TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Garage Measurement Requirements

Discussion in 'Model X' started by EchoDelta, Jan 16, 2014.

1. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

What volume should be clear in the garage to allow the Model X Falcon Wing Doors and Trunk to open fully?

I am assuming the trunk door could be software limited to height. We don't have confirmation the doors will do the same (and what "outward" clearance does that require).

This affects me because I have a long structural beam crossing the garage at a lower height than the ceiling, and I want to see if I need to/can park 'behind' it or 'ahead' of it. Or if I need to nix the beam. I thought I'd share my current estimates. Disclaimer: I started the cheesy way and took Model X size estimates from some other forum threads (thanks EVNow!) and then estimated measurements from images.

Hopefully others find this useful; please critique and correct and reuse as you see fit.

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 5.33.10 PM.png

to-dos: Estimate outward clearance needed if the doors open up to a lower setting on the first hinge. Figure out outward and upward arc of trunk.
    If anyone sees the MX prototype close, and has some measuring tape handy, some validation would be awesome :)

(Started a thread because other door threads are about the doors themselves, not the space around them)

2. MikeL

MikeL some guy

3. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Thanks-
    Ok so we have another extended height range estimate of 85-88 in.
    That also adds up estimating the first part of the wing measuring approx 20 inches.

If the design has sensors great to avoid dings but I would dislike it if they constantly open significantly less in the normal garage position; but need to plan the remodel soon.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

My tandem garage is pretty standard and can accommodate 100" wide and 90" tall (limited by garage door opener). When the spec's come out and it doesn't fit, I'll buy another house ;)

• Like x 1
  5. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Disco, I say you get Quote of the Day

6. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

+1

Discoducky has his priorities straight :)

7. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

I have seen that the Model S has a rear hatch sensor/adjustable opening height so why would the Model X not have it ?

8. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

My current garage door opener will probably interfere with the Falcon wings, so when my X arrives, I'll probably install the Liftmaster 8500: 8500 - Elite Series® Wall Mount Garage Door Opener
    If fits on the side of the garage door rather than the middle of the garage door.

Should free up a bunch of space in the middle of the garage and it's a pretty neat garage door opener with lots of tech features.

9. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

The size of the car is a huge issue for my garage as well. I noticed that you have 197" for the length which I believe is the same as the Model S. I always assumed that they would make the Model X longer to accommodate for the extra row of seats and stretch the car a bit, most likely by increasing the overhangs.

Does anyone have any more information on this (I know nothing is set in stone until we see the production ready model)?

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

My current opener is pretty quiet (and has myQ), but this is awesome! I don't foresee needing to replace mine anytime soon, but I'll definitely be looking into this.

11. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

I put this online so people can edit and add to their wish. Right now it's based on estimated and it's estimates all the way down.
    Tesla Model X Falcon Wing Door Measurements - Google Drive

Nice!

And Discuducky has his priorities straight.
    Maybe this is useful info too for people thinking of installing a roof reel for their HPWC.

12. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Franz mentioned 7' vertical clearance for the falcon doors.

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

14. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Yup , thanks!!
    - updated the online doc accordingly. If anyone gets estimates of rear/front bumper to the corresponding edge of the doors please also suggest - a badly placed beam or garage door opener may mean you want to back up, which may change how other stuff lays out.

15. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

I think I have enough space in my "garage". The question is if it will be ready in time.

northBarn.jpg

16. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

182181main_vab.jpg

17. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

that's not a garage for a car with falcon wings but for an entire falcon :tongue:

18. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Yah-- I'm good too.
    blimp_hangar.jpg

19. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

Yeah, the Millenium Falcon. :wink:

20. Olle

Olle Member

Variable opening angles

I am wondering if the side part and the top part of the door can open independently. That would solve both height clearance and make roof racks possible.
    Or do you think there is a mechanical linkage guiding the door sections into just one possible opening path?