Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How big is the Menekkes Type 2 plug used by Tesla outside North America and Japan?

It is noticeably larger than a J1772 connector but noticeably smaller than a Chademo. So the progression in size is:

Tesla NA connector
J1772 connector
Menekkes Type 2 plug
Chademo
Combo CSS (arguably no worse than Chademo in connection area it is taller but not as wide. Personally I think that makes it uglier)

I have no experience with the Menekkes plug so I can't comment on usability but I sure see why Tesla made the connector the way they did after seeing the monstrous options they avoided.

I have no experience with the Menekkes plug so I can't comment on usability but I sure see why Tesla made the connector the way they did after seeing the monstrous options they avoided.

I think the reasoning is simply a seize problem. TESLA had the placement and the hiding mechanism from the NA Model S and needed something to fit into the same spot. So the shoehorned in the menekes type 2 for europe since that fit and was already the de facto standard. They were also able to adapt it for SuC. The CCS inlet is just too large for the existing on car placement of the charging port. It seems that they have the same placement for the Model X as well so what is cheaper ..... To design a new port area on the car for non NA cars or to supply adapters for the markets that need them......... My guess is that as the dynamics in sales look for now it is easier to supply adapters. But that could change depending on what happens with the local adaption of CCS in the NA and Chinese markets.

Roughly speaking the Type 2 Mennekes plug used in euro Tesla charging ports is about as big as the light ring around the U.S. Tesla charge port. (In euro cars that light functionality is moved outside of the port.)

This is why I said shoehorned in. There is very little space around the inlet. This is also most probably why we still have the spring actioned cover and not the new electric close cover for europe.

This is why I said shoehorned in. There is very little space around the inlet. This is also most probably why we still have the spring actioned cover and not the new electric close cover for europe.

Indeed. The charge port light in euro Model S is useless as a night-time guide light as it is positioned behind the flap and does not light up the port at all.

It is noticeably larger than a J1772 connector but noticeably smaller than a Chademo. So the progression in size is:

Tesla NA connector
J1772 connector
Menekkes Type 2 plug
Chademo
Combo CSS (arguably no worse than Chademo in connection area it is taller but not as wide. Personally I think that makes it uglier)

FRqexC9.png

Tesla-connector.jpg

What would happen if you put your finger in one of the 2 holes with the metal disc in the Jari/Jevs connector?

Nothing. The EVSE (Chademo charger in this case) won't send power unless it is certain the connector is secured in the car.

Scott, thanks for posting that photo montage. Those other connectors are monstrosities. The Tesla connector is a thing of beauty.

Chademo and CSS are big and clunky. But the Type2 isn't that bad, when you take into account that it is used with 3-phase grid instead of 1 phase, which obviously requires more connectors.

What would happen if you put your finger in one of the 2 holes with the metal disc in the Jari/Jevs connector?

Nothing, but if your finger know the comunication protocoll and ask for charging then you get current flowing.

:biggrin:

Even if your finger did somehow know the protocol and somehow convince the EVSE to deliver current, you'd have to either touch two of the conductors, or be in a situation where the ground provides a return path into the CHAdeMO base unit without all its ground fault detection cutting things off.

All a J1772, or Tesla EVSE (like the UMC or HPWC) is, is a pack of relays and electronics to try to make it as hard as possible to do something bad in the process of plugging in. Once the EVSE is satisfied that it's safe, the current delivered to the car is exactly what the plug in the wall is providing. I'm pretty sure the term "EVSE" was originally "Electric Vehicle Safety Equipment" but decided "Supply" was better for marketing.

The pictures show only part of what a beautiful piece of design and engineering the Tesla connector is. By breaking with the standard, they were able to use exactly the same conductors as J1772, and provide full J1772 compatibility with an adapter that's small enough to put in your pocket, and has nothing in it but correctly shaped pieces of metal and plastic. But also, using exactly the same conductors, implement a fast DC protocol that's substantially superior to any of the others available or proposed.

That's even worse. #2 AL is good only to 90 amps at the 75 degC column (typical residential termination column).

View attachment 90496

While the conductors are likely rated at 90 degC (which would make it good to 100A), the terminations on breakers and on electrical equipment is limited to 75 degC for typical residential applications, which means a limit of 90A.

After reading your feedback I contacted Tesla and confirmed what you said. The builder switched the cable out to a 1 Ought Aluminum cable which is what the Tesla electrician recommended at no extra charge and is fixing the dry wall too. We close Thursday.
1Ought.jpg

3 car garage with two NEMA 14-50 Plugs and a HPWC (I can't purchase it until I have a Model X VIN number).
fff.jpg

Now all I need is http://granitegaragefloors.com/

Last edited:
Interesting. I;m in a similar boat. Actually, I'd say mine is more pressing. I have a Model S, limited to a single charger. But I am #1134 on the MX list, and we will be buying. And I'm limited to 30A charging at my current condo (thanks to PITA HOA). But we just bought a house and close later this month. Since we are all-electric (MS + Leaf), I will definitely need to set up charging at my new place before we can move. I intend to opt for the fastest charging possible for the MX. And I want to set up my garage to match it. So, knowing this is important to me. Guess I'll try writing them also with the same promise not to divulge ahead of any announcements.
Just to follow up. I did reach out to them. They called me back. But told me they don't know and couldn't give me any guidance. Oh well.

....... snip.... ....
I don't think DCFC only is going to be a wise or practical choice for an EV for quite some time.
practical or not - it IS necessary because (CARB) cali air resource board bases its favorite choice of 'clean' vehicle as FC (fuel cell), even though 95% is made via non-renewable - natural gas. They give about 5 more credits worth to FC, because supposedly they can refuel faster. Since the lion's share of EV's are sold in Cali, that becomes a major issue. Porsche just revealed their concept EV entry into the sedan luxury market. It DC fast charges @ 800v - 249 miles in 15 minutes;
Porsche Mission E Concept puts Tesla Model S in its sights [w/video] [UPDATE]

Toyota's fuel-cell lobby is spending big bucks to ensure they get more incentive $$ then plugins for their FC car. Each time the plugin industry meets carbs criteria for equal credits with FC's, CARB changes the rules. I'm not a fan of incentives, but that's what helps poorer people afford EV's - and DCQC's play into it. Without the ability to charge fast, EVs can't become more mainstream and less expensive.

Last edited:
3 car garage with two NEMA 14-50 Plugs and a HPWC (I can't purchase it until I have a Model X VIN number)

Tesla told me to order the wall charger from the model S page. I ordered two, one for home and one for the weekend house. I was going to wire them for 80 amp, max 60 amp charging based upon the information on the MX. Much lower cost than wiring for the full 80 amp charge if not necessary. Today, a tesla rep said that the "single" charger on the MX was the "gen 3" charger and would draw up to 72 amps. Any info on this? I need to get moving on installing chargers but would hate to do it wrong, either too little or too much. Anyone have any additional info?