a sound usually reserved for prostate exams… We tested the Tesla on the same day that we ran the McLaren 570S and the Porsche 911 GT3 RS at the track. Only the Model X’s acceleration caused an unintentional moan.”

“The aluminum structure is a fortress of solitude.”

Regarding the windshield, “We were left dumbfounded, like slack-jawed tourists endlessly looking upward.”

“Whoever does Tesla’s chassis tuning is a genius.”

“A thick-rimmed steering wheel…provides rich and consistent feedback that would make us break out the champagne if we found it in a modern BMW.”

“…the Model X really has no competition… even against fossil-fueled SUVs, the Tesla’s effortless performance and efficiency can’t be matched.”

The author was no fan of the Falcon Wing doors, but concedes the wow factor -- "And yet, the dumbest thing about the Model X is the first thing you will show off."

Car and Driver has its full Model X review out in the June 2016 issue, and has some great things to say:

“The acceleration hits so hard that it causes an involuntary and embarrassing ‘uhhhn,’ a sound usually reserved for prostate exams… We tested the Tesla on the same day that we ran the McLaren 570S and the Porsche 911 GT3 RS at the track. Only the Model X’s acceleration caused an unintentional moan.”

Regarding the windshield, “We were left dumbfounded, like slack-jawed tourists endlessly looking upward.”

“A thick-rimmed steering wheel…provides rich and consistent feedback that would make us break out the champagne if we found it in a modern BMW.”

“…the Model X really has no competition… even against fossil-fueled SUVs, the Tesla’s effortless performance and efficiency can’t be matched.”

The author was no fan of the Falcon Wing doors, but concedes the wow factor -- "And yet, the dumbest thing about the Model X is the first thing you will show off."

Thanks for sharing! Do you have a link? Could not find this online.

Ok, I found it -- great review and excellent summary above. I can see why there is no link -- online version is paid subscription only for now.

@Coolcarx I feel much better now : )

Speaking of which, I haven't seen @ZachShahan around here lately.

ha, thanks for the tag & thought :D

when the forum design changed, the new posts no longer showed in Feedly (which is primarily how i follow here). was right before the big Model 3 unveiling, and since i was headed to LA from Poland for that (you can see our exclusive test track photos and 20-minute video), and then was organizing our first conference (in Berlin), i decided to preserve some sanity and wait to try to subscribe again. just did so, though, so am sure i'll get addicted to discussions here again before long :p :D

i know, TMI :D but i thought TMC was about TMI :D

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian