TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X - Flawed or Flawless?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by K-MTG, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

As delivery ramps up, I and many others are deeply concerned about the build quality and issues individuals face with their Model X.

I created a poll and would appecitate it if owners can answer it. If I am missing an option please click other and type your answer:

POLL
    RESULTS

I am unable to use the built in TMC poll as it limits to 10 possible responses

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I voted based on the issues I had with my sig

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Tesla already knows of the service issues reported for every vehicle. Some have already generated TSB's to be addressed when the cars come in. They're looking at all the issues worked daily -- I don't think sending this to Tesla gives them any information they didn't already have.

• Like x 1
  4. K-MTG

I see, at least this data can be helpful to future owners (like me)

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

It may be helpful for augmenting (or at least prioritizing) the delivery checklist.

• Like x 1
  6. X Fan

X Fan Member

only 6% with no issues is a dismal result..........

7. Skryll

Skryll Member

It is, but keep in mind that some people that run into issues may google around and seek help here, while others that don't have issues may not know about this site.

8. X Fan

X Fan Member

^^^^
    perhaps so but sample size is 56....that’s a pretty big number relative to what has shipped to-date. Anyone involved with mfg./business would agree that a 94% failure rate is unacceptable.

9. FlasherZ

Anyone with a manufacturing or business background would also agree that self-selected polls with negative sampling bias on an enthusiast forum is bad data, and bad data is generally worse than no data at all.

• Like x 7
  10. X Fan

X Fan Member

Funny but wrong. The sample size is pretty significant vs. total deliveries..

• Dislike x 1
  11. DocZ

DocZ Member

This 100%

12. K-MTG

Only a very small percentage of owners on the forum reported no issues, it is not like only people posting negatives are joining the forum and responding to the poll.

I wish I am wrong.

13. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Yes, that is exactly how you should interpret this internet poll: 94% of MXs have failed.

• Funny x 1
  14. FlasherZ

For those of you relatively newish to the forums, there are several threads where the topic of polls on TMC are discussed. As much as you would love to claim significance for any polls posted here, there are many, many flaws with any polls that are conducted here. The best you can do is use it for anecdotal data.

It is not "funny but wrong" - it's basic Statistics 101.

From Essentials of Statistics, 5th ed., by Triola:

You can use it as anecdotal data, but the minute you try and quote a percentage or anything other than "directionally", you've violated proper statistical analysis.

• Informative x 1
  15. MBTesLosAngeles

The process is certainly flawed. The intention of the car is flawless, execution is flawed for now, but I am sure they will get it right, eventually. Just a painful revolutionary road.

16. ModelXBoy

ModelXBoy No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!

#16 ModelXBoy, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    There is no doubt the early deliveries have problems. We all know that. Also the people who reported no problem may not realize their problem yet. All latchs are the same, if one person had problem, all will. Things will turn once they put new version of the latch on newer Xs to completely eliminate this problem.

17. proven

proven Member

On one hand we had a passenger door latch issue for two days and it was fixed... on the other it is now flawless. So which should I vote for? :)

• Funny x 1
  18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Whenever a poll here shows something overly positive.. it's cool. Show something negative? BUT NOOOOO! It's meaningless!!

We've had 50/50 polls here before. We all get the sample size it represents. Doesn't mean just dismiss it and never run a poll again.

19. ronmerkord

ronmerkord Member

FlasherZ, given the doubts regarding statistics, let's take any statistics out of the equation. At this point, there have been roughly 1000 Model X's delivered (this number might even be high, considering that I still don't have a delivery date for my SigX VIN #484). Unless you believe people in the poll are outright lying, there are at least 50 failures there. Let's assume for the sake of argument that these 50 failures are the only ones out of all deliveries -- this still gives a failure rate of 50/1000 or 5 percent. That is pretty bad for a $140K car that has been delayed so very long "in order to make sure that everything is perfect".

Now, of course, reason dictates that these 56 respondees are not the only failures out there, so in fact the failure rate is much higher that the 5%. My guess just from following the forums and Facebook posts is the failure rate is probably in the 40-50% range. Quite unacceptable.

We are suppose to finally get delivery of our SigX soon (I hope), but at this point my wife, who is suppose to be the primary driver of the car, is quite worried about having a reliable car to drive -- this feeling for a brand new $140K car is an indication that something is very wrong.

Ron
    SigX VIN #484 (still waiting, though order confirmed 9-29-2015)

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Any statistical will tell you that the "sample" you refer to is self-selected and not significant in any meaningful sense.