Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X flat tire story true?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, the Owner's Manual (PDF) says to set the air suspension to "Very High", not "Low" as he does in the video.

And I didn't realize the front and rear tires were different sizes, so no trips to the tire store for rotations any more? Suits me!

I know some Performance Model Ss have different sizes, but most Model S have the same size tires all around. I would double check to make sure your tires are different sizes.
The Model X is staggered from the factory. There are two scenarios that lead to a Model X not being staggered:
1) Purchase of a non-staggered snow tire set from Tesla (there are staggered snow tire sets available).
2) Installation of non-staggered tires aftermarket (this can be done with aftermarket wheels or when the difference in width between the front and back factory rims is minimal enough that the same size tire will technically fit all of them).

I don't know if/how the vehicle thinks it knows whether or not the currently installed tires are staggered.

What I carry for long drive is the Modern Spare kit. Everything that I need in the event of a flat is just inside the carrying case that they included, I just toss it in the trunk for long drive then leave it in my garage on normal days.

I was looking at the options to fix a punctured tire on the road and had one question: Is it possible to plug a tire with a kit like this without jacking the X up? Ideally, if I can move around with only a tire plug kit and a portable compressor in my car that would be the best :)

Thanks!

Yeah it's possible, but can be tricky to locate the puncture and then you obviously have to move the car to access the punctured part of the tyre. Carry a good torch and gloves etc for working in the dark and cold.

I carry a plug repair kit, 12V tyre inflator and also a couple of cans of heavy duty tyre weld as a last resort or very quick fix if it's not safe to mess around trying to repair it on the spot. Hopefully enough kit to bodge up a tyre enough to limp home or at least somewhere safe.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bogobec
It's the same sealant you can buy in any auto parts store. I think someone actually found the kit Tesla rebranded on Amazon. This was a few years ago so they may have a different one now.

I tried using the sealant once when I had what turned out to be a bad flat. I had a chunk of metal in the tire. The tire shop that put in a plug was able to clean out the sealant. The hole was big enough they recommended replacing my tires a little early (they were getting near the end of life anyway) which is what I did. But they didn't complain about the sealant.

The tire is the problem not the jack. I carry an inflated spare in my "hole" in the far back of the trunk when on long trips. Still leaves a lot of room for luggage. Only had to use it once but glad I had it. The hole under the floor is a good fit for an inflated spare, I strap mine in with tie downs and put my windshield cleaning equipment in a bucket in the center of the tire for long trips.

Hi All,

After much grief with tires lately (Not with the X), I bought the Modern Spare kit.
It fits nicely over seats 6 and 7 which are always folded.
The jack and other hardware are in the trunk pit.
The rear mat is a 3D Maxpider. You can see the fold line
where I am able to open the trunk without interference from the tire.
I am happy with it. I have not had to use it...
Modern Spare.jpg

Shawn

Have you considered getting a tow hitch mount that can hold your spare to free up the room? Some can pivot out of the way of the rear trunk .
I normally travel with a bike on back sometimes a boat so the hitch is not usually usable. There is a surprising amount of luggage space left in font of the tire with the second row seats up and a huge amount with the seats down.