Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X front end creaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model X that suddenly developed a loud creaking in the passenger side front end. The creaking seems to be related to the movement of the suspension, but I also notice it when I turn either direction. It’s not related to braking except to the extent that the suspension is compressed slightly with braking. Oddly, after about a week if this annoying sound it just stopped… it came back a week later. The car drives fine (except that 14 year old that was installed in the dash with activation of FSD), tires are relatively new, I had the service on the front end a couple of years ago for the front end shudder on hard acceleration (that stays when at the standard altitude but is much better at low or very low), and there has been no damage or anything else. I’m taking it to the SC, but I’m wondering if anyone has had this problem?

This is what they are guessing is wrong — I guess I’ll find out next week…. It sounds like someone put a racquetball in my passenger side front suspension…
Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• D90E59DF-ACBC-44FD-A230-E81474FDFD36.png
    D90E59DF-ACBC-44FD-A230-E81474FDFD36.png
    474.9 KB · Views: 1,637
Mine’s gone now (although they did try to talk me into a new Model X not to be delivered until 1/2023)…
They do great work!!! I adore the OKC Service Center!!!
Here’s the invoice…

That's great news! I have a few amazing service centers nearby; always happy with their work. Less happy that I have yet another appointment coming up :)

Absolutely no reason why any of those parts should be failing for everyone unless it was faulty parts/engineering. This is a very common X issue. Multiple threads on the first page on the same complaints. NHSTA do something!! Everyone experiencing these issues should report it to NHSTA so Tesla issues an actual fix/updated part and doesn't charge an arm and a leg for those of us out of warranty.

Reactions: MichealW
my 2016 X just started having I believe the same issue. Creaking/squeaking from the passenger front side. Gets louder if the car is on an incline or when first taking off. Also when I turn the steering wheel all the way it lightly creaks.

My 2016 Model X has started squeaking badly in the last month. Really loud. I will make a service appointment and get it fixed. I have one more year and 10,000 miles of warranty and I believe this should be covered by warranty. It was a certified pre-owned.

Absolutely no reason why any of those parts should be failing for everyone unless it was faulty parts/engineering. This is a very common X issue. Multiple threads on the first page on the same complaints. NHSTA do something!! Everyone experiencing these issues should report it to NHSTA so Tesla issues an actual fix/updated part and doesn't charge an arm and a leg for those of us out of warranty.

Yeah, I've owned cars with 200K+ miles that didn't require so much suspension work.

My 2016 MX is a nightmare up front. I've replaced both struts, upper joins, lower arms, bushings, etc. I still get a loud clanging sound on both driver & passenger side from time to time over hard bumps. Replacement struts are already making noises again, though not nearly as badly. Not even 10K miles since parts were replaced.......

On top of that my ride height adjustments stopped working a month or so ago randomly one day.

Just about ready to drive this thing off a cliff and be done with it. *sigh*

Count me in as another victim of the front suspension bugaboo. 87k miles and the front passenger side is making A LOT of noise when going over speed bumps, turning into parking spaces, and braking/accelerating (putting the suspension in a compressed or decompressed state). Obviously, I’m out of warranty. While still under warranty, I had three separate front suspension issues fixed. Seems excessive.

Reactions: Erie Electric
Looks like I'll be joining the club.

I did try and inject grease into both upper arms. Also sprayed down the rest of the bushings w/ silicone lubricant. It quieted things down to make it tolerable, but I have an appointment w/ my local SC next week.

What I have noticed is that if ambient temps are <80F, it barely makes any noise at all. If it's higher than that, it's creak city!

Reactions: Araman0
Looks like I'll be joining the club.

I did try and inject grease into both upper arms. Also sprayed down the rest of the bushings w/ silicone lubricant. It quieted things down to make it tolerable, but I have an appointment w/ my local SC next week.

What I have noticed is that if ambient temps are <80F, it barely makes any noise at all. If it's higher than that, it's creak city!

It takes a day or two before the grease injection works its way into the ball joints themselves. Should stop the creaking altogether within a few days. The more you drive, the quicker it'll happen. Some folks disconnect the joint so they can move the ball all around to work the grease after injecting ... I didn't bother. :)

It takes a day or two before the grease injection works its way into the ball joints themselves. Should stop the creaking altogether within a few days. The more you drive, the quicker it'll happen. Some folks disconnect the joint so they can move the ball all around to work the grease after injecting ... I didn't bother. :)

I have put ~300 mi over the course of 6 days after injecting. I'm not sure it's going to cure things at this point.

But, I was going to inject again tonight and then coat w/ some vulcanizing rubber to seal them back up for now. I just crossed the 100K mark, so I'm sure I'm due for some suspension work of some sort. :)

Another one joining the club, with a 2017 MX 90D. I'm being quoted £914.50 after VAT in the UK to get it fixed, a year out of warranty :(

I wouldn't mind so much, but I was expecting to have a Model Y Performance by now, and to have gotten rid of the damned Model X. This is in addition to the driver door no longer opening.

IMG_33E2C6AC18E4-1.jpeg

I have put ~300 mi over the course of 6 days after injecting. I'm not sure it's going to cure things at this point.

But, I was going to inject again tonight and then coat w/ some vulcanizing rubber to seal them back up for now. I just crossed the 100K mark, so I'm sure I'm due for some suspension work of some sort. :)

Took another look at things last night. I definitely pierced through both sides of the boot with the needle on the grease gun, so plenty of grease has worked it's way out from my injection.

Cleaned the boot with a microfiber towel, hit w/ some MAF cleaner (I have brake cleaner, but was worried that might be too caustic on the rubber. Coated it lightly w/ some vulcanizing rubber cement, and it appears to be holding. Going to clean it up again tonight and re-inject, then seal again in hopes it quiets down before my SC appointment next week.

I think i just joined this creaking club. We were away for 5 weeks and car sat undriven during that time. Two days back and it is creaking really badly at slow speeds over any bumps. I can push down on the car when it is parked and make it creak on the driver side.

QUESTION: How does one inject the grease into the boot and does it work? I can see a little rubber boot on the upper arm - do you need to get the grease in behind the boot?

I think i just joined this creaking club. We were away for 5 weeks and car sat undriven during that time. Two days back and it is creaking really badly at slow speeds over any bumps. I can push down on the car when it is parked and make it creak on the driver side.

QUESTION: How does one inject the grease into the boot and does it work? I can see a little rubber boot on the upper arm - do you need to get the grease in behind the boot?

Yes, it needs to be injected inside the boot. The way I did mine was to get a small needle for my grease gun, and inject it that way. Then I sealed the little hole in the boot with some weatherstrip adhesive. But that’s me; there’s lots of valid ways to do it?