Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X For Sale - $80k over sticker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disgusting profit.

IMHO, no one should be profiting to that degree from a resale.
Supply and demand. If it's overpriced, the market will let him know that by the chirping of crickets. And if someone is willing to pay that much to get one immediately, then who are we to judge buyer or seller?

I'm just happy to see that there's a Model X in New York City already.

...who are we to judge buyer or seller?...
The buyer (if any) will find out what "no problems" means. At least the seller was honest enough to put the MSRP in the ad, so any buyer would know how inflated the asking price is. Too bad the buyer won't get a discount for their loss of tax credit.

I wonder how much the seller needed an SUV before configuration when the story now is "don't really need an SUV right now"?

The buyer (if any) will find out what "no problems" means. At least the seller was honest enough to put the MSRP in the ad, so any buyer would know how inflated the asking price is. Too bad the buyer won't get a discount for their loss of tax credit.

I wonder how much the seller needed an SUV before configuration when the story now is "don't really need an SUV right now"?
Yeah... "don't really need an SUV right now" may be the most ridiculous part of the ad. :)

This was bound to happen. $80k over sticker.... wow.

http://www.panjo.com/buy/215k-obo-2016-tesla-model-x-p90d-signature-248785?index=44[/QUOTE]

Many in the sales/service biz have a common expression to this common phenomena (over priced product / service) ... it goes like this;
"That's the price it's NOT selling for".
It's like looking at the 15 million dollar homes in the Sunday paper. surprise surprise - no multiple offers. Multiple counters? ... maybe ... but it aint near the asking.
:wink:

And Tesla Motors could, IMHO, decide to raise the Model X price for all buyers in the future if people are willing to purchase the vehicle at the inflated price.

That didn't happen with Model S - I've heard some of the early ones went for a very healthy premium.

Even though the $80k premium seems shocking, what does it really matter to anyone here? Obviously I sold for a premium (because I have a Founders in the queue shortly), but is there any one of us who would say 'no' to this kind of premium? He probably won't get it, but it doesn't hurt me one way or the other. I don't get all the outrage.

Are people upset with me because I made a profit on Sig2? Does the fact I did it because I qualified for a Founders somehow make it okay? Would it have been okay without the Founders in the queue?

...Are people upset with me because I made a profit on Sig2? Does the fact I did it because I qualified for a Founders somehow make it okay? Would it have been okay without the Founders in the queue?
There is nothing wrong with making a profit, but $80,000 extra is surprising to see in an advertisement and it becomes a news worthy aberration that might be reported negatively.

My first post on the subject in this thread is based on my personal opinion in the same way I find ticket scalping distasteful if profits rise above what is considered a reasonable level.

For those who have Founders orders and decide to sell, I would say that if Tesla Motors is fine with this and has no restrictions on what the market will bear, then it is up to each individual to decide how they market their vehicle.

Last edited:
For those who have Founders orders and decide to sell, I would say that if Tesla Motors is fine with this and has no restrictions on what the market will bear, then it is up to each individual to decide how they market their vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that Tesla Motors is okay with customers selling cars. I don't think they expect us to ask their permission when any of us decide to sell a vehicle that we legally own. :) (To clarify, we are not talking about selling a Founders reservation or placing an order for resale. This is about selling a vehicle that you already own, for a profit.)

In my case, I'd already configured & confirmed my order. Locked in. I highly doubt TM expected me to put two Model X into my garage. Other people might sell because personal circumstances have changed. Or maybe they just don't want a new vehicle. None of us owe an explanation as to why we sell.

Look, I get this premium is high. Very high. And I'm sure some people are shocked. I just don't get all the outrage. He might get it, he probably won't - but it seems like people are reacting very emotionally & I'm honestly curious as to why. It's not going to cause TM to raise their prices, it's unlikely going to result in a negative media piece (to the contrary, it would likely be 'so desirable, people paid this much over list') - and even if it did, TM has had much worse to deal with on an almost-daily basis.

It's like being upset that someone is selling their house for so much more than they paid for it ... if that's what the market thinks it is worth, then that is the price they'll be paid. And if the market disagrees, they'll either drop the price or take the house off the market.

When I hit my head on a sharp corner of the Falcon Wing Door a couple of weeks ago, the pain was so intense that I said to myself, "I am going to have to get rid of this car." My skull was sore for a week. When I think of my 45 item punch list for service, I understand why some may want to sell their Model X.

Before making a hasty decision, I feel it is better to test Model X and compare for myself when the vehicle is completed and maintained over time. I have already spent a lot of extra money to have the clear coat wet sanded so the surface was smooth for the protective wrap to be bump free. The desire is to enhance and protect the surface so others may enjoy the quality that Tesla has created now and later.

Hopefully Model X will withstand the test of time and be an enjoyable experience. I guess I am a bit old fashion when it comes to pricing. My parents believed that too. Their monthly housing rental prices were so low and quality so high, that the industry didn't include their business on the comparison charts! It may have cost them additional profits, but the public loved them and it set an example that helped keep the industry pricing reasonable.

When I hit my head on a sharp corner of the Falcon Wing Door a couple of weeks ago, the pain was so intense that I said to myself, "I am going to have to get rid of this car." My skull was sore for a week. When I think of my 45 item punch list for service, I understand why some may want to sell their Model X.

Definitely a different experience than mine. One of the things that immediately impressed me was that on my X (yours is obviously different), there were zero sharp edges. Everything was rounded. (When you have a career in product design and how it interacts with users, you look for things like that right away :)). And no way near 45 items. Wow. Can't believe you took delivery with that long of a list!

I don't think anyone here was talking about selling an X because of problems. Not sure where that came from. :)

I don't think it's old-fashioned or new-fashioned to just let the market operate. Absolutely people like your parents should be free to set their own prices. But I'll bet they didn't try to set the prices for other people. Anyway, feel like we're beating a dead horse. From your comments, I see you still believe getting a premium could impact how Tesla prices vehicles. I disagree, since it hasn't in the past. And I'm fine leaving it at that.