Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X front plate mount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally wouldn't care if they drilled the front plate on. Its something thats done on most cars out there. As long as you dont have to take the front plate off, then who cares. Its not like you see the holes at all.

I've looked at things like "the law" and so many moving parts involved looks like a recipe for something to break.

Reactions: P85_DA
Whatever you do, DON'T DRILL THE BUMPER! There are several options available that are more viable solutions than ruining your bumper by drilling holes or applying strong adhesives to the finish. I've looked every one of them and compared the pros and cons of each. For the most part, the no-drill options that are available require multiple pieces of hardware that attach directly to or block up to 40% of the delicate plastic intake grille. After weighing the options that are available, I ended up developing my own that is aerodynamically invisible to the critical cool air intakes on the Model X. It works perfectly with Autopilot, parking sensors and Homelink transceivers. It is strong, self-leveling and directs road vibration and force away from the plastic grille. Thinking outside the box, I created a unique dual-pivoting arm design that makes this, by far, the easiest product to install or remove - completely on demand. The only tool you'll need (other than your hands) is the single included L-key tool to lock the theft deterrent security fasteners into place. The Slipstream Bracket is shipping now and I'm very excited to hear what fellow Tesla owners think with they received them.

• Helpful
Reactions: skip8jj
I just didn’t install it. Been over 3 years and no ticket. If I ever get one, I’ll pay it and then hopefully go another 3+ years without worrying about it.
The degree of law enforcement varies across the country. However, as government agencies continue to adopt ALPR's (Automated License Plate Readers), the significance of having a front license plate has now become more important to them. As a result, the enforcement of the front license plate laws is increasing. In Denver, Colorado, for example, the parking meter maids are issuing tickets for no front license plates. They are doing this using ALPR's. It's a guarantee - park downtown and you WILL get a ticket for failure to display a front license plate properly. Three years ago, this wasn't the case. This same electronic enforcement is also being seen in numerous other cities across the country and is expanding rapidly.

I haven't installed anything because it looks nicer without. However, I'm starting to not care so much as it's just a normal car to me now. The Evannex site says using their bracket allows it to be removed and therefore potentially increase the resale value of the car. What do you think about resale value? I highly doubt that there's any increase in resale value as the next owner would have to install his/her own front plate anyway. I'm leaning toward having Tesla drill the holes for me and calling it a day. Maybe there should be a poll.

Is that a clean enough look? (warning, this will bring out all the legalistic Nazis who'll illeally tinting too dark, or constantly run a few miles per hr over the speed limit but still warn about a vinyl license decal)
;)

20180320_140212-1.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of different options for aftermarket license plate installations available. My "pop on, pop off" solution is the new Slipstream Bracket for Model X. It holds on tight with NO adhesives, NO holes, NO magnets and NO drilling. Other than the included security key you use to lock it into place, NO TOOLS are required and installation takes just 60 seconds. Retail price is $160. However, TMC forum members can get a discount and free same-day shipping here. It's a unique option that may be worth checking out.
Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 6.27.24 AM.png

Lots of different options for aftermarket license plate installations available. My "pop on, pop off" solution is the new Slipstream Bracket for Model X. It holds on tight with NO adhesives, NO holes, NO magnets and NO drilling. Other than the included security key you use to lock it into place, NO TOOLS are required and installation takes just 60 seconds. Retail price is $160. However, TMC forum members can get a discount and free same-day shipping here. It's a unique option that may be worth checking out.View attachment 353075

Looks like this product is not out yet.
Would be interesting to see a video of the mounting process, the taking it off and back on, and the retracting action.

Looks like this product is not out yet.
Would be interesting to see a video of the mounting process, the taking it off and back on, and the retracting action.
The new Slipstream Bracket is finally in stock and available for same-day shipping. TMC members click here to get a discount plus FREE priority shipping. The Patent Pending design protects the plastic grille from damage and does not block the air intake like similar competing products. It's made from strong aircraft-grade aluminum (not plastic) and stainless steel which is guaranteed to never rust. If you don't like the idea of putting tacky adhesive tape directly on the finish of your new Tesla, or your detailer has recommended that you should avoid using the plastic bracket that comes with Model 3, the Slipstream Bracket is the best product available.

The degree of law enforcement varies across the country. However, as government agencies continue to adopt ALPR's (Automated License Plate Readers), the significance of having a front license plate has now become more important to them. As a result, the enforcement of the front license plate laws is increasing. In Denver, Colorado, for example, the parking meter maids are issuing tickets for no front license plates. They are doing this using ALPR's. It's a guarantee - park downtown and you WILL get a ticket for failure to display a front license plate properly. Three years ago, this wasn't the case. This same electronic enforcement is also being seen in numerous other cities across the country and is expanding rapidly.

If you also don't display the rear plate they won't be able to write you a ticket. ;)

The new Slipstream Bracket is finally in stock and available for same-day shipping. TMC members click here to get a discount plus FREE priority shipping. The Patent Pending design protects the plastic grille from damage and does not block the air intake like similar competing products. It's made from strong aircraft-grade aluminum (not plastic) and stainless steel which is guaranteed to never rust. If you don't like the idea of putting tacky adhesive tape directly on the finish of your new Tesla, or your detailer has recommended that you should avoid using the plastic bracket that comes with Model 3, the Slipstream Bracket is the best product available.

Any chance you can accept PayPal? Easier than filling out all my iPhone on a mobile device ;)

I got "The Law" and kept it in my frunk. I figured I'd roll as many miles without installing it and see what happened.

I finally got pulled over for not having a front plate. I simply told the officer that I had "just" received the mounting hardware (I had it for many months), and was planning on putting it on the coming weekend. He asked what I was talking about, and I asked if he wanted to see it. He did... so I opened the frunk (I don't think he's ever seen such a thing as a frunk) and showed him what it was.

He thanked me for showing him that I had everything to install the plate, and made me 'promise' that I would install it asap. The fact that I had it at the ready made him only give me a warning instead of a ticket.

I figured he would post the warning, so the next time I got pulled over, I would probably get a ticket... so I just installed "The Law" and was quite impressed with the quality... and it looks just fine.

Not as cool as an unencumbered bumper... but better than a ticket. o_O

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0