Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X FWD damage | Hit garage wall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be really curious to see the break-down of how it got to $18,500... Wow, just wow.
There was another update to the bill 5 pages of parts to replace the FWD, its entirely rebuilt, painted. Adjacent panels are also painted.
upload_2018-4-2_17-44-6.png

There was another update to the bill 5 pages of parts to replace the FWD, its entirely rebuilt, painted. Adjacent panels are also painted.
View attachment 291339

I had the same thing happen to me in December. Drove straight into the garage with the door fully open... My final bill was 15,000. Insurance(progressive) had a 1000 deductible and took care of the rest. Car Craft Auto Body in St Louis did a great job, cant tell anything happened, but it took forever. 7 weeks total, but it happened right before Christmas, so I imagine without holidays, they may be able to flip it quicker. All new door, same paint work, etc.

Good luck!

Come on Tesla--this is a Human Factors problem. Please fit it!

We've had several of these FWD events now. It's time to step up the warning system alerts to prevent them from occurring.

Or, just dont let the car move with the doors open! I mean, it looks cool and all to drive off while they're moving, but its not safe by any means. OR at least put a slider in the controls for the car to let the driver enable that. #lessonlearned

Reactions: dogldogl
I would thoroughly encourage / support the idea (is Tesla finally listening?) of allowing the driver to optionally disable shifting into drive/reverse if either FWD are not closed.

I would definitely enable such an option. (The notification on the instrument “cluster” and the audible notification are (evidently) not sufficient).

Allowing driver an option to disable this functionality (via global settings) allays any fears of edge-case functionality that may occasionally require movement of the vehicle with FWD open.

Please Tesla... please!

What would you buy?

I think from what I know about you, you would rather pre-emptively modify your garage first for higher clearance. :D

...another Model X. Most likely a P100D. You’re right though. Probably cheaper to get a make a bigger garage opening than pay for the damage!

I would thoroughly encourage / support the idea (is Tesla finally listening?) of allowing the driver to optionally disable shifting into drive/reverse if either FWD are not closed

Interesting. Would you support a global safety standard that prevents all vehicles from moving when any door is open?

I would be willing to bet if you tried to drive into that same garage with a Model S with the rear doors wide open, it would still cause damage.

• Funny
Reactions: HenryCH
Interesting. Would you support a global safety standard that prevents all vehicles from moving when any door is open?

That question requires a more complex answer (perhaps not immediately relevant to just a ModelX forum), particularly as it specifically calls out a “global safety standard”. I readily admit, I’m not qualified to weigh in.

But as a daily driver of a model X, approaching 2 years now, I confirm my initial request : an optional vehicle state that prevents the model X from engaging (at least) Drive/Reverse with either or both FWD open.

I’m not suggesting removing the current capability.

How about introducing the 'option' for those that would like to have it, to set a restriction that in order to move from P all doors must be closed. Like 'Chill mode' or 'Regen level' - would this be suitable?

I would also like a voice reminder if moving with doors open "Door are Open.."

All the warning beeps are similar.

Reactions: dogldogl
How about introducing the 'option' for those that would like to have it, to set a restriction that in order to move from P all doors must be closed. Like 'Chill mode' or 'Regen level' - would this be suitable?

I would also like a voice reminder if moving with doors open "Door are Open.."

All the warning beeps are similar.

My ding ding seatbelt warning doesn’t make me picker up, flinch, and duck like my boop boop door closing warning...

My insurance would cover such and accident, but it would still suck. To reiterate a previous comment, it would be nice to have a normal windshield and rear door option, with all else being the same. Or maybe a similar model, like a Model W, with normal doors and windshield. That way I can get my cracked windshield fixed while I'm at work, like with my ICE cars, instead of having to go to the service center 200 miles away and leave my X there for a week.

Or, just dont let the car move with the doors open! I mean, it looks cool and all to drive off while they're moving, but its not safe by any means. OR at least put a slider in the controls for the car to let the driver enable that. #lessonlearned

Here is one scenario that's very hard to avoid and happened to our X. My wife had gotten home a few minutes before me and was taking the kids out of the X with the garage closed due to weather. I got home and didn't think much of it, so I opened the garage and the drag link of the garage door opener made a nice deep scratch on the door. Luckily for us, there was no direct impact between the garage door and falcon wing door, but this is one scenario that we never anticipated when we first got the car.