Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Frunk - Power open/close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gah, tapatalk dropped my edit to that. I edited it to say "or power open/close mechanism". Done now.

FlasherZ & Green1,

On the Tesla cars (and a few other brands) I've seen, you have a power release of the first latch, but after that you need to manually release the second catch and lift the hood and there's no mechanism to raise or lower the hood with power.

Are you saying on the Model S you can fully release the hood electronically from the key fob and/or touch screen? That would seem unsafe to me as it would allow for an inadvertent release to occur while driving. Yes, you can have interlocks, but the point of the safety laws is to ensure that no point of failure (i.e. a bug in the software that allowed both catches to be released during driving) can lead to a significantly dangerous situation like would happen if a hood popped while driving.

FlasherZ & Green1,

On the Tesla cars (and a few other brands) I've seen, you have a power release of the first latch, but after that you need to manually release the second catch and lift the hood and there's no mechanism to raise or lower the hood with power.

Are you saying on the Model S you can fully release the hood electronically from the key fob and/or touch screen? That would seem unsafe to me as it would allow for an inadvertent release to occur while driving. Yes, you can have interlocks, but the point of the safety laws is to ensure that no point of failure (i.e. a bug in the software that allowed both catches to be released during driving) can lead to a significantly dangerous situation like would happen if a hood popped while driving.
That is exactly what i have been saying. On the model S when you press the release on the screen or the fob BOTH latches release and there is nothing else holding the hood down. If you have seen a model S behave differently it is because it is broken. Mine was broken originally and only one latch released, service centre fixed it by realigning the latch and now it releases both as intended.

FlasherZ & Green1,

When I double-click the key fob, I can lift the hood with one finger without touching another latch.

There are lots of other failure scenarios... I'm okay with what's there, but I really wanted power struts to lift the frunk on the X.