Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X FWD damage | Hit garage wall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all, I have managed to damage the driver side FWD. Long story short, with stomach flu and a grueling 24 hr international flight, I had a lapse of judgement and mixed the parking sensor beep with FWD open beeps. The door hit the garage wall stucco. From the pictures you can see majority of the damage is to the top glass panel and trim and the door arms are misaligned so it doesn't close fully anymore.
I am planning to get the car to a Tesla approved body shop here in San Diego, any suggestions/guidance on repair timeline, insurance, out of pocket cost (if going w/o insurance for any reason) would be very welcome.

20180101_183226.jpg
20180101_183323.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
13k to replace the door, parts plus labor. Wait time for parts can be many weeks, latest similar replacement took 3 months according to the body shop.

Yowsers. I knew it wouldn’t be cheap, but 13K is staggering. The more I think about it maybe it isn’t. At least it’s covered and you now know what you are facing. Thanks for the update and I hope the broken wing is fixed in no time!

I'm just wondering why this accident can't be avoided with a simple UI fix - for example, just like you can't shift from Park to Drive without stepping on the brake, you can't do so either when the car detects any open doors (including of course, the FWD). This simple dummy-proof feature could've saved this one (and many others) from expensive repairs and ultra-long wait times. If for any reason the car needs to be in motion with the doors open, a manual override on screen could've taken care of it.

I'm just wondering why this accident can't be avoided with a simple UI fix - for example, just like you can't shift from Park to Drive without stepping on the brake, you can't do so either when the car detects any open doors (including of course, the FWD). This simple dummy-proof feature could've saved this one (and many others) from expensive repairs and ultra-long wait times. If for any reason the car needs to be in motion with the doors open, a manual override on screen could've taken care of it.
There are many scenarios where one may want to drive with the door open. For example, if you want to back up and stick your head out the door to visually look at a particular obstacle. Or having the FWD open during a parade.

You can't lock things down so much that the car becomes an obstacle to overcome. IMO, the car putting itself into park if you lift your butt off the seat to look backwards is a huge overreach of the technology. I really hope they don't take it any further.

Reactions: Big Earl
You'll regret that when the sensor quits working. Door shut, but no driving for you.

13k to replace the door, parts plus labor. Wait time for parts can be many weeks, latest similar replacement took 3 months according to the body shop.
Wholley $#!T!

Any chance getting a wreaked model X door and swapping it over?
For closure on this thread - 18.5k total bill. Geico covered it all. Door is as good as new, Amatos in San Diego (Sorrento Valley) did a great job.
Fk me thats insane. I'll stick to my dinosaurs

This is what scares me about the X. I keep cars long term, I still drive a 99 Honda civic. Its fine when it's under warranty but then..... Not looking forward to non warranty ownership in the future.

Why make it so fancy Elon?? Could of just kept it simple, I would of still of bought it.