Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Front Windows “Clunk” on Full Close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve searched for other experiences and don’t think I’ve found the same situation. Seems a lot of people have experienced squealing and noise on closing and opening the windows as a result of the seals needing lubrications or other calibration or adjustment but what I am experiencing is different and consistent from left to right front windows.

At the last moment of full close pressure closing the window with the switch or when the door closes and the window extends in to the frame, there is a popping or clunking noise coming from the door/window when the last bit of full pressure is applied. Almost like a cracking knuckle. The same happens as soon as the pressure is released when the window lowers either using the switch or commanding the door open.

Anything I’ve come across regarding the front windows seems to require lubricating the seals and resetting and recalibrating the regulator, both of which I’ve done and the noise is still there. It’s consistent left to right which makes me think it might be “normal”, but wondering if others are experiencing anything similar. I feel like if it was a lose joint in the linkage or something, it likely would only be one of the windows. The windows seal great and retract/extend on door opening and closing perfect, just worried that it’s prematurely wearing something in there out. Thoughts?!

Mine is doing that too.

Only on the passenger side. It’s kind of disturbing because it sounds like the it’s really hard on the motor and eventually will cause problems.

I think it started with a recent update.

I was gonna post it but describing it or even recording it would be tricky. AMP-MX described it to a tee.

BTW way I hear an “un-pop” as well when the window comes down. The pops happen “after” the moment the window stops going up and the moment before the window starts coming down.

Not that it makes it any better, but at least I’m not the only one experiencing this and yes, it’s with both open and closing operations as well. Has anyone had any luck with service on this particular issue or will they throw it under “normal operation” category. I should have noted, it’s a 2020 MX LR+, June 2020 build - plenty of warranty left, just such a hassle to deal with! As mswlogo notes, I feel like it hasn’t always done this and maybe started after an update? Weird that a software update could potentially be the culprit of what seems to be a mechanical issue, but these cars are so electromechanically integrated, I suppose anything is possible!

Thanks for the feedback all -