Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X For Family of 6?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own an S70D (which I love) but we now have 4 kids and even though I have the rear facing seats it is getting cramped as my boys get older. We already own an Infinity QX80 so we have a car that can transport them all, but there are many times I pick them up from school or sports and need to have the ability to haul them all also. So for those with large families, does the X work well, or should I go with a new Expedition/Lincoln to be more comfortable? Looking at the 6 seat option, but the third row seams a little snug. The X just doesn't look very big, the Suburban/Expeditions tower over them, so I'm a little concerned about the size. The youngest kids are 9 but I will be keeping the car 5 plus years. My wife is all over me to get the full size SUV like the Expedition Max but not excited about leaving the Tesla family!!

4 kids - get the navigator. I love my 6 seat X but I did 3 adults and 2 kids and one toddler. The front passenger had to have the seat forward for the rear facing car seat to fit. The two kids almost teenagers complained the whole time in the 3rd row.

My friend with the navigator takes 6 people and their junk with no problem.

Reactions: P85_DA
We have three kids and in my opinion the Model X isn't really practical for more than 5 people on a regular basis. You can squeeze more in, but the third row is not really comfortable, even for kids. The only time we use our third row is on an exceptional basis if we decide to bring along a grandparent or something like that. When that happens, we need to adjust the middle row so a couple of the kids can sit in the back and even then it's kind of cramped back there.

If you go with an X, I would get the 6 seater, not the 7. Getting in the back with 7 is a PITA, and also it feels a lot more cramped because you dont have that space up the middle each kid can stick a leg. With 5 I would get a 5 or 7, but the 6 is much better for 6. I have 2 kids (teenagers) but they were fine sitting in back when needed (for grandma/grandpa to come along) or even for longer trips with friends. Now that said, a minivan is more practical for you. My wife just traded in her MV for a M3 after 5 years with it (and I just traded in the X for a M3P) Our Hauler is a F150

Reactions: spectrum and IdaX
If you are thinking of buying new, I would get the 6-seater for everyday travel. The newer 7-seat config only has the manual middle row, and so it would be very cumbersome for the 6th person to constantly go in/out of the 3rd row.

We came from a Toyota Sienna with 4 young kids. It is a bit cramp compared to a minivan with 3 in carseats and 1 in a booster. I originally prefer a 6 seater since their tiny little legs can get some extra room in the middle but opted for the 7 seater for the occasional extra guest. We sacrifice some space to get into the Model X and we all enjoy it so far.

Model X will be a bit cramped for hauling a family of 6. Will have little space, except in the frunk to carry all their stuff.

The giant Expedition X will carry all those people at the same time better, but is a huge beast. Hard to park, guzzles fuel, does not handle, hard to fit into a standard garage etc. Kind of like those who daily drive a huge full sided pickup with full bed and extended cab. Hard to find a parking space at the stores that they can squeeze into.

If you carry everyone at the same time a lot, then the Surbarban size will be a good idea. If you rarely get everyone inside at the same time you can get by the the X.

Laughted at the Mini-van option. They are the ultimate people mover, but currently not image enhancing.

+1 to the comments on frequency of carrying all 6 people at the same time. If it's going to be a lot then go with a Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade XL. I have a 6 seat X and it works great for the most part but if I had to take all 6 all the time and all the stuff then I would have to add some hitch storage or something and that is kind of a half measure. Especially as the kids get bigger. If you want to stay electric and have a bit of time then maybe wait for the Rivian?

lol to people suggesting ICE cars that get 15MPG.

Best way for the OP to know for sure is to do an extended test drive with a Model X. 7 seater has maximum seating but is not practical for everyday transport of normal sized people. 6 seater would be best option IMO.

Just call up Tesla and ask. They let me try a model X for 24 hours.

Hey folks, his family already owns this:

2019-infiniti-qx80-3-row-seating.jpg.ximg.l_12_h.smart.jpg

Because you already have the infiniti QX80 for longer hauls with the growing family and you just need the ability to pick up the whole crew from school occasionally with your vehicle, I think a 6 seat Model X would work just fine. That way you do the occasional kid/teenage hauling thing while still getting to drive a WAY superior handling and safe vehicle all the time. Large SUV's suck to drive because of their high cog. What is amazing about the Model X (which you already probably are aware of) is the low battery pack makes it drive so much better than other especially huge SUV's. The difference between tesla vs ice in the SUV class is even more dramatic than the sedan/wagon class vehicles when it comes to handling. I am not sure how much of the non Tesla recommendations in this thread are taking into account that you already have a large SUV for the longer trips. Also remember your older kids will eventually start driving themselves.

Last edited:
lol to people suggesting ICE cars that get 15MPG.

Best way for the OP to know for sure is to do an extended test drive with a Model X. 7 seater has maximum seating but is not practical for everyday transport of normal sized people. 6 seater would be best option IMO.

Just call up Tesla and ask. They let me try a model X for 24 hours.

It may be funny but there simply is not a true full size all electric SUV out there yet. If Tesla had one, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Doing a road trip with 4 kids plus the two adults in an X is a stretch if it's longer than a weekend. Simply too much for it.

Rivian looks like they will be the first to market with one if they meet their promised date. If a decent charging network exists at that time it will be a viable option.

My hope is Tesla will get the truck platform done and build a truly full size SUV off of that. But until they do suggesting that the X can offer what a real full size SUV offers is just wishfull thinking at best. And again I say that as an owner of a 6 seat 100D.

Family of five here. Three kids in car seats in the middle row. Occasional use of the back row in our seven seater. We use a Thule hitch box for extra storage space on long trips. Works fine.

The back two seats are for small adults and children only. The middle row can be moved forward quite a bit if there are children in it. That makes for good child leg room in the back row.

The X is a decent mid-range large family hauler. Just lacks extreme storage space, and more than one or two super charger stops is tough with kids.

The 6 seat MX would be fine for short trips, and tiresome for long.

We've taken our three kids ( 7, 4, 1) on several long trips, and it has worked out fine. However, any kids older than ~10 are going to find the 3rd row cramped for long journeys.

It sounds like it would fit your needs just fine.

We've got 4 kids and are just now hauling them to Key West from Idaho in our Model X because ... well, you know, it's kind of like awesome and stuff.

I do recommend the 6-seater; it makes the 3rd row both more accessible and less cramped.

We got one of those basket storage things that plugs into the trailer hitch receiver in the back of the car to carry additional stuff when needed. Autopilot won't lane change with the basket installed, but other than that it works great to augment the stuff-carrying ability of the Model X.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Get a 6 seater Model X, and ditch the center console. Don't get the 7 seater Model X in any circumstance. It's actually the most cramped version. Get either a 5 seater or a 6 seater. In the 6 seater, the gap between the second row captains seats is enough to compensate for reduced third row legroom.