Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Founder Series - Facts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Context matters :). The first quote, I was talking about if series are indefinitely open or not. The second quote, I was talking about manufacturing order. I should have been more clear on the second quote - I didn't mean to imply 'forever'. While logically they can be made at any time, with the VIN that sets it apart, they don't do that. It made sense as a prize, but I didn't mean to imply that they keep making them indefinitely. I suspect that we will be required to configure and confirm before the last worldwide Signature goes out the door (Sig Red paint will then be retired).

A Signature could also be made at any time. The point is that when they end a series, it should stay 'ended'. Otherwise it loses that potential collectible status.

What configuration do you think will have the highest resale value? Sig Red color since it will potentially be retired? What about the interior. the shiny black looks like it will scratch very quickly.

Anyone have an opinion on the ideal founders edition config for eventual resale?

I got my call Friday and returned call today. Same story as others except my rep would not hazard a guess on the cost. He was pretty confident that production would start pretty quick, it would jump any sig in line. But even best case, the East coast 5 week train ride easily puts it into 2016. Will sell mine too but not till trying it out and showing it a lot.

Value items? Def Sig red, Maybe the new Ash wood trim. Is 6 seats attractive? lots of open space, but if you are buying a SUV people carrier I would think 7 seats. What do you think? And what about the tow package? The new White seats?

But even best case, the East coast 5 week train ride easily puts it into 2016. Will sell mine too but not till trying it out and showing it a lot.

I am toying with the idea of doing a factory pickup. It would cost me 3.5% sales tax (9.5% there vs 6% in FL) and 2400 miles, but driving cross country would be epic and probably the only time I would take the time to do so (I am a private pilot so anytime we go over 3 hrs driving distance we usually fly).

I am toying with the idea of doing a factory pickup. It would cost me 3.5% sales tax (9.5% there vs 6% in FL) and 2400 miles, but driving cross country would be epic and probably the only time I would take the time to do so (I am a private pilot so anytime we go over 3 hrs driving distance we usually fly).
Thats interesting.
As with Wisconsin's DMV Laws, If I purchase a vehicle outside Wisconsin, that will be registered IN Wisconsin, I am not supposed to pay tax at location of purchase, I would bring the Title to my Local DMV, here in WI, and pay the tax for the address where it would be registered.
If it works how you said, that would be double taxation.

Thats interesting.
As with Wisconsin's DMV Laws, If I purchase a vehicle outside Wisconsin, that will be registered IN Wisconsin, I am not supposed to pay tax at location of purchase, I would bring the Title to my Local DMV, here in WI, and pay the tax for the address where it would be registered.

California will always collect sales tax at the point of sale, even if you leave the state within hours. Other states do not. When I get to FL to register, they would credit me the sales tax I paid in CA, leaving a negative balance (which they will not refund of course).

- - - Updated - - -

Take delivery in Navada.

With Model S, what is the transit time from the factory to Nevada?

Got the call from tesla today. (Denmark) Unfortunately the production line is not ready for eu models yet [emoji24] will be informed with news after Christmas - this year I guess [emoji51] They just killed a vague hope of getting the model X founder edition this year without taxes [emoji31]

Thats interesting.

Different states, different rules. Some states will allow an out of state resident to buy and drive off with a 10-day temp tag and not pay tax. Others like California require everyone to pay taxes there. Most states will at least give you credit for taxes paid in another state. If you paid more in the other state, you owe nothing. If you paid less, you owe the difference. There have been many threads on this, and it's debated for awhile, with everyone claiming their right based on their prior experience. They're all likely correct based on the two states involved for their purchase; it just doesn't necessarily apply in all cases.

There are shipping companies that advertise services between California and Nevada specifically to avoid CA sales tax. Picking up in vegas in a common location.

OK, just a sec. We (my wife anyway) want to pick up at the factory. Thats because we want to go to the factory. That'll costs a lot. 9.5% of a whole lot which is a lot. So would the plan be to get a factory tour? How do you do that? And then hop to Vegas for a nice few days, and then drive back. Is that sufficient to say you did a factory delivery? Could a few of us line up delivery for a party in Vegas with the money we saved and convoy back?

OK, just a sec. We (my wife anyway) want to pick up at the factory. Thats because we want to go to the factory. That'll costs a lot. 9.5% of a whole lot which is a lot. So would the plan be to get a factory tour? How do you do that? And then hop to Vegas for a nice few days, and then drive back. Is that sufficient to say you did a factory delivery? Could a few of us line up delivery for a party in Vegas with the money we saved and convoy back?

Arrange for the delivery in Vegas. Ask your DS to schedule a tour. There is no rule that says you have to take delivery at the factory to get a tour. Then rent a car, fly, whatever to Vegas.

-OR-

Arrange for delivery in Vegas. Spent a few days there, and then drive to to the factory and go on the tour. There is no time requirement. The only requirement is that possession/ownership changes hands outside of CA.

Got the call from tesla today. (Denmark) Unfortunately the production line is not ready for eu models yet [emoji24] will be informed with news after Christmas - this year I guess [emoji51] They just killed a vague hope of getting the model X founder edition this year without taxes [emoji31]

So we wont be able to design any EU-cars this year.. :-(

Does this mean that the Founder will be to costly in Denmark? Can you have it delivered in another contry registered in someone elses name (selling it)?

So we wont be able to design any EU-cars this year.. :-(

Does this mean that the Founder will be to costly in Denmark? Can you have it delivered in another contry registered in someone elses name (selling it)?

They didn't rule out production of eu cars in December but it's unlikely to deliver them this year. Any ev can be registered in Denmark in 2015 with 0 tax but it has to be produced and on its way to DK. In 2016 the tax will be around 50% on top of the car price and climbing over the next 4 years. Ending at either 140 % or 180 % (not settled). In any case sales will stop next year since you can buy a Porsche for the same price then. No people with middle income will be able to afford a tesla.

The taxation applies all ev's and therefore also mx signature models reserved a year ago but there is an opening saying that ev's ordered before 9th of October 2015 can be delivered tax free up until June 2016. It's still a open issue since the reservation and order term needs to be clarified by the tax department. I also have a reservation from the 8th of October so there is still a chance.

It could be an option to have it delivered in another country and have it sold but I want to keep it. One could also think that tesla would lease me the battery as Renault and in this way shave off a good lump sum of the price - lower tax. Any other ideas ;-)

This is a surprise to me. I had thought based on the language of the referral program that we'd only have to pay the price of a 90D, which I considered to be the "base model" in the language of the program (below). Is a "P" 90D the "base-level"?

Agree with you. On the presentation of Model X the 90D was called the "base model" on the big screen.
P90D.JPG
basemodel.JPG

Here is a quote from my email (I edited with bold):
We’re pleased to confirm that your referrals, along with your Tesla account credits, have earned you the opportunity to purchase a fully loaded Founder Series Model X, which is not available to the public, for the price of a base-level Model X.

Last edited: