Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X front license plate missing ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg
It does not look bad with the front plate.

I doubt that people are that shallow that they wouldn't follow the rules because of how their car would look.
It is probably just that people don't know what the requirements are.
Would be good if Tesla just installed the license plate holder in those States that have this requirement.

I'm that shallow. Grew up and lived in AZ for many years where they aren't required, and now that I moved to TX where they are required I think they look dumb. I'll just pay the tickets if I ever get any. My wife actually got pulled over a couple times and even got speeding tickets and they didn't notice the front plate or give a ticket for it.

I doubt that people are that shallow that they wouldn't follow the rules because of how their car would look.
Would be good if Tesla just installed the license plate holder in those States that have this requirement.

Oh, I'm totally that shallow. I think the Model S looks terrible with a front plate.

I'm willing to reserve judgement on the Model X until I see one with a front plate.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks all cockeyed to me.
View attachment 114401

There, fixed it for you.

Oh. Hell no. Looks like a Hitler mustache.

I've never really understood why people hate them so much. 10 dollar car, million dollar car, doesn't matter. Front plate required, put a front plate on. It's not like other people think the front plate is part of the car design. It doesn't look good. It doesn't look bad. It looks like a license plate. I'll be putting one on my S when I get it.

I've never really understood why people hate them so much. 10 dollar car, million dollar car, doesn't matter. Front plate required, put a front plate on. It's not like other people think the front plate is part of the car design. It doesn't look good. It doesn't look bad. It looks like a license plate. I'll be putting one on my S when I get it.

I think it looks really bad on the Model X & S, because they were clearly not designed with that in mind. If you look at most German cars (Porsche and sports cars not so much) you can see that the designers at least considered the space for a EU plate and it can often be fitted flat there, because no plate really isn't an option here. Doesn't look amazing, but not as bad as on the X.

2016-bmw-x5-1.jpg

I am really on the fence about this issue tbh. I do not think it makes the front ugly, but rather I'm more interested in the effects on drag coefficient. With that said, someone mentioned the aftermarket solutions for front license plate mounts (moveable ones, magnets, etc.). Would this be a good time and place for people to list what solutions they have used to have a front plate without drilling holes in the front? And which one has worked best (if you have tried multiple solutions)?

I love being diverted from serious issues by my excitement about my Model X (arriving soon). But sometimes I just have to ask whether we've lost our collective minds. There are first world problems and then there are first world non-problems that we've decided to make a fuss about. My DS will take care of mounting my license plate.

Reactions: Beantown Trio
@Drivin - That is funny. Yes, even some dealers offer suggestions on how not to mount the required plates. I lived in a state for five years that required front plates. The dealer gave me the second plate and we both placed it in the trunk, just to say we had it if pulled over. But, I was never pulled over and there were untold numbers of cars without front plates.

If I lived in a state that required a front license, I would put it in the Frunk. If pulled over tell the cop that the high-tech magnetic mount failed, so you put the plate in the Frunk and you were just on your way to the dealer to get it fixed. lol

Of course people know what the requirements are. It's not like a Tesla is anyone's first car. Most owners of a Model S have not mounted front plates, even in states that require them, and even if they put front plates on all of their other cars for decades. It just ruins the look of the Model S. By the way most owners never washed their cars themselves either until getting a Model S. Read more posts here to understand the cult of owning a Tesla.

Virginia is one of the states which requires a license plate on both the back as well as front. One evening my neighbor knocked on the door and she had my license plate and bracket in her hand. She said when she was parallel parking she backed into my car. The only damage was she knocked the plate and bracket off. I took the license plate and bracket into the house and planned on putting it back on the next day when it was daylight. The next morning I got my toolkit, plate and bracket in hand to put it back on. When I got to the car there was a ticket on the car. I hadn't even driven it and I got a ticket. According to the city law any car parked on a city street must be properly registered and have both a license plates on back and front. I was going to fight the ticket but being off for the day to fight the ticket would have been more expense then just paying it. When my neighbor found out she insisted on paying the $110. If it had been a moving violation I would have fought it and made my neighbor who owns her own law firm represent me.

Now I live in Florida which only requires a plate in the rear. I am pretty sure when I picked up the X they gave me the front bracket and left it in the trunk.

Since the car is aluminum the magnets won't work unfortunately.
I bought 4 magnets. 2 should be glued to the back of the pumper and 2 to the number plate. They were tested up to 300 kmh without loosing them.

I don't remeber to have seen a car without front licence plate in Europe. So obviously police stops someone frequently for that, which can be annoying.
Since people are not used to it, most would propably think it looks weired like damaged or naked.

Last edited: