Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to All!

At the 11th hr, you guys saved me with this "Easter Egg" find. OF COURSE I want the better, faster charger for $15 more on a lease payment. Ridiculous that they are hiding it, but I guarantee it's because of production restraints, probably why I got fast tracked. Now when they see I found the Easter Egg, I will probably wait until July for this truck.

Worth it. 72amps is the right charger for the model X

As this X will be my first EV, answer this kindly...
with 48 vs 72A, what happens at a supercharge station as far as charge time? Is one incrementally faster at charging a near empty X 90 battery? Will I only see difference at my home charging station with 48 v 72? I had planned only the 60 A service at home, but haven't even had an electrician size up my possibilities. Thanks responders.

As this X will be my first EV, answer this kindly...
with 48 vs 72A, what happens at a supercharge station as far as charge time? Is one incrementally faster at charging a near empty X 90 battery? Will I only see difference at my home charging station with 48 v 72? I had planned only the 60 A service at home, but haven't even had an electrician size up my possibilities. Thanks responders.

Supercharger bypasses the onboard charger. So 48/72 is irrelevant at a supercharger. The onboard charger is used only when your power source is AC and the car needs to convert to DC to charge the battery. Superchargers effectively have 10 or 12 onboard charger modules to deliver direct DC at 120kW. In Europe they hit 135kW and there is some possibility of hitting 150kW

It seems they've made this option visible without the easter egg! Was just browsing the design studio on my ipad and there it was at the bottom of the option boxes! With no way to type in the easter egg while browsing on the ipad I could never see it before. ;-)

It seems they've made this option visible without the easter egg! Was just browsing the design studio on my ipad and there it was at the bottom of the option boxes! With no way to type in the easter egg while browsing on the ipad I could never see it before. ;-)

Odd. Got my invite to the config page today and the charger option was NOT visible. On neither my computer nor iPad. Just checked again while posting this. Where does it show up in the options for you? Possible that once you unlock it, it travels with your profile?

Odd. Got my invite to the config page today and the charger option was NOT visible. On neither my computer nor iPad. Just checked again while posting this. Where does it show up in the options for you? Possible that once you unlock it, it travels with your profile?
Nope. I've had access to the design studio since 11/30 and today was the first time I haven't had to use the easter egg "charger" to see it.

Or, as I postulated over at the TM forums, I have had access for so long and have entered the easter egg so many times I reached some limit that just keeps it visible all the time for me now.

In case it is a browser specific thing, I am an Apple guy with a MacBook running Safari and an iPad Mini from a couple years back.

Cheers!

I've read about 15 pgs into this and cannot find a step by step to show how to get this option added. I don't see it on my Design Studio page. I have 7 days to confirm this order. Thanks guys!

Go to the design studio in your browser. Once your options show up, simply type 'charger' on your keyboard (you aren't typing into any text field or anything) the option will be added to the page at the bottom

I haven't had time to play with this quite yet, but it seems like the Model X charger may be power-limited to 17.5 kW.

When I set it to 72A, then plug it into my home, it immediately drops the max charging current displayed on the charging screen by a few amps - sometimes 70, sometimes 69. I suspect this is due to my home's voltage tending to run a bit higher (measuring 250-251V last night). It's an HPWC that will charge my Model S at the full 79/80A.

150A EV load without the help of solar PV...

I have seen other posts here where their screen shots show full 72A charging, and since mine doesn't drop until I plug the cord in - along with varying between 69A and 70A, that seems to be the best hypothesis I can think of.

Does 17.5 make sense to you?

Not really... the ~500W difference between 70A and 72A at 250V isn't really meaningful. Wires are sized to carry 72A, regardless of voltage, and a 10V difference is unlikely to make a difference in isolation concerns. Considering the ANSI standard for power is +/- 12V (228V-252V), it wouldn't seem right to design it with that tight of a tolerance.

I'm going to send this in to see if I can get an answer.

Last edited: