Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Hardware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was currently in the market for my first Tesla, a Model X and hoping to purchase in the next 60 days but now I'm reading there are hardware updates that are "imminent" from all the blogs so not sure how soon "imminent" really is if anyone has any ideas

Well one of the "imminent" hardware upgrades, a built in wireless phone charger, is already listed on the site... so I'd assume the others are close, but no one knows for sure. The truth is, Tesla is always updating these cars, so it wouldn't be surprising if 6-12 months from now, the cars are better/come with better hardware/options.

Best bet imo would be to try to find an inventory X and get a nice discount, then you can feel good about not having the latest and greatest because ya saved some money :)

Basically if you're waiting for the next revision you'll be waiting forever .. unlike traditional car manufacturers, Tesla can update vehicles on a daily basis .. that wireless charger for example, it's on the website, but nobody has reported taking delivery of a Model X with that new wireless charger on board.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
LOL if they come out with a 120KwH battery, my Raven will still be good (as in, I was willing to pay $XXX to get its feature-set). It's not like my car will become bad overnight. I've learned to embrace this being an Apple user for so long...

While it may be true that you're still happy with your vehicle, it's also true that a new model coming out would be a big depreciation hit to your resale value. Those of us who bought Model X's in late 2018 and early 2019 got hit with $10,000+ depreciation overnight from the Raven update and price reductions.

Of course I am still happy with my vehicle, but it sucks to lose that much money overnight. If I knew I could have waited a few months and gotten a Raven I definitely would have. The extreme unpredictability of updates can be frustrating for those who are unlucky and buy right before a big change. At least with Apple you know there is going to be an updated phone every year at the same time. With Tesla it's a total craps shoot.

This is precisely what I’m worried about. I have a pending X order that had a delivery estimate of mid March. I spoke to my advisor and said to push back for now to see if these hardware updates materialize. I’m hoping we get more of an indication soon of ETA for the release.

While it may be true that you're still happy with your vehicle, it's also true that a new model coming out would be a big depreciation hit to your resale value. Those of us who bought Model X's in late 2018 and early 2019 got hit with $10,000+ depreciation overnight from the Raven update and price reductions.

Of course I am still happy with my vehicle, but it sucks to lose that much money overnight. If I knew I could have waited a few months and gotten a Raven I definitely would have. The extreme unpredictability of updates can be frustrating for those who are unlucky and buy right before a big change. At least with Apple you know there is going to be an updated phone every year at the same time. With Tesla it's a total craps shoot.

If there is no hurry, I would just come up with a date....say March 30 or May 1.
If no changes have occurred..... then just order.
Still no guarantees, but at least you feel like you have a modicum of control.

I get your point, but in my case I have zero intention of selling my vehicle before it hits 10 years or 180,000 miles (whichever comes first). So a valuation hit from the release of something significant like a 120KwH battery has no real impact in my situation. Again, I understand your perspective though.

I second this. When I got my MX 75D (6 seater) in Sep 2018, a new 100D was $14.5k more at approx $114.5 K (6 seater). Now a new 100D with efficient motor, new seats and more is under $93K (6 seater). Approx $21.5K drop in 16 months or so. I can only imagine what's going to happen to pre-raven cars (both 75D and 100D) when they release 120kWh battery and interior updates.

I ordered a LR to replace my X 75D and now I am second guessing the whole thing. I might switch to MY. The MY and M3 is priced right IMHO.

Reactions: JCB_Arizona
I second this. When I got my MX 75D (6 seater) in Sep 2018, a new 100D was $14.5k more at approx $114.5 K (6 seater). Now a new 100D with efficient motor, new seats and more is under $93K (6 seater). Approx $21.5K drop in 16 months or so. I can only imagine what's going to happen to pre-raven cars (both 75D and 100D) when they release 120kWh battery and interior updates.

I ordered a LR to replace my X 75D and now I am second guessing the whole thing. I might switch to MY. The MY and M3 is priced right IMHO.

Agreed. I will have my MX 100D for another two years at least, but when it's time to change vehicles I am going to seriously consider a model Y. Unless they significantly update the Model X, it's not worth 2x the price of the Model Y.

It all depends on your perspective. Tesla updates frequently, such that no matter when you buy your vehicle, it's a certainty that your vehicle will become 'obsolete' (in quotes because of course it won't be obsolete--just not the cutting edge) shortly after you buy it. There are no Tesla vehicles that remain stagnant for years, nor are there to likely be any in the foreseeable future. So trying to time your purchase so as to get one more hardware change when there will be several over the vehicle's lifetime is a losing proposition.

The resale 'hit' follows a similar path--your car is going to 'lose' value several times over its lifetime due to the new cars getting better. Whether you buy 60 days before a hardware change or 60 days after, this remains the case. Further, any resale 'hit' is only realized if you were looking to sell your vehicle at the time, similar to stock market gains and losses. Over time, each resale value hit will diminish as the vehicle gets older, until you reach a point where it's largely inconsequential (eg your car is going to sell for $15k or $18k, not a huge diff relative to the purchase price and time spent trying to time your purchase exactly). Unless you are buying the car intending to hold it for only a year or two, I believe you're overthinking it.

And of course in the end, the only hit you are taking for certain is extending the period during which you do not own a Tesla. Each day that passes in that category is an 'actual' loss, and one that you can never regain.

It all depends on your perspective. Tesla updates frequently, such that no matter when you buy your vehicle, it's a certainty that your vehicle will become 'obsolete' (in quotes because of course it won't be obsolete--just not the cutting edge) shortly after you buy it. There are no Tesla vehicles that remain stagnant for years, nor are there to likely be any in the foreseeable future. So trying to time your purchase so as to get one more hardware change when there will be several over the vehicle's lifetime is a losing proposition.

The resale 'hit' follows a similar path--your car is going to 'lose' value several times over its lifetime due to the new cars getting better. Whether you buy 60 days before a hardware change or 60 days after, this remains the case. Further, any resale 'hit' is only realized if you were looking to sell your vehicle at the time, similar to stock market gains and losses. Over time, each resale value hit will diminish as the vehicle gets older, until you reach a point where it's largely inconsequential (eg your car is going to sell for $15k or $18k, not a huge diff relative to the purchase price and time spent trying to time your purchase exactly). Unless you are buying the car intending to hold it for only a year or two, I believe you're overthinking it.

And of course in the end, the only hit you are taking for certain is extending the period during which you do not own a Tesla. Each day that passes in that category is an 'actual' loss, and one that you can never regain.

I hear you. Constant improvements are great. Price drops are good to encourage first time buyers. I get this. Maybe Tesla should offer a better trade-in values for the folks who bought in the past to compensate for the lost value. We know that's not going to happen....

BTW, higher trade-in value is not uncommon. BMW does this when they release a newer model and the trade-in car is just months old.

Maybe Tesla should offer a better trade-in values for the folks who bought in the past to compensate for the lost value.

Why would they do that? They are only going to offer what they can sell it for with a profit. No reason for them to go upside down on a trade.

That, plus it's their market right now ... competition is going to have to get fierce before they start tightening their margins ... it will be a while ;)

Seems like there has always been "something new coming" since the first cars came down the assembly line.

Tesla has a policy of constant improvement. When something better/cheaper becomes available they start putting it in their cars.

About 6 Months or so ago, Tesla quietly began building the new RAVEN package. Lowered the cost of their S/X and put in new design battery packs, upgraded interiors, new seats, adaptive suspension, ceramic bearings, etc. Made S/X fantastic bargains, compared to what other companies were rolling out (or even just announcing)

Imagine they will slowly release some newer stuff, like rumored. Probably not at once, but over time. Additional software might also be released to the existing fleet as well, including some of the newer capabilities via OTA updates.

Human nature wants to get in just in time for all the new stuff, but reality is that this joy is fleeting, as even more new stuff is coming down the line...all the time.

The current lineup is pretty remarkable as they stand.

Imagine the next big thing will be the release of the PLAID performance upgrade package. Might be where all this stuff is going first. Probably trickle down into regular production, but command a significant price increase initially. Kind of like Ludicrous that used to be $20,000 premium, but now included free with performance configuration.

If I was considering a new X, I would wait until they update them to charge faster. Would make a big difference on long road trips.

Leaving aside whether or not they can reach the fabled 250, does the X charge that much slower than the 3. I have been on a fair number of road trip with my LR AWD 3 and while I am routinely (often) able to hit 140 kw the fastest I have ever seen is about 143 or 145 and after about 60% SoC, it starts to taper. Is the X that different?

(I love my 3 but I would still love to get an X)

I've got a Raven X and an LR3 and have done road trips with them both (together). On V2 Superchargers, they both can hit the max, and this translates to the X taking about 30% longer since it uses about that much more energy per mile.

On V3, the X will approach 200 kW while the 3 will approach 250 kW, exacerbating the difference. But I wouldn't say it's significant enough to have strongly influenced my buying decision (as, duh, I bought one).

It's a wild ride to be ordering any S or X right now. After all the dust settles on this back and forth of what will change, remember Musk o matic mention many times last year, no refresh on the S/X. I would expect the larger battery if ever made with be much more in price anyway. The current rated range numbers look great IMO.

Reactions: wreighven
It's a wild ride to be ordering any S or X right now. After all the dust settles on this back and forth of what will change, remember Musk o matic mention many times last year, no refresh on the S/X. I would expect the larger battery if ever made with be much more in price anyway. The current rated range numbers look great IMO.
That's where I am right now. If they release a 120KwH battery, my guess is it will be significantly more expensive. I feel like I'm getting a great car for the money, and don't want / need more. Maybe I'm being naive...

That's where I am right now. If they release a 120KwH battery, my guess is it will be significantly more expensive. I feel like I'm getting a great car for the money, and don't want / need more. Maybe I'm being naive...

Judging from the price of CT, they probably had a big breakthrough in battery size/price. If this is true, the price of 120kWh S/X could be same as today's 100kWh or even less.

Reactions: mswlogo