Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X For Family of 6?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get a 6 seater Model X, and ditch the center console. Don't get the 7 seater Model X in any circumstance. It's actually the most cramped version. Get either a 5 seater or a 6 seater. In the 6 seater, the gap between the second row captains seats is enough to compensate for reduced third row legroom.

Any circumstance? Yeah i guess being able to fold down the 2nd row seats flat is not a very useful utility for a SUV.

Reactions: thisisdiddy
Any circumstance? Yeah i guess being able to fold down the 2nd row seats flat is not a very useful utility for a SUV.
You're right, the 7 seater is the best balance between the ability to haul cargo or passengers. I also know you love disagreeing with me and being passive aggressive about everything, but my advice was for OP, not for you. OP asked for the most comfortable setup for passengers.

I have a 5 kids ranging from 21, 15, 8 and twin 4 y/o. I can say from what you have described the 6 seater is the best option. We mostly use 6 seats as my 21y/o is in college but at the same time have relatives visiting so I had to go for the 7 seater. Given that you own another vehicle for long hauls I would not hesitate on the MX, but you should overnight test drive one.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Facebook Dan Garrett reported his 1,600 mile trip to Michigan for a family of 6 and a dog and why he chose a 7 seater Model X:

"11 pound Maltese sat on Lauren‘s lap. We went from an eight seat Yukon XL, so seven seats were necessary. Just in case the kids have a friend that want to go to soccer practice etc. But it certainly isn’t the easiest to get into the back two seats. Still a very comfortable ride to Michigan."

49511251_10205401143945072_8493522398795005952_n.jpg

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: IdaX and spectrum
We had a Town&Country, two Odyssy’s, an Explorer, and an Expedition on the big car front.

We now have an S and an X (replacing our Explorer).

There are three of us at home. We have two boys who frequent often from college and two in-law pairs that come throughout the year. We got the 7 X as even though the back row is not regularly used, when it is, it’s a huge plus. We don’t find either the second or third row cramped. When there are occupants in the last row, we slide the second up a bit. The ability to fold flat the two rows is huge for us as I am at HD all the time.

The Odyssey interior is enormous. It seemed much bigger than the inside of the X. Our ‘15 was a bit cumbersome going in and out of the 3rd row. The Explorer was certainly less roomy in the last row and even harder to get in.

I’m not sure a 7 seater S would be a good bet for 6 passengers on a regular basis. I think your trunk space would be virtually null. I haven’t seen one in that configuration but am picturing my S with the back seats.

I would suggest a 6/7 X. That’s most practical of the two models for you. The 6/7 choice becomes one of preference and use case.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: spectrum and IdaX
We had a Town&Country, two Odyssy’s, an Explorer, and an Expedition on the big car front.

We now have an S and an X (replacing our Explorer).

There are three of us at home. We have two boys who frequent often from college and two in-law pairs that come throughout the year. We got the 7 X as even though the back row is not regularly used, when it is, it’s a huge plus. We don’t find either the second or third row cramped. When there are occupants in the last row, we slide the second up a bit. The ability to fold flat the two rows is huge for us as I am at HD all the time.

The Odyssey interior is enormous. It seemed much bigger than the inside of the X. Our ‘15 was a bit cumbersome going in and out of the 3rd row. The Explorer was certainly less roomy in the last row and even harder to get in.

I’m not sure a 7 seater S would be a good bet for 6 passengers on a regular basis. I think your trunk space would be virtually null. I haven’t seen one in that configuration but am picturing my S with the back seats.

I would suggest a 6/7 X. That’s most practical of the two models for you. The 6/7 choice becomes one of preference and use case.

Good luck.

Bluestacks TextNow VPN