Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Front Camera / Obscured view in cold wet weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, apologies if this has already been addressed; I searched and didn't find anything. I'm new here.

I've noticed the patch of glass by the front windshield camera doesn't defrost so well while I'm driving in cold wet weather- the rest of the windshield clears great. (This is a 100D, purchased in early 2019.) It's enough of a problem that I get distracting alarms. Recently, I topped off my windshield washer fluid and after 160 miles went through it all while highway driving through intermittent wet snowy conditions. (The type that consumes a lot of washer fluid!) Not particularly cold but cold enough to need the defroster. The patch in front of the camera had a mix of cold dried road salt and muck that the fluid wasn't clearing.

Here are the questions: Has anyone else experienced this? Has this been addressed with newer models? Does anyone know if washer fluid with a lower freezing point helps reduce this? (The one I am currently using is good to -20 F, well below the ca. +20 to 25 F conditions I drove through most recently, so I don't think so but I'm willing to give it a try.)

Thanks for reading. Drive safe. :)

Hi @XGuard,

There is a defrosting grid that heats the area of the 3 forward facing cameras.
It is just like the defogger grid on the rear window only much smaller...
It is possible that the wiring to the grid has disconnected or broken.
Or there may be a fuse blown...
You may need a service call or a ranger visit...
Sitting still in moderately cold weather snow should melt that falls on that area
of the windshield...

Good luck,

Shawn

Hello all, apologies if this has already been addressed; I searched and didn't find anything. I'm new here.

I've noticed the patch of glass by the front windshield camera doesn't defrost so well while I'm driving in cold wet weather- the rest of the windshield clears great. (This is a 100D, purchased in early 2019.) It's enough of a problem that I get distracting alarms. Recently, I topped off my windshield washer fluid and after 160 miles went through it all while highway driving through intermittent wet snowy conditions. (The type that consumes a lot of washer fluid!) Not particularly cold but cold enough to need the defroster. The patch in front of the camera had a mix of cold dried road salt and muck that the fluid wasn't clearing.

Here are the questions: Has anyone else experienced this? Has this been addressed with newer models? Does anyone know if washer fluid with a lower freezing point helps reduce this? (The one I am currently using is good to -20 F, well below the ca. +20 to 25 F conditions I drove through most recently, so I don't think so but I'm willing to give it a try.)

Most of the time (for me), the glass over the camera is always clear because it is heated. I rarely have an issue with the front facing cameras. Much more often I get the right or left side cameras are obscured. Really sloppy days, the front facing radar will become obscured and fail, this means no TACC. Real PIA.

I've had nothing like that happen. I'm in NH/MA with similar condition and also a late 2019 X. It doesn't sound like your heater is malfunctioning around the camera. If anything, it sounds like it's to warm and drying the crud to the windshield in that area. When I got my X (and my Model 3). Both windshields had a layer of crud on them. You'd think you had it clean, but when the sun hits it just right you can tel it is NOT clean. I tried numerous things. That's when you'd see suction cup marks on the windshield too. I ended up buying Griots Class Cleaner and Griots Glass Sealer. It is extremely gentle and doesn't remove a layer of glass. It's mostly to remove water stains which can be really hard to get off. But it removed the scum. The sealer is a lot like a ceramic coating, which is a lot like Rain-X. Makes it repel water. This might help keep that area cleaner. I had to work cleaning inside too and couldn't polish or seal the inside.

Also check that your lines to the wiper arms are both connected and the nozzles are not clogged and both spraying evenly or something preventing the windshield cleaner from getting high up on the windshield.

Are you running the defrost a lot? It might be turning that camera heater on. It sounds like it's to much heat and drying crap to it.