Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Founder Series - Facts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting: the actual tire size on Elon's X is 21" but the door jam sticker shows 22". Maybe Tesla didn't have the 22" wheels ready in time for the launch event.
The 21" wheels shown at the event appear to have been swapped out for normal 22" wheels since then. Reference the following two photos:
attachment.php?attachmentid=96959&d=1444140421.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=97572&d=1444744248.jpg

Interesting: the actual tire size on Elon's X is 21" but the door jam sticker shows 22". Maybe Tesla didn't have the 22" wheels ready in time for the launch event.
Not in dark gray they didn't.

So this begs the question did any of the cars we saw at the reveal have 20 or 22's, or did they all have 21's.
From what it looked like to me, they all did. Except Elon's black on black combo. This is just based on looks from afar though. Just looking at the dark wheels on Elon's X, they looked to be a smaller diameter. Could this have been an optical illusion? Sure. I doubt it though. Look at the videos from the press test drives ealier in the day and you can see the difference too.

- - - Updated - - -

The 21" wheels shown at the event appear to have been swapped out for normal 22" wheels since then. Reference the following two photos:
attachment.php?attachmentid=96959&d=1444140421.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=97572&d=1444744248.jpg
Thanks for that. I hadn't seen the second picture. It sure looks like they did. Unless that's another black X and not really Elon's. Easier explanation is swapped wheels though. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

There's more discussion of Elon's 21" X wheels and ultra high performance tires here...

For those of you buying sigs a model might be coming later...

If it is like earlier Tesla models, then yes, they will make many Founders' cars first, then start sig production.
On the plus side for sigs, the Founders' group can provide direct feedback internally to fix any last minute problems before the sigs get their cars.
I think this has been the plan all along... After they start making sigs, there is a chance they will still pop out some more Founders' cars if they see the need.
I am not sure what it takes to get on the Founders' list, but I suspect it involves having a substantial investment in TSLA.

TEG, do you remember how many Model S Founders series vehicles have been build in advance to the Model S Signature series vehicles?
Might be we see a comparable set of Model X Founders series vehicles build in advance of Model X Signature series vehicles.
Thank's in advance!

Yes, I believe that is correct: Founders, Sigs, then General Production

Yes it is correct. It's a manufacturing tuning process too. Because these cars are fully loaded it's far simpler for Tesla to produce logistically by keeping minimal customization. It also serves as a test run for all the options for the car for fine tuning for "not as fully featured" Sigs, and then General production.

Yes it is correct. It's a manufacturing tuning process too. Because these cars are fully loaded it's far simpler for Tesla to produce logistically by keeping minimal customization. It also serves as a test run for all the options for the car for fine tuning for "not as fully featured" Sigs, and then General production.

And there might be even some test drive vehicles included in the current production batch.
I heard that next month there should be e.g. one Model X available at the Santana Row store.