Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X gives 2nd row seat latched warning randomly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has been reporting getting this warning when she is driving the car. When I check the Settings->Seats, the image shows a second-row, driver-side seat pushed up all the way to the driver's seat. This must be a sensor issue, yes? So the two issues are the same: the seat does not know that it is in the proper position and it displays as if it were pushed all the way forward on the screen.

Anyone have this issue? Did the Service Center just replace a sensor? Thanks for your advice.

Are you referring to a bench, or a pedestal? Apparently both have latch warnings. I can't help you with a pedestal, but I can tell you that I was getting latch warnings for my bench after removing car seats because I would accidentally hit the button while unlatching the tether. I never looked at the seat settings, so I don't know if the display would have behave as you describe in that scenario, but considering that "Jack" mode displays a wheel off of the hub, I'm thinking that display could be intentional as opposed to a sensor issue. If you have bench seats and anything near the tip third row access buttons that could be hitting them, that would be the first thing to resolve.

We started having this issue recently on our 2016 Model X and took it into Tesla and they told us that they have to replace the entire seat for $4K!!! This seems crazy to us! Wondering if we should get the car back and see if the issue resolves on its own?

This happens occasionally in our 2018 X. Tesla mobile service came out and couldn't find the problem.

It is intermittent - and while it is annoying, the warning seems to go away after starting to drive.

Thanks. We're really not sure what to do. Tesla service is holding us hostage - either we pay the $4k to replace the seat (which they can't confirm is the issue) or we have to sign a waiver that we declined the repair and Tesla cannot be held liable if something should happen resulting in injuries or worse. This doesn't seem right to me.

Reactions: Yoitskenn
This is an example of when the extended warranty could be beneficial.

So far, the warning on our 2018 X has been intermittent - and seems to happen only when we have the passenger-side middle row seat in a specific position. If we slide it to another position, we don't get the warning.

When Tesla's mobile service checked it, they couldn't find anything wrong - and did not tell us we'd need to get the entire seat replaced, though unless they can train their service centers to disassemble and re-assemble the seats (if needed), it's understandable the smallest replacement part is the entire seat in this case. And, as they note, if there really is a problem - it would be safer to replace the entire seat.

Recommend noting the current (forward/back) seat position of the middle seat and then slide it to a new position - and see if the warning continues or goes away.

Thanks. We're really not sure what to do. Tesla service is holding us hostage - either we pay the $4k to replace the seat (which they can't confirm is the issue) or we have to sign a waiver that we declined the repair and Tesla cannot be held liable if something should happen resulting in injuries or worse. This doesn't seem right to me.
Tesla cannot force you to sign a release of liability to take your car.

Hi All,

This related thread says that the new "warning" is a feature...
It happens to me after I fold one of the 2nd row seats and slide it forward...

Shawn

This happened yesterday in our 2018 X.

Moved the center row seats to the rear-most position and folded them down.

When we pulled out of the garage, got the warning that one of the 2nd row seats wasn't secured (I suspect it is the passenger side seats) - warning flashed on the display as we were pulling out onto the driveway, with a warning chime.

By the time we pulled onto the street, the warning was gone.

When we stopped at a store and returned to the X for the drive home - the warning didn't appear.

The seats are securely attached - this appears to be a sensor or software issue, since Tesla wasn't able to find anything wrong when they came out to check it (over a year ago).

I got this warning a couple times in my 2016 6-seater recently. I pressed the 'down' arrow (which I believe is only available for the passenger side if the car is in gear), the seat moved slightly (even though I don't remember me or any passengers moving it, although it's certainly possible), and the warning went away. Other reports here make it sound like it would have gone away anyway even if I had done nothing? I'll try that next time...

I have the same issue and Tesla also quoted me $4k to change the seat. Just wondering if you were able to find a solution

We are having the same exact issue and also got quoted $4k to fix the seat. Just wondering if you found a fix or if you ending up charging out the seat?

Reactions: Yoitskenn