TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model X Front doors Damage. Defect?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by GSD Rides, Feb 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GSD Rides

GSD Rides Member

Lighting was just right yesterday when I park in my garage that I saw a mirror reflection on the car. Then to freakout when I saw huge distortion in front driver door. First though was someone hit it in parking lot, but when closer review the dents are pushed outward not inwards. Something inside door push out? Out of curiosity I looked at the other side to discover same damage in same place on passenger side too. All though it was less severe then the driver side. The fact that it is in same place on both doors and the damage is pressing outwards. It tells me that it's something to do with car and not someone hitting or denting the doors.

Damage is ~13 inches over from front fender/door seem and ~3 inches down from mid door body line. It is in about same spot on both sides of car.

Please Model X owners check their cars out to see if theirs has same issue. I have already informed Tesla of my finding and have an appointment next week.

My Model X has ~16K on it. It is a 2016 Model X P90DL multi layer pearl white.

2. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

Come on. Pics or it didn't happen..

• Like x 1
  3. McManX

McManX Member

4. GSD Rides

GSD Rides Member

Photos of dents are hard to take in photo form. Here some that show the distortion. Look at pole in background. One photo for reference of what pole normally looks like vs distortion in door skin. IMG_6772.JPG IMG_6771.JPG IMG_6770.JPG IMG_6769.JPG

5. gabeincal

Yeah, with photos like this I won't be able to comment anything useful. I know it's hard to take photos of dents but angle and light should help..?

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Looks like they may be where the side crash structure is.

7. GSD Rides

GSD Rides Member

shadowing shows how they are dented outwards not inwards. Same place on both front doors. The question lies with what in there on the door and was is it pressing against the door skin. IMG_6801.JPG IMG_6783.JPG

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
  8. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

#8 vandacca, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    This is what happens when you keep your vehicle too clean. A layer of grime would hide that dent in no time. :cool:

More seriously, I'll check my door and let you know what I see...

--Update--
    I don't see any aberrations on my door. Curious, can you feel the bulges with your hand? I'll wash my vehicle this weekend and see if that brings out any "bulges"

9. GSD Rides

GSD Rides Member

Yea most people I point it out to can't see it unless I pin point it to them. I know all my cars like the back of my hand. Slightest changes get my attention right away.

10. gabeincal

Holy crap. Now THAT'S unusual. I wonder what's happening there, especially that you said it's on both front doors. If this is a production issue and if it affects the entire model x line than this will be HUGE. If it is related to your car only, Tesla will make it right and replace both front doors. Make sure that alignment and color matching (esp with pearl white) is achieved and if not, complain and complain and complain until it is resolved...

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

That's VERY strange.

12. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Might want to be careful, there is an alien from another dimension trying to pass through :p

Seriously though, that is weird. Definitely not normal. Take it to the service center and have them remove the inner panel to see what is going on. Let us know what you find.

13. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

The Tesla probably had acne, are you using the sunshade?

• Funny x 1
  14. MyModelX

MyModelX Member

I had a similar issue on my passenger side door. I think this was caused by Tesla trying to fix the door rattle issue that I had reported. I noticed the bump long after the car was serviced. But, Tesla took care of it. My car was in service for a week or so and I was given a MX loaner. So no complaints.

15. DillyBop

DillyBop Member

wow. weird.

looks like the movie Alien when that thing is trying to escape his stomach

16. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

Yeah, interesting. Was anything done to repair your door at any time, @GSD Rides? Looks like dents from the inside.

Have you noticed any sounds like, say, from a squirrel trapped in your door? :p

17. bushburner

bushburner Member

not to be an extra debbie downer try looking at your front bumper right under the T, there are dimples.
    but I would get tesla to replace both doors. That is definitely not normal. I don't see it on mines.

18. GSD Rides

GSD Rides Member

Model X is in the service center. They were left scratching their heads when they saw it. They were confused as I was of how the dents where pushing outwards. They are currently looking into it. Blizzard here in Massachusetts lost a day. So I'll give an update here once they give me word of their findings.

19. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Did you have the front door latches replaced per the TSB recently?

20. GSD Rides

GSD Rides Member

No didn't hear about that. I will research that now. Thank you for information.