Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[rumor] MX Single 60A charger

Just some info that was asked earlier.
Europa Model S have different chargers than US in the cars and SC.
Support 3phase 400v, gives 3x 240v between the three phase cables and N.
(L1-N, L2-N and L3-N --- L1-l2... Gives 400v and not supporter, need the N conductor.

One charger gives 11kW, (3x 16A) two gives 22kW (3x32A)
Cars with single charger also supports 7.4kW - 230v X 32A with Norwegian UMC, yes it is one UMC that workshop on both IT an TN grid, and one for Europe that just supports TN grid.
Norwegian IT do not have the N conductor.
Norway also have 230v three phase with 230v between L1-L2, L2-L3, and L3-L1 this is not supporter and workshop only with 230/240 and one phase.
7.4kW is OK for normal use.

Sounds like there will be a need to put the chargers outside the car and use a supercharger like dc cable to charge with. Link several 15k chargers to your home or business. 2 for single phase 3 or 6 for 3 phase. Think of as supercharger lite. Or you could install a Chademo.

Wasn't there a rumor some time ago (heard from a Tesla rep allegedly) of Tesla going to change or even recall the entire UMC. At the time we thought it would be related to UMCs breaking too often or some such reason, but just crossed my mind could these two rumors be connected?

sigurdi: Good point and info about regional charger differences. It seems possible these rumored changes to charger(s) and/or UMC could only affect some markets and not all, if they are happening at all that is.

Wasn't there a rumor some time ago (heard from a Tesla rep allegedly) of Tesla going to change or even recall the entire UMC. At the time we thought it would be related to UMCs breaking too often or some such reason, but just crossed my mind could these two rumors be connected?

I noted that in Canada, I was told by Tesla that they were no longer for sale. They do seem to have stock for replacements, but you can't buy one. I was trying to decide between a second UMC to leave at home vs. a HPWC when I discovered this.

Why would I want to compromise from 80 amps? There is nothing that states I have to charge at that high a current, but when needed, I want the fastest charge possible.

It doesn't matter what you want, only what is possible. OP states that third row seat mounting requirements leave not enough room for two 40A (10Kw) chargers, so Tesla have opted for a single 60A (15kW) charger.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we should expect a 95 kWh pack within a year of MX release. From Elon's statements I got the impression that the higher energy density cells for 95 kWh pack are ready but they are not implementing it with the release because it would increase the price too much. Next year Gigafactory starts production. So expect 95 kWh in late 2016. As the capacity increases, supercharge times will improve.

I would suggest that they are holding off on 95 or 100kWh packs not due to cost but rather that they need more time to solve (and test the solution) the higher silicon content durability problem.

Oy. Let's hope Tesla manages to fit at least 20 kW worth of charging into the Model X... it's essential in order to use the Sun Country Highway network, which blankets Canada and the northern border of the US, for road trips. And let's be honest: Tesla is never going to deploy lots of Superchargers up in low-population Canada.

Dual chargers may have been unpopular, but that's because buyers weren't paying attention. They appear to actually hold their value in the used market, unlike most options. They're *very* useful. It's the difference between a 4 hour layover (managable at midday) and an 6 hour layover (not really feasible).

If the Model X maxes out at 15 kW, well, it's not usable as a road trip car in Canada. That's something people will have to be warned about.

Last edited:
I'm in Quebec/Canada and I now see more chademo than 80/90 amps sun country plugs now. I don't think it would be so bad to only get one 60amp charger. Model-S could have 2x60amp charger potential ;-)

The Tesla site don't focus too much on the second charger like it use to be. It's not proposed when building the car, and if you know it's possible and you ask for it, it's installed after delivery.

I think it's funny that non-Canadians are suggesting what Canadians want or need.

My anecdotal case : Canadian with single 40A charger, driven 3000 km of road trips in our first month with the car, not once did we use a L2 EVSE on a trip without it being an overnight stay.

DC charging is being rolled out in Quebec rapidly in 2015/6 and Ontario through 2016. Plugshare shows a lot of new DC chargers in Quebec in just the last 4 months!

It won't be long before the 208V 80A Sun Country Highway charging network is relegated to even more occasional use mostly as destination charging.

Being a huge fan of Sun Country Highway, this just means their original mission was a tremendous success, and that a subsequent mission for DC infrastructure is the next shiny thing to look at.

And I think it's funny that the Canadians chiming in here think their country doesn't go any further West than Ontario. Or that there's nothing worthwile to see over there anyway. ;-)

BC is amazing! I found the Sun Country Highway to be very useful up there. While going to 60A wouldn't hurt many people there are a few that it would negatively impact. I hope they don't end up doing this.

They're rated in kW but operate in Amps. I can only control the input amps on my car. I can't, for example, say "give me 10 kW" and let the car adjust the amps up or down to match whatever voltage I'm getting. So it's reasonable to say you have 40 amps or 80 amps of on-board charging from that perspective.

In Europe at least they may be marketed by their nominal power consumption in kW, but in practice their actual power is capped only by the current limit they can handle.

Single charger cars can handle 16A per phase. Dual chargers can handle 32A per phase. At 207V (lowest mains voltage you could get in the UK and still be within spec) that means 19.9kW. At 253V (highest allowable) you get 24.3kW. In practice at a 3 phase public charging station with a large supply about 240V is quite usual in the UK, so you get about 23kW from your "22kW chargers".

My anecdotal case : Canadian with single 40A charger, driven 3000 km of road trips in our first month with the car, not once did we use a L2 EVSE on a trip without it being an overnight stay.

I take advantage of my dual chargers almost daily. I have 2-100 amp (80 amp delivered) EVSE in my company parking lot. If I'm out and about, I will prioritize higher power stations for my stops.

It is true, however, that with more Level 3 / Superchargers coming on-line that L2 charging may be less important for mid-trip charging, at least for Tesla owners. I have to think that as more non-Tesla EVs start coming with bigger batteries, they'll also come with larger on-board chargers and the need for high power L2 chargers will still be there.

- - - Updated - - -

I have one in my garage & many other Roadster owners do, too. Plus the entire Tesla Highway that runs the length of the West coast is populated by Clipper Creek units. Those things are beasts.

Yeah, for my office they afford the same capability as a Tesla Model S HPWC, but also allow any other EV to charge as well. I've had several Roadsters stop by.

It is true, however, that with more Level 3 / Superchargers coming on-line that L2 charging may be less important for mid-trip charging, at least for Tesla owners. I have to think that as more non-Tesla EVs start coming with bigger batteries, they'll also come with larger on-board chargers and the need for high power L2 chargers will still be there.

The primary reason I went with dual chargers is because in the very beginning - before we had Superchargers - I was calculating the need to return from a business trip at the airport (~120 miles round trip) on a Friday, and turn around within an hour or two to head to my in-laws' home (140 miles away), a trip we frequently performed.

Superchargers and chargers at the airport have eliminated that need. Can't say that I *need* 80A but I rather like it and would pay for it again in a heartbeat (it also comes in handy for parties at my home when the Tesla group shows up).

We've done 600 km on our vacation with 30A charging at destinations here in Ontario. No supercharging or DC.
I understand that 80A charging is handy for some situations, but none that I've yet come across.
A public L3 DC charger recently installed just off the 407 in Markham is an interesting development for road trips avoiding the 401.
I'll be glad to support DC charging with my dollars when they are rolled out across Ontario.