Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Flawed or Flawless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
As delivery ramps up, I and many others are deeply concerned about the build quality and issues individuals face with their Model X.

I created a poll and would appecitate it if owners can answer it. If I am missing an option please click other and type your answer:

POLL
RESULTS

I am unable to use the built in TMC poll as it limits to 10 possible responses

Tesla already knows of the service issues reported for every vehicle. Some have already generated TSB's to be addressed when the cars come in. They're looking at all the issues worked daily -- I don't think sending this to Tesla gives them any information they didn't already have.

Reactions: omarsultan
Tesla already knows of the service issues reported for every vehicle. Some have already generated TSB's to be addressed when the cars come in. They're looking at all the issues worked daily -- I don't think sending this to Tesla gives them any information they didn't already have.

I see, at least this data can be helpful to future owners (like me)

For those of you relatively newish to the forums, there are several threads where the topic of polls on TMC are discussed. As much as you would love to claim significance for any polls posted here, there are many, many flaws with any polls that are conducted here. The best you can do is use it for anecdotal data.

It is not "funny but wrong" - it's basic Statistics 101.

From Essentials of Statistics, 5th ed., by Triola:

* Sampling Method: With voluntary response samples (self-selected samples), we can draw valid conclusions only about the specific group of people who chose to participate; nevertheless, such samples are often incorrectly used to assert or imply conclusions about a larger population. From a statistical viewpoint, such a sample is fundamentally flawed and should not be used for making general statements about a larger population.

* Small Samples: Conclusions should not be based on samples that are far too small.

* Loaded Questions: If survey questions are not worded carefully, the results of a study can be misleading.

* Order of Questions: Sometimes survey questions are unintentionally loaded by such factors as the order of the items being considered.

You can use it as anecdotal data, but the minute you try and quote a percentage or anything other than "directionally", you've violated proper statistical analysis.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
There is no doubt the early deliveries have problems. We all know that. Also the people who reported no problem may not realize their problem yet. All latchs are the same, if one person had problem, all will. Things will turn once they put new version of the latch on newer Xs to completely eliminate this problem.

Last edited:
Whenever a poll here shows something overly positive.. it's cool. Show something negative? BUT NOOOOO! It's meaningless!!

We've had 50/50 polls here before. We all get the sample size it represents. Doesn't mean just dismiss it and never run a poll again.

For those of you relatively newish to the forums, there are several threads where the topic of polls on TMC are discussed. As much as you would love to claim significance for any polls posted here, there are many, many flaws with any polls that are conducted here. The best you can do is use it for anecdotal data.

It is not "funny but wrong" - it's basic Statistics 101.

From Essentials of Statistics, 5th ed., by Triola:

You can use it as anecdotal data, but the minute you try and quote a percentage or anything other than "directionally", you've violated proper statistical analysis.

FlasherZ, given the doubts regarding statistics, let's take any statistics out of the equation. At this point, there have been roughly 1000 Model X's delivered (this number might even be high, considering that I still don't have a delivery date for my SigX VIN #484). Unless you believe people in the poll are outright lying, there are at least 50 failures there. Let's assume for the sake of argument that these 50 failures are the only ones out of all deliveries -- this still gives a failure rate of 50/1000 or 5 percent. That is pretty bad for a $140K car that has been delayed so very long "in order to make sure that everything is perfect".

Now, of course, reason dictates that these 56 respondees are not the only failures out there, so in fact the failure rate is much higher that the 5%. My guess just from following the forums and Facebook posts is the failure rate is probably in the 40-50% range. Quite unacceptable.

We are suppose to finally get delivery of our SigX soon (I hope), but at this point my wife, who is suppose to be the primary driver of the car, is quite worried about having a reliable car to drive -- this feeling for a brand new $140K car is an indication that something is very wrong.

Ron
SigX VIN #484 (still waiting, though order confirmed 9-29-2015)