Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X gull wing door roof window crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Forum Brain Trust:

I was washing my Model X this evening and I noticed this crack in the corner of one of my gull wing door roof windows. The view is driver's side, and the seam is the division between the driver's door upper door frame where it meets the roof and the gull wing upper door frame where it meets the roof.

Have you seen damage like this before? We have no idea how it could have happened. Should we get the whole window panel replaced, or perhaps a Safelite guy could come out and fill it? Not sure what to do. It's not visible unless you're very tall so I'm not concerned about cosmetics. I'm more concerned about long term water intrusion.

Thanks

Model X wing door crack 2.jpg

This looks pretty typical of the wing hitting somethingwhen it opened. You might not have noticed it as the sensor isn't always accurate catching small things like a pipe or edge. Have you recently been in a garage building? My car hit something low and it cracked the glass almost the same location.

Maybe your insurance will cover it. FYI, it's about $1100 to repair by Tesla. I'm waiting for another mistake before replacing. I did have Tesla do a water intrusion test ($100), to confirm no leak issues. And I got a glass repair kit from Amazon to keep the cracked glass in place.

Good luck!

Yikes $1100.

What type of repair kit do you recommend for a corner like that?

Any windshield glass repair kit will do. It's not like it's going to look any better but at least it'll keep the glass more secure and in place.

I saw a thread back in 2016 that the roof glass was only $400 buck to replace, but I guess inflation has really changed that :(

I have been really contemplating in buying sheet of PPF (Amazon sells a 2'x5') that should fit perfectly over the roof glass. Might give a little more protection...

Will this get repaired under warranty?

Any windshield glass repair kit will do. It's not like it's going to look any better but at least it'll keep the glass more secure and in place.

I saw a thread back in 2016 that the roof glass was only $400 buck to replace, but I guess inflation has really changed that :(

I have been really contemplating in buying sheet of PPF (Amazon sells a 2'x5') that should fit perfectly over the roof glass. Might give a little more protection...

Cool, thanks. I'll pick up a kit on Amazon. I called Safelite and a glass repair place and neither of them will do any sort of repair.

I made an appointment at my local Tesla shop and they said it was around $1050 to replace the pane, including parts, labor, and tax. I'm going to wait until it gets worse before I replace it. It doesn't appear to be leaking and it is not very noticeable.

Reactions: DanCar
I had my car shipped and it was damaged underway. It’s going to the service center tomorrow. Estimate is around $1,100 for the widow replacement but it also looks like the paint was damaged.

Attachments

• EE41CACC-4D90-4A19-8BB6-57377F028629.jpeg
    EE41CACC-4D90-4A19-8BB6-57377F028629.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 127