Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X flat tire story true?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i heard that the model x is too heavy to lift via normal jack means so that only a service center can fix a flat?

this can't be true right? what if you get a flat in a remote place and need to put a temporary spare?

No, it can't be! Tesla doesn't have a monopoly on tire service or otherwise how can other local tire shops survive?

Seriously, you only need appropriate equipments and it should be fine for any handy person.

wait i guess the problem with this video is that the guy has some pro tools there it seems. my question was more on the realm of whether the model x contains all the necessary stuff to change a flat on our own.

For example does the X come with its own jack and spare tire??

• Funny
Reactions: SummitX
...all the necessary stuff to change a flat on our own...

As HugoBoss said, there is no spares or equipment included with your Tesla for flat tires.

You have a few options:

1) Call Tesla and if you are in its service area, they can send a Tesla Ranger to switch your flat for a loaner tire.

2) If you bought your own spare tire and it's with you, AAA membership can help you to switch the tires.

3) Flat towing your car to Tesla Service or local tire shop.

4) Do-It-Yourself. I am not very handy so I haven't tried or prepared for it but I think:

You'll need:

1) Homemade jack pad

2) Jack, I think 1.5 tons (3,000 pounds) capacity is good enough for Model X that weighs about 5,500 pounds (you only lift one side, not the entire 4 sides.)

3) Long nose pliers (wide enough) to pull out lug caps

4) Tire lug wrench--21 mm

5) Torque wrench & 21 mm socket (lug nut torque for Model S is 129 lb. ft or 175 Nm so I assume that's the same for X)

6) Tire repair kit to plug up the hole such as more expensive kind or cheaper kind.

7) Spare tire. Model X front tires are narrower than its wider rear tires but for the purpose of temporary spare tire, I don't think you need to haul both 2 different kinds in your car. I would just order the front tire to use as a spare for all.

8) You might want to have a 12V operated automatic shut off tire inflator too.

Good luck!

Last edited:
As HugoBoss said, there is no spares or equipment included with your Tesla for flat tires.

You have a few options:

1) Call Tesla and if you are in its service area, they can send a Tesla Ranger to switch your flat for a loaner tire.

2) If you bought your own spare tire and it's with you, AAA membership can help you to switch the tires.

3) Flat towing your car to Tesla Service or local tire shop.

4) Do-It-Yourself. I am not very handy so I haven't tried or prepared for it but I think:

You'll need:

1) Homemade jack pad

2) Jack, I think 1.5 tons (3,000 pounds) capacity is good enough for Model X that weighs about 5,500 pounds (you only lift one side, not the entire 4 sides.)

3) Long nose pliers (wide enough) to pull out lug caps

4) Tire lug wrench--21 mm

5) Torque wrench & 21 mm socket (lug nut torque for Model S is 129 lb. ft or 175 Nm so I assume that's the same for X)

6) Tire repair kit to plug up the hole such as more expensive kind or cheaper kind.

7) Spare tire. Model X front tires are narrower than its wider rear tires but for the purpose of temporary spare tire, I don't think you need to haul both 2 different kinds in your car. I would just order the front tire to use as a spare for all.

8) You might want to have a 12V operated automatic shut off tire inflator too.

Good luck!
Great list by @Tam . I would add to the list a pocket knife to trim the excess plug.
Note that plugs will only work with small punctures in the tread. If you puncture the sidewall, towing is your only option.
Also, others have reported that sealing liquids like Slime don't work on the ContiSilent tires because the foam ring interferes with the sealing.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and Tam
More propaganda from haters...

People would have you think it’s a tank, all you need is a decent jack a torque wrench and socket and bobs your uncle.

I’ve been lucky with punctures for years and not had any issues however my last eat 4x4 seems to have picked up all kinds so I’ll be getting a spare for the garage, in my experience and I don’t drive many long trips and I check my tires and pressure weekly so unlikely to have the need to repair roadside but whilst I’ve never needed to use one I think I’ll be getting one of them puncture goo kits

A couple of points. Normally, if you have tire problems, you call Tesla Roadside and they send a truck to fix or replace. If that's an issue (time, location), you can use one of the inflator kits on the Tesla website. Note that even though they sell it, the goo repair has been known to make the tire unrepairable. We've seen stories of Service Centers telling owners that tires (especially the Contisilents on X's) repaired with it are ruined because of the foam in the tire (sound suppressant) interacts with the foam goo in the repair kit. So, be aware.

Having said that, I have an inflator in my car, and that and a plug kit with plug glue would take care of many cases if you didn't want to wait for Tesla Roadside to come and swap the tire, especially if you were on a long trip.

And, yeah, many people swap their own winter tires in their garage, no biggie. Just be careful of the jack points. See this handy device to make that easier: Vendor - Tesla Model X tire service jack pad adapter

I would add to this thread (particularly to amend an earlier post about what you need) that there is a lug cap removal tool available from Tesla that isn't very expensive and would be a better option than long nose pliers, as the pliers could scratch the lug caps.

Reactions: TechVP
I plugged my Tesla tire this weekend. Picked up a roofing nail, noticed it before it started loosing air.

No need to take off car.

I’ll probably pickup a tire inflator at some point.

Edit - the BMW I had before didn’t have a spare. And when I had a sidewalk puncture flat between Phoenix and Vegas no one had a replacement.

Twitter post. Some guy said that he had to drive his friend home from somewhere bc his friend's model x got a flat and apparently was saying that only a service repair facility could fix it bc of its' weight.

The X should still be under warranty, so road side assistance should be able to help (but not sure how long is the wait at that location and moment). Tesla doesn't come with spare tire and jack, plus the jack point should be used with an adapter before using the jack otherwise you risk damaging the battery and shock. It's not true that it can only be repaired in service center but if you have no goo kit and road side assistance cannot get there in time, then calling a friend to pick up is the normal thing to do.

I doubted anyone carries a spare and floor jack (mine 2 tons wait more than 100lbs) in the trunk.

Why do you need the jack point adapter?i mean if your jack has a rubber header and you jack at the correct points and on a single corner the car isn’t going to slide so the risk to battery is surely slim.

I’ve jacked cars all my life and never had one slip and even with the adapter if the car did slide the jack head could still move to the battery etc.

Not calling anyone out just curious why you must have one? I don’t personally see the point b

A couple of points. Normally, if you have tire problems, you call Tesla Roadside and they send a truck to fix or replace. If that's an issue (time, location), you can use one of the inflator kits on the Tesla website. Note that even though they sell it, the goo repair has been known to make the tire unrepairable. We've seen stories of Service Centers telling owners that tires (especially the Contisilents on X's) repaired with it are ruined because of the foam in the tire (sound suppressant) interacts with the foam goo in the repair kit. So, be aware.

Having said that, I have an inflator in my car, and that and a plug kit with plug glue would take care of many cases if you didn't want to wait for Tesla Roadside to come and swap the tire, especially if you were on a long trip.

And, yeah, many people swap their own winter tires in their garage, no biggie. Just be careful of the jack points. See this handy device to make that easier: Vendor - Tesla Model X tire service jack pad adapter

@boaterva what tire inflator do u use?

Why do you need the jack point adapter?i mean if your jack has a rubber header and you jack at the correct points and on a single corner the car isn’t going to slide so the risk to battery is surely slim.

I’ve jacked cars all my life and never had one slip and even with the adapter if the car did slide the jack head could still move to the battery etc.

Not calling anyone out just curious why you must have one? I don’t personally see the point b
It keeps the jack away from the battery and is better for when you have someone else do it. Sure you are probably fine when you do it yourself. But when you have someone else change your tires or life the car to inspect brakes for a state inspection, the last thing you want is them denting the pack.

'Jacking cars all your life' isn't really applicable to Teslas. :D Last thing you want is the jack on the battery! The adapter has a soft-ish bottom just so the jack can't slide and it stays in the holes with the magnet.

If you're happy using a jack directly, have at it! There are tons of stories here of tire change places having to pay for damage done by improper jacking.