Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X front license plate missing ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many states "require" a front license plate. Many people take their chances instead of drilling holes in their expensive vehicle and/or ruining the look of a car.

I just budget for the tickets, and if I don't get them.. I buy a share or two of TSLA. ;)

4 cars with no front plates over the last 5 years and only one ticket. The fine was $120 and was as part of "expired meter" violation, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it.
It will cost me more to have those plates put up.

Unfortunately not in Washington State where we live ☹️

I too live in Washington State...where my wife has gone without a front plate for maybe 9 - 10 years commuting on I-5 and city streets in Marysville, Lynnwood, Edmonds and other areas. Never a stop. She refuses to get a front plate but have not asked her how many tickets she would pay before capitulating. Knowing her personality...it would have to be at least a ticket a week...and MAYBE not even then. I will likewise go without one. There is a detailer in Lynnwood who even refuses to put a rear plate on who I will ask what his workaround is. My suspicion is that there is a revolving temp license, but will post later.

I think that I will at least buy the one that attaches without holes through structure...just for the time or times I might try to get into Canada. [Torklift] Can't imagine the Boarder Enforcers would take kindly to plateless unless the vehicle was a fresh purchase. Further understand that just south of the border there is a Bellingham patrolperson who lurks at freeway on ramps looking for naked cars.

Several months ago went through Freemont factory tour and spent a few hours in Menlo Park on the other side of the bay. Saw many high end cars including a half dozen Teslas. Do not recall one having front plates. Even discussed it with one Tesla owner who was the second owner of a very low vin #...he was not about to put a plate on and "deface" the vehicle.

We all have our own personal pain thresholds. DarrinR...in your driving you probably spend a lot of time in Bellevue and maybe neighboring cities which could be looking toward plateless as being a revenue source. After all, I recall about 20 years ago a certain Microsoft MAJOR stockholder getting a speeding ticket in his home town of Medina (if memory serves it was for no more than 4 mph over the speed limit).

Reactions: DarrinR
It's a fashion statement for people who drive high end cars especially sports cars to not hang the front plate here in California where it is required. My casual observation is pretty much every Porsche and 30%~50% of BMW are like that. Looks more Tesla are without than with the plate too.

In Europe it would be more obvious driving without front licence plates since every! country requires them and even Porsches and Ferarris actually put them on.
Fortunately I found some magnets you could mount them with, so if that works at least I can put them on when stopped by police.

I think the front will look better with European number plates. Will break up the front fascia a little, looks a little 'empty' without I think.
The question is how they will actually apply it. As far as I understand it, it has to be vertical in Germany or up to 30° with numbers facing up.

spritziger Kennzeichenhalter - Seite 2

So if I understand the law correctly and Tesla at a minimum has to put a vertical plate on the EU Models that could look really crappy.

Tesla-Model-X-Serienversion-Bilder-740x425.jpg

In Europe it would be more obvious driving without front licence plates since every! country requires them and even Porsches and Ferarris actually put them on.
Fortunately I found some magnets you could mount them with, so if that works at least I can put them on when stopped by police.

Since the car is aluminum the magnets won't work unfortunately.

Many states "require" a front license plate. Many people take their chances instead of drilling holes in their expensive vehicle and/or ruining the look of a car.

I doubt that people are that shallow that they wouldn't follow the rules because of how their car would look.
It is probably just that people don't know what the requirements are.
Would be good if Tesla just installed the license plate holder in those States that have this requirement.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
I doubt that people are that shallow that they wouldn't follow the rules because of how their car would look.
It is probably just that people don't know what the requirements are.
Would be good if Tesla just installed the license plate holder in those States that have this requirement.

Oh, trust me, there are many on this Forum (and elsewhere) who are exactly that "shallow". I'll probably be one of them. Why would I willingly drill holes in my $150k car?

That said, there are some mounts that go on the bottom of the car and retract + deploy the license plate as needed on the front. I may get one of those.

Reactions: MisterT2
Oh, trust me, there are many on this Forum (and elsewhere) who are exactly that "shallow". I'll probably be one of them. Why would I willingly drill holes in my $150k car?

That said, there are some mounts that go on the bottom of the car and retract + deploy the license plate as needed on the front. I may get one of those.

good idea with such mount! however I will probably skip installing license plate in front... :) I will be shallow and not spoil the look with front plate. I am getting black and I will be most likely getting those "new" old style 60's california plates (black with yellow letters)