Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Flawed or Flawless?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next thing was really strange. I was trying out the autopilot. I had used it alway to my designation. I was thinking how amazing it was as it drove very similar to the way I drive. On the way back I was on a four lane street (two lanes in each directions). It had a 45 mph limit. I was in the left lane and there was a car about 4-5 lengths in front of me. I had been on this road for about 5 minutes There was a car in my right lane which was slowing to make a right turn. All of a sudden my car pulled to the right like it was following the car which was going to turn right and if I hadn't aggressive steered back in my lane I am sure I would have hit the car. The pavement lines were normal and I did not see anything abnormal. I went from probably being over confident with the autopilot/auto-steering to a making sure I am paying complete attention

Yeah, the Autopilot works flawlessly on a highway, on surface streets it's a little less reliable, watch things on your dashboard display that are highlighted in blue, that's what the car is cuing off of to steer. If the car in front of you was blue, and then somehow the blue popped over to the car making the right turn you would get something like that. I had a similar case a little while ago giving someone from work a test ride and running in autopilot behind a bus. The bus slowed to pull over to the side for a stop, but wasn't *quite* out of my lane, the autopilot decided it was out of my lane and it was going to go past, even though there wasn't room to do so safely in my lane.

I live on the south end of Merritt Island. The north end of the Island is the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge along with the Kenndedy Space Center. MThe south ten miles of the island is all residential and varies in width with most of it being one to two lots deep with the lots being 500-1000 deep each. There is only one road (SR-3) running north to south through the majority of the island and it is only one lane in each direction with no shoulder. The speed limit on this road constantly varies between 30-45 mph. The first 2 miles after coming onto the island across the south end bridge and driving north on SR-3 is 30 mph. The county police frequently give tickets on this part of the road. Knowing they are real strick on speeding on the island I have my car set to no more than 3 miles above the limit. Today I came across the south bridge and started north on SR-3. The car is going about 33 mph and before we get 1000 feet the car speeds up to over 40 mph in a 30 mph zone. I know the car uses GPS coordinates and the front camera reads the speed limit signs. I know the way it is now if I were to continue to use autopilot on this road it wouldn't be long before I have a ticket. Does anyone know if there is a way of setting the speed for a section of road to a specific mph.

Easiest thing would be to steal a 30 mph speed limit sign and prop it up on the side of the road, then drive the MX past it :) That will update the system with the new speed limit for that section of the road :) Or, go the OTHER direction (south) on SR-3 until you know you've passed at least one official speed limit sign, now turn around and head back NORTH on SR-3, the MX will see the 30mph speed limit and update it's database, keep driving north until the next speed limit sign appears, now the car knows from limit sign 1 to limit sign 2 the speed limit is as indicated on limit sign 1.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
The Model X also uses cues from the navigation database. About a year ago, someone flattened the 55 mph sign that marked the transition from 45 mph to 55 as you go out of town. Model X still knows that it transitions to 55 there and adjusts accordingly.

The Model X also uses cues from the navigation database. About a year ago, someone flattened the 55 mph sign that marked the transition from 45 mph to 55 as you go out of town. Model X still knows that it transitions to 55 there and adjusts accordingly.

Yes. That db is updated by new sign sightings by the camera. But *absence* of a previously existing sign requires manual intervention to remove the limit transition at the point where that sign was originally seen.

I don't think you will.

I'm already getting in my Model S and wondering why the doors don't auto-close for me.
I'm pleading with my wife regularly to take the Model X instead so that I can use the auto-pilot.
My kids still fight over who plugs the cars in when we get home.
I can fit 3 full beehives (sans bees) into the Model S (and haven't done the capacity test with the Model X yet).

And if that's not enough, just read Matthew Inman's cartoon again:
What it's like to own a Tesla Model S - A cartoonist's review of his magical space car - The Oatmeal

That is my big question, I have my S and love the cargo capability, just test drove the X (I can design my reservation already), but did not get thrilled about the storage in the X, I almost wish they have a 4 seat config for the X, I dont need all the extra seating, I want the extra storage.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Yes. That db is updated by new sign sightings by the camera. But *absence* of a previously existing sign requires manual intervention to remove the limit transition at the point where that sign was originally seen.

I can pretty much guarantee no Tesla AP camera has ever seen that sign when it was in place - the data is probably coming from the Navigon information (or some other source). I suppose you could try and update it, but are you sure it wouldn't just revert to the static information?

For example, our Model X will occasionally see the 25 mph limit on a side street that leaves the 45 mph highway in a "Y" configuration and will slow us down. But the next few times I went through town it did not automatically slow down to 25 mph.

That is my big question, I have my S and love the cargo capability, just test drove the X (I can design my reservation already), but did not get thrilled about the storage in the X, I almost wish they have a 4 seat config for the X, I dont need all the extra seating, I want the extra storage.
I'm wondering how awful it'd look if one of the 2nd row seats (on a 3 seat configuration) were removed from the (left or right) end of the row.

I'm wondering how awful it'd look if one of the 2nd row seats (on a 3 seat configuration) were removed from the (left or right) end of the row.
This is why I am hopeful that the next seat iteration doesn't include folding seats - it includes floor latches that allow you to completely remove the seats. The wiring harness connection could be built into the base of the seat so when you seat it (!) it connects. I would find removable seats much more useful than folding ones, personally. That's how our Odyssey does it, and it's a great solution.

Yeah, the Autopilot works flawlessly on a highway, on surface streets it's a little less reliable, watch things on your dashboard display that are highlighted in blue, that's what the car is cuing off of to steer. If the car in front of you was blue, and then somehow the blue popped over to the car making the right turn you would get something like that. I had a similar case a little while ago giving someone from work a test ride and running in autopilot behind a bus. The bus slowed to pull over to the side for a stop, but wasn't *quite* out of my lane, the autopilot decided it was out of my lane and it was going to go past, even though there wasn't room to do so safely in my lane.

Easiest thing would be to steal a 30 mph speed limit sign and prop it up on the side of the road, then drive the MX past it :) That will update the system with the new speed limit for that section of the road :) Or, go the OTHER direction (south) on SR-3 until you know you've passed at least one official speed limit sign, now turn around and head back NORTH on SR-3, the MX will see the 30mph speed limit and update it's database, keep driving north until the next speed limit sign appears, now the car knows from limit sign 1 to limit sign 2 the speed limit is as indicated on limit sign 1.
On one of Elon's recent interviews, It was either in Paris or Hong Kong he said the Autopilot works best in town in stop and go traffic. He says when he is on LA he reads his paper on the way to work. I guess I read to much into this.

On one of Elon's recent interviews, It was either in Paris or Hong Kong he said the Autopilot works best in town in stop and go traffic. He says when he is on LA he reads his paper on the way to work. I guess I read to much into this.

I don't excuse the reading, but think he's referring to stop and go commuter traffic on a highway, not an "in town" road. That makes a lot of sense to me - lots of starts and stops, cars in front and on the sides to track, clear lane markings, no intersections or pedestrians. I haven't tried autopilot yet, but the thing that would most concern me in this scenario is people suddenly jumping lanes, slipping into quite small gaps in the traffic. Or does autopilot stay close enough to the car in front that it precludes lane-jumping?

I don't excuse the reading, but think he's referring to stop and go commuter traffic on a highway, not an "in town" road. That makes a lot of sense to me - lots of starts and stops, cars in front and on the sides to track, clear lane markings, no intersections or pedestrians. I haven't tried autopilot yet, but the thing that would most concern me in this scenario is people suddenly jumping lanes, slipping into quite small gaps in the traffic. Or does autopilot stay close enough to the car in front that it precludes lane-jumping?

You set the follow distance in seconds from 2-7. So, yes. Someone can jump in front of you, but I can attest to the fact that, unlike my Prius's dynamic radar cruise control, the Tesla autopilot manages it with aplomb, hitting regen/brakes to feather the gap. If the car in front slams the brakes unexpectedly and comes to a stop so does the Tesla

POLL
RESULTS
I am unable to use the built in TMC poll as it limits to 10 possible responses
K-MTG, IMO it might be more interesting to track the trend of issues showing up/getting fixed.

Based on the information on ModelXTracker I roughly figure only 10% of the people who made reservation posted the information in ModelXTracker.
Darryl, is there a way to add entries to the my data page on ModelXTracker that owners can go update?
I am thinking, list the known major problems as check-able items and people can check the issues that they see.

We may then be able to plot trends on when the problems came and fixed.

Reactions: K-MTG and ohmman
^^^^
perhaps so but sample size is 56....that’s a pretty big number relative to what has shipped to-date. Anyone involved with mfg./business would agree that a 94% failure rate is unacceptable.

I don't think most people have any idea how often things go wrong with products. About 10 years ago I used to buy Dell 20" LCDs an laptops by the 100's and sell them on Ebay. 10% or more were DOA and 20-30% had some issue.

Most people just don't see these manufacturing issues because they buy 1 and they get lucky that the 1 they buy happens to work.

Most people just don't see these manufacturing issues because they buy 1 and they get lucky that the 1 they buy happens to work.
Actually, most people don't see them because most of the products don't have issues. That's not luck, it's statistics. Even by your loosely phrased metrics above, worst case is 40% of monitors being delivered with an issue. So most won't.

I think most Model Xs are being delivered to happy customers. I'm hopeful I'm one of them when my turn comes.