TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X hitch accessory overload ?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by YamAll, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. YamAll

YamAll New Member

I have a question : I have the accessory hitch installed as I was planning to carry at least 3 bikes with the Tesla/Yakima rear bike carrier. The problem is I didn't know the hitch would only support 120 lbs and the bike rack itself weighs 40-44lbs. That makes only 76-80 lbs left for the bikes themselves. It is not enough. My bikes - all combined - are up to 91 lbs, which means my cargo is 11-15 lbs over. Do you think is it serious/dangerous ?

2. bjm

bjm New Member

A recent post on the Tesla forum recounted a trip in a Model X with a 1-UP USA bike rack with 4 bikes. The rack alone for 4 bikes weighs 96 lbs. That doesn't leave much for 4 bikes! He estimated that his rack and bikes weighed 180-190 lbs. Apparently there were no issues, however, I did correspond with Bosal to find out about the rationale for the 120 lb weight limit. As you can see from the reply below, it is based on static testing and dynamic fatigue testing. So, it would seem most reasonable to abide by the recommendation.

"The Tesla Model X hitch is rated at 5000 lbs. GTW (gross trailer weight) with 500 lbs. TW (tongue weight). This is with the 20-inch wheels. With the 22 inch wheel option, the hitch rating drops to 3500 lbs. GTW/300 lbs. TW.

However for carrying bikes, it is only rated for 120 lbs., (55kg) or 2 bicycles.

This is because the loads are different when carrying vs. towing. Towing weight is supported also by the trailer suspension and wheels. Bikes and cargo are unsprung weight, supported only by the tow hitch and vehicle frame.

These ratings were requested by Tesla and determined by exhaustive US SAE (static) testing and EU CARLOS ECE R55 (dynamic fatigue) testing.

I would strongly advise against exceeding these load ratings. For further information, the customer should contact Tesla."

• Informative x 4
  3. YamAll

YamAll New Member

Thank you very much for your reply bjm. I am a little disappointed as the 2 bikes only is a serious limitation in my opinion. Does anyone know about another bike rack (reminder : I have the Tesla/Yakima 2'') that would be lighter and would allow the carrying of a 3rd (and maybe 4th) bike ?

4. CaliX

CaliX Member

What does your hitch look like? I ordered it on mine but the one from the reveal Elon did looks like it built in not something you attach underneath.

5. YamAll

YamAll New Member

As pictured. It is the "hidden" accessory hitch you can plug in underneath the rear of the car.

Attached Files:

6. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Does this weight limit also apply to those with the tow package? or just the accessory hitch?

They both seem to use the Bosal hitch assembly.

7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

At this point it appears there is no difference between the AH option and the full TP hardware. I would not worry about carrying 4 bikes on the Yakima/Tesla bike rack. It, and the vehicle, can handle it no problem.

I didn't get to talk to them but I saw an X a couple weeks ago at the Ellensburg Supercharger (WA state) with 4 bikes on a 1UP USA rack. Granted a couple of them were pretty nice carbon fiber road bikes most definitely weighing less than 20lbs.

Cheers!