Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Glass Roof Crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My roof window cracked on the left Falcon wing recently. Took it to the service center and was charged $975!!! I informed the manager about other owners having this same problem. I feel it's a manufacturing defect or misalignment of the door that caused the crack and not a rock hitting it. Going on 2 weeks and no reply from the manager. This will be my last Tesla. Disappointed to say the least.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm
Just got a quote from the Costa Mesa SC:
RR DOOR ROOF GLASS ASY, RH(1034903-00-M) Price: $1,025.00, Labor: $87.75, Tax: $79.44 = Total: $1,192.19

What would cause the price of this repair to go from ~$425 for the 1034903-00-J part to almost triple?!?

I am with AMICA and have zero deductible glass coverage. They told me when the SC replaces my glass, have them call us and we will give SC our credit card information so they can get their payment instantly. I am wondering if SC is ok with something like this arrangement?

My premium with esurance is going up $300/year with the purchase of the Model X compared to my current car, so I decided to look at AMICA. With AMICA my insurance would go up over $1000/year! Full glass coverage would be nice, but I would need to replace the windshield at least once per year to make that worthwhile. Actually, I need to find out how glass is covered (if at all) by esurance.

I got the exact same price for the driver’s side.

Update: I got lucky and found an OEM part on eBay for 1/3 of the price. Took me a couple of hours, and paranoia of losing bolts/ripping out trim anchor pieces, but it's good as new now! Big relief that the glass and frame are one part, so no need to caulk/seal the glass yourself.

Last edited:
So you were able to find the whole glass roof assembly? Are there part numbers? I'd like to do the same but it doesn't look like eBay has a complete set, either the frame or the glass but not together. Let me/us know if you have any insight for others to search? Thanks!

Update: I got lucky and found an OEM part on eBay for 1/3 of the price. Took me a couple of hours, and paranoia of losing bolts/ripping out trim anchor pieces, but it's good as new now! Big relief that the glass and frame are one part, so no need to caulk/seal the glass yourself.

I found my invoice. It was actually $442.50
Concern: Replace passenger side falcon door glass with SOP glass that is on the shelf - glass cracked Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: 67.50 Pay Type: Customer Pay Corrections: Door Glass and Regulators General Diagnosis Found passenger side falcon door glass cracked Corrections: Door Glass - Rear - Upper - RH Replaced passenger side falcon wing upper glass Part Quantity Unit Price RR DOOR ROOF GLASS ASY, RH (1034903 -90-J) 1 375.00 375.00 Total Parts 375.00 Parts Replaced or Added Total Job Parts: 375.00 442.50

What currency are your running? My Tesla dealership charge me $1350 canadian each side of the falcon roof glass. This glasses to me is very delicate. No idea how it crack. Brought in for service for one glass crack appointment and they found out second glass on the right side is cracked as well. Mine is a 2020 model. 24000km I can only blame the stone chips. But I can not find any stone chip from my hood.

Also got hit by a rock or flying debris. $1,400 to replace the whole windshield. Worst thing was that there was flying glass debris in the car. Fortunately none went into my eyes while I was driving.

In the USA, DOT glass, which is required by law to be installed in cars sold in the US, is not supposed to do that. This seems to me to be a big deal. Your windshield doesn't seem to be in compliance with US law, and as a result, is placing you in an unsafe situation. I hope my car's windshield wouldn't do that. If it did, I would certainly take some kind of action to remedy the unsafe situation. No car is worth glass chards in your eye.

It's not armor, it will shed pieces to the interior if it's hit hard enough to puncture both glass layers. Has happened to me with the OEM Pilkington windscreen on a 2000 328i that got hit by a piece of retread that got flipped across a median, with a closing speed of about 85mph. Bunch of small bits of glass inside the car near where the hole was, but the glass still shrugged off the retread and remained intact and protective, it did not shatter completely but remained a solid piece, just with lots of cracks and a hole in it near the impact Luckily it hit on the passenger side and nobdy was over there. But it did its job. The glass is designed to eventually give enough at the point of impact to allow the remaining glass to stay there rather than shatter into 50,000 tiny cubes like a side window would

Reactions: Sir Earl Grey
It's not armor, it will shed pieces to the interior if it's hit hard enough to puncture both glass layers. Has happened to me with the OEM Pilkington windscreen on a 2000 328i that got hit by a piece of retread that got flipped across a median, with a closing speed of about 85mph. Bunch of small bits of glass inside the car near where the hole was, but the glass still shrugged off the retread and remained intact and protective, it did not shatter completely but remained a solid piece, just with lots of cracks and a hole in it near the impact Luckily it hit on the passenger side and nobdy was over there. But it did its job. The glass is designed to eventually give enough at the point of impact to allow the remaining glass to stay there rather than shatter into 50,000 tiny cubes like a side window would

Staying intact is due to the middle layer of PVB, EVA, or TPU laminated between the two glass sheets, not the flexture of the windshield.
Laminated glass - Wikipedia

Reactions: RedXowner
Had the top glass in right side FWD replaced yesterday. $1230.69 in Raleigh NC. I had to wait three weeks for part to arrive but repair took half a day. I have USAA coverage with $1k deductible. I went online last night and filed claim for reimbursement (Tesla requires immediate payment and does not deal with insurance) and had the $230.69 transferred to my bank account right after I hit "send" button!

Reactions: MrShakeHands