Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X giveaway sleight of hand?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cue somebody to suggest that Tesla might be leaving gaps in the sequence of reservations numbers to artificially inflate the demand picture and maintain the stock price but they forgot to change the website which is why it says new orders for Model X available early 2016 even though Eds was right when he said that there'd only be 100 cars produced this year and the reason there's no launch date is that then the real demand would become apparent and everyone will see that 90% of the reservations were cancelled and suppliers won't make parts in such small numbers which is why senior management resigned and the company needs to introduce fees for Supercharging because they spent all their cash on Model X which nobody wants but has really cool laser lights under the body that change color as the car accelerates just like Audi although that might be illegal but is all perfectly plausible....

Oh look, a squirrel! ;-)
Thank you Nigel, we all need some perspective and I would like to see less negativity on this forum. For a minute I thought Fox News took over this forum.

Thank you Nigel, we all need some perspective and I would like to see less negativity on this forum. For a minute I thought Fox News took over this forum.

Honestly, I think there is going to need to be some positive news that offsets some of all of the negative before people stop speaking the truth again.

My opinion: the program is an adjustable anti-Osborne-effect factor that TM can control to some extent.
Why do I say adjustable? Did any of y'all notice that there's now a free Powerwall (installation included) at the 5-referral level?

Okay! This was more than I thought.

For the record I am certainly not a conspiracy theorist nor do I think Tesla has nefarious goals (but thanks for the good laughs NigelM and Dsm363). As far as MileHighMotering’s comment that Elon makes decisions for the good of the company, not the stock price – in this case it amounts to one and the same.

I think ChadS makes some good points re production increase (thanks also Adm) and its possible effects. But, of course, that doesn’t mean the brilliant minds at Tesla didn’t time the promotion at least partially as a distraction. I was aware of the PayPal promo but didn’t know Elon had used it at Tesla twice before – thanks Eloder.

I am surprised at your thoughts re demand issues, WK057 – I’ve read a lot of what you’ve written and you seem a very good thinker and yet I find myself disagreeing with you – the demand does not seem to have slackened off and, in fact, a new market seems to have entered into the fray. I would be interested to know why your thoughts flow thus – maybe I’m wrong!

In the end Mdemetri probably has it right – they’ll get some Model Xs out the door by September’s end even if Elon has to kick butts all night long. But production ramp up is likely going to be delayed.

That and, I still think, this was a slick move by our friends in sunny California.

My tin-foil hat explanation: Tesla does not advertise. What better way to get "advertising" into the media other than by making periodic announcements for any number of reasons. Both newspapers that we subscribe to ran stories the day following the referral program. In the end it matters not how a sale is generated. But by keeping Tesla in the news and on everyone's mind it cannot help but push a few people who are on the fence to pull the trigger.

Maybe the dastardly motive behind the Supercharger emails that went out recently was really a cunning stroke of genius to incite mild furor and receive more press! "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." (Thanks to Oscar Wilde.)

Not that I don't love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but I think it was stated by Tesla some weeks back that the incentive program was created a way of gratifying/saying thank you to, the hundreds of loyal Tesla owners who have gone out of their way to promote the brand (even offering free test drives in their own vehicles). It was mentioned these loyal owners reached out to Telsa and (like the Dalai Lama to Bill Murray in Caddyshack) asked it there wasn't a little something they could get "for the effort". Giving them bupkis at this point might be considered an insult by many and, in my opinion, they certainly have earned it!

It was mentioned these loyal owners reached out to Telsa and (like the Dalai Lama to Bill Murray in Caddyshack) asked it there wasn't a little something they could get "for the effort". Giving them bupkis at this point might be considered an insult by many and, in my opinion, they certainly have earned it!

Caddyshack - Bill Murrays story about the Dalai Lama - YouTube

On your death bed you shall receive total consciousness... So I got that going for me....which is nice.

Maybe Tesla should have just given out total consciousness...

Which is nice.