Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X FWDs in Garage Will Not Open At All

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
About half the time we pull in to the garage the top sensor on the car detects our door opener and will not allow the FWDs to open at all. Cannot override or anything, simply just beeps at me if I try. There is no way to get them open at all. Anyone run into this and ind a solution? Our garage is pretty standard with 7' 1" door tracks and opener height. I know this will not allow full open, but it easily allows 3/4 open when I can override or they decide it is OK to open. Any thoughts appreciated, and I did already check on installing High Lift and the cost was $1200 / bay so not planning to do that.

Hmmm, do you see the “line” on the render just above the car? It should only prevent the doors from opening if the line appears next to each door too - like it sees someone directly next to the door, it won’t open the door into that person. If those lines don’t appear, and the doors open normally elsewhere, I’m stumped.

I also want to raise my garage bay doors but the $1300 I was quoted isn’t in the cards right now. But it will be nice to just say “Always Fully Open in this Location.”

You also have to check the space on the side of the car. If I park my other car under 3 feet or so to the side the FWD they will not open.

FWIW, If you open them from the screen it may show you a red arc to indicate where it sees the conflict.

You also have to check the space on the side of the car. If I park my other car under 3 feet or so to the side the FWD they will not open.

FWIW, If you open them from the screen it may show you a red arc to indicate where it sees the conflict.

Yeah definitely the top sensor "seeing" the opener, that is where the red indication it. Just thought even with that I could override with either the onscreen controls or the door opening controls in the back. Might try setting for Low instead of Automatic to see if that helps.

Yeah definitely the top sensor "seeing" the opener, that is where the red indication it. Just thought even with that I could override with either the onscreen controls or the door opening controls in the back. Might try setting for Low instead of Automatic to see if that helps.

Seem strange. My opener and track are pretty much parallel with floor and at 6 inches over the top the closed door. I never have an issue with that sensor. What I get is the a red arc from the door side that prevents it from opening all the way up because it sees the other cars.

I am curious to hear if setting the height a little lower cures the issues.

My biggest issue is that when I back out of the garage the FWD will still not open all the way every thought there is nothing above it or to the side. It only opens all the way when I get 20 feet away from the garage. Glad it never snows, and hardly ever rains where I live.

Mine did the same thing, was a sensor configuration issue. Service center fixed under warranty. Not sure if configuration meant settings or position in this case.

Starting to think this may be the issue we are having. Have not seen anyone else complaining about this and I would have thought there would be a lot of people with the same issue if our situation was not unique in some way. Will give suggestions above a try and see if that helps and get SC to check the car out too.

Yeah mine don't seem to have issues opening in my garage, just not very far... That being said, I was able to figure out that it will remember a manual door open override but it only seems to want to remember how far I want the falcon to open on one side of the car. The other side won't reopen to the same spot and I have to manually override it every time. Luckily the side that seems to remember the manual override spot is the side the kids get in and out of so it's "okay".

Jeff

Reactions: P85_DA
ours is hit or miss. even after manual override and raising the door all the way and then selecting always open fully at this location, we will close and open the same door in the next 30 seconds and it still won't open all the way. i think there's something it "sees" that it doesn't like, but i really don't know what.

Our X would get all bothered about the garage door emergency release string/handle that hangs in their line of fire. Holding the open button either on the screen or from the back seat will override the detection and keep the doors moving as long as it is pressed. Once you override to the height you want you can use the screen to save the setting.

Our X would get all bothered about the garage door emergency release string/handle that hangs in their line of fire. Holding the open button either on the screen or from the back seat will override the detection and keep the doors moving as long as it is pressed. Once you override to the height you want you can use the screen to save the setting.

I am pretty sure it does not work that way. You only have the option of Full Open at This Location or Automatic (or low setting)

The issue for me is not having to manually open the doors higher. Our issue is they refuse to open at all often even with override.

I am pretty sure it does not work that way. You only have the option of Full Open at This Location or Automatic (or low setting)

The issue for me is not having to manually open the doors higher. Our issue is they refuse to open at all often even with override.

Ok. Maybe I'm mis-remembering how it works. Reading page 9 in the manual, it does seem to infer that you can't override if it detects a side obstacle. Do you think maybe that is happening?

Ok. Maybe I'm mis-remembering how it works. Reading page 9 in the manual, it does seem to infer that you can't override if it detects a side obstacle. Do you think maybe that is happening?

Nope, indication is that the top sensor, not the side sensors, is the one keeping the doors from opening.

We back our car in. It makes it so much easier with the doors because then they are in front of the overhead garage door.

Have tried this and still get same issue sometimes. Also too tough for my wife to do on a daily basis, only about 1” clearance for the mirrors on both sides and she doesn’t trust herself.

What height should you have your garage door to not have this issue? I am building my house right now and can make the door as high as i need to. Thanks!

When we built out house in 2016 we went 8' on the garage doors with 9' ceilings. No problem with the FW doors.

Park the car outside, open the doors fully, then press "Always open fully at this location". Go back in and try to open the door to test and prepare to stop it if it's about to hit anything. This option will ignore the top/ceiling sensor only.

Mine is set to always open fully in my garage and one day it sensed something in the overhead sensor and refused to open the FWDs automatically. I had to climb on top of the car and wipe the sensor and it cleared it. I don't even know what was on the sensor.