Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X gun locker / safe placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*Moderator Note:
This is yet another appropriate gun storage thread. This is NOT a political thread. No anti-gun (or pro-2A politics for that matter) will be tolerated. Your post will be removed, you'll be warned and potentially suspended if you do so. If you do not have information directly relevant to the gun storage issue do not post. Guns are legal in the USA and so long as the topic stays within the bounds of that constitutionally protected right it is appropriate here. Again, zero tolerance for any political BS.

2CC6E884-385A-4B6D-BAB4-DE3DC4B4FAD4.jpeg
E51BB969-591A-41ED-93B0-BDB306282984.jpeg
Spent many hours researching where to place my gun locker. This is what I came up with.

There is some sheet metal on floor of the “basement” but it is not flat or level.

Decided to place it in the frunk, adds 2nd layer of security. On left or right side only, there is frame rails going front to back. Mount box to one side with self drilling/ tapping body screws on one side of box, plenty strong.
I recommend the “fort knox” gun safe, super strong. I have a cheaper one, but its ok.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone actually had their frunk broken into? Not opened from within when the owner forgets to use Valet mode. Accessed either via brute force or via the *cough* other method.

Finding a lot of handwringing but few actual reported cases.
Frunk can be easily opened by pulling a cable under the front bumper (right side). This is designed so that first responder can open the hood and disconnect high voltage battery. Unfortunately it also means frunk is the most vulnerable place for valuables.

• Informative
Reactions: aloha1906
Personally I think a cabled nanovault under the seat is the best option.

It’s still secured against smash and grabs. You also have security through obscurity.

While your solution is safer even against smash and grabs I just don’t like to advertise something in an obvious manner. Tesla Techcan pop the frunk, police can ask to see the frunk, etc.

Discretion is key.

Also, under the seat safe allows you to more discreetly store or reholster your firearm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic
I've looked into this also. The most secure may be under the rear trunk space. Not a place to get it quickly, but not bad when leaving it behind in the car. Sometimes I have it under the seat but it's tight and I'm uncomfortable leaving it behind. TMC is the type of forum that labels people who disagree with the masses.So, Chadaho you my friend are a gun nut

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just find it ironic that you want to put it in a place where you can't get to it when you are in an emergency. Chasing after a bad guy with a gun is not exactly self defense.

Without a permit, you are not allowed to have a gun that is readily accessible for instant use.. That's the point of having a storage compartment that is not within your immediate reach.

Without a permit, you are not allowed to have a gun that is readily accessible for instant use.. That's the point of having a storage compartment that is not within your immediate reach.

I get that, but why do you need it in the car and especially in that location. If someone comes and robs you, how are you going to use it. If you want to chase after him with your gun and shoot him, you will likely in more trouble than he does. What’s the point? To play Bruce Willis?

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
I get that, but why do you need it in the car and especially in that location. If someone comes and robs you, how are you going to use it. If you want to chase after him with your gun and shoot him, you will likely in more trouble than he does. What’s the point? To play Bruce Willis?

I disagreed on putting a gun safe in the frunk.

If left in the car, it should be in a cabled safe under the seats.

My first impression of people who regularly store things in the frunk is that they like drawing the attention that usually comes with storing items there. For me, that makes the location poorly suited for installing a gun safe. The second is that as mentioned, it's a well documented unsecured location. If you're just using it to transport a pistol to and from the range, then it's probably not a big deal, since you're at a location where transferring a firearm between yourself and your vehicle isn't likely to garner concern. If you're storing your weapon there when entering a location that they're prohibited however, I wouldn't want any of the extra attention associated with the frunk while securing it. It's been a long time since I got my CCW in Massachusetts, but I remember the warning from the Worcester PD that failing to conceal your concealed weapon could be interpreted as brandishing. Even if it doesn't spook some bystander, it telegraphs that you've stored something of value there, similar to storing a purse or laptop bag in the trunk.

I'm partial to under-seat storage or the trunk (with the same caveat of being aware that people can see you storing something there) where you're less likely to draw attention than the frunk.

Reactions: MXWing
Frunk can be easily opened by pulling a cable under the front bumper (right side). This is designed so that first responder can open the hood and disconnect high voltage battery. Unfortunately it also means frunk is the most vulnerable place for valuables.

Yes, that would indeed be the other method to which I referred in my post without specifically adding another how-to lesson.

The question I posed, however, remains unanswered - Has anyone actually had their frunk broken into with this or any other method other than simply tapping a couple of times on the touchscreen when the owner forgets Valet mode?

It would appear from completely unscientific observation over the past 5 years that corner window break-ins to the aft hatch area are far more numerous than frunk incursions. I know of a number of owners in SoCal who have had corner window break-ins. Not a single one who's had their frunk involuntarily visited.

Hence the question to attempt to gauge how accurate that assertion is.

I would add relative to the original question that it's worth considering the installation of more than one safe. Four, actually. Frunk, trunkwell, and inside the cabin twice. Crazy talk, I know. They don't all have to hold handguns. All kinds of shapes and sizes. I view the entire exercise as a one-time expense to help stave off the potential hassle and annoying additional expense(s) of having to replace things I'd rather not replace while on the road.

My first impression of people who regularly store things in the frunk is that they like drawing the attention that usually comes with storing items there. For me, that makes the location poorly suited for installing a gun safe. The second is that as mentioned, it's a well documented unsecured location. If you're just using it to transport a pistol to and from the range, then it's probably not a big deal, since you're at a location where transferring a firearm between yourself and your vehicle isn't likely to garner concern. If you're storing your weapon there when entering a location that they're prohibited however, I wouldn't want any of the extra attention associated with the frunk while securing it. It's been a long time since I got my CCW in Massachusetts, but I remember the warning from the Worcester PD that failing to conceal your concealed weapon could be interpreted as brandishing. Even if it doesn't spook some bystander, it telegraphs that you've stored something of value there, similar to storing a purse or laptop bag in the trunk.

I'm partial to under-seat storage or the trunk (with the same caveat of being aware that people can see you storing something there) where you're less likely to draw attention than the frunk.

If you have a CCW, you need storage in a location to where you can holster and unholster without anyone else seeing you. Full stop.

If going to a range, it can be just in the trunk area.

If going to dinner after a range shoot, it can still be in the trunk area - you just park where you can see your vehicle at all times.

NEVER EVER LOSE POSSESSION OF YOUR FIREARMS. CONCEALED ALSO MEANS CONCEALED.

Has anyone actually had their frunk broken into? Not opened from within when the owner forgets to use Valet mode. Accessed either via brute force or via the *cough* other method.

Finding a lot of handwringing but few actual reported cases.

By design it is enterable without a battery power since that is where the 12V battery for doors and other items is jumped or replaced.

There is a documented procedure for doing this and YouTube videos that show you how.