Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Hitch on Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for resurrecting this thread - I've read a bunch of others as well related to this "tow hitch" topic and I want to now move forward with getting a tow hitch for my 2016 S.

Is this hitch still the recommended one by most/some of you? ( @S-ALSET , @Evoforce , @arman1010 )

I would say "most" of the people on this forum use the ecohitch. I am not sure why anyone would actually opt for a hitch they cannot completely conceal when not in use, unless you plan to use it every day.

Reactions: SilverGS
I would say "most" of the people on this forum use the ecohitch. I am not sure why anyone would actually opt for a hitch they cannot completely conceal when not in use, unless you plan to use it every day.

Because they may be looking for a heavier duty hitch and it is positioned as such, that you practically don't see it. You also don't have to lay on your back to install the ball attachment into the reciever. This person is also (I am assuming) wanting a class three on their Model S.

Last edited:
Apologies for resurrecting this thread - I've read a bunch of others as well related to this "tow hitch" topic and I want to now move forward with getting a tow hitch for my 2016 S.

Is this hitch still the recommended one by most/some of you? ( @S-ALSET , @Evoforce , @arman1010 )

If you want just an inch and a quarter receiver like the one you showed, PM me and we can work on a price on a new condition one that I have in stock.

... and it is positioned as such, that you practically don't see it.
Do you have any photos of this type of install?

EDIT Nevermind, I think I found it.

From what I can tell the position is very similar to the EcoHItch and I will tell you 100% it will hit the ground on steep driveways. I was very happy with the fact I could remove it when not in use.
Hitch.jpeg
HIsHItch.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverGS
If you want just an inch and a quarter receiver like the one you showed, PM me and we can work on a price on a new condition one that I have in stock.
Hi there, I'm only going to be using the hitch for a bike rack. So it's definitely not a heavy duty hitch that I care about. I already have the rack and it's for a 1.25 inch hitch.

Sending you a PM now

Do you have any photos of this type of install?

EDIT Nevermind, I think I found it.

From what I can tell the position is very similar to the EcoHItch and I will tell you 100% it will hit the ground on steep driveways. I was very happy with the fact I could remove it when not in use.
View attachment 767895View attachment 767896
If you are scraping the hitch you are also protecting your rear bumper and lower underbody panel support ribs. If you notice, the lower underbody panel support ribs hang down slightly lower than the receiver on the hitch.

Agreed. I'd want to conceal it when not in use.

This is just not true.

When my hitch was removed, nothing hit.

I'm glad you have had good luck with yours.
The hitch you have must hang down lower than these custom hitch jobs or possibly the rack or ball that is in the receiver is lower too. That is why it scrapes if you still have it inserted. Anyway, glad you are happy with being able to remove yours. By the way, it is not very noticable when you are rubbing the underbody plastic support ribs. Most people who tow also know to approach a hard incline at an angle so they don't scrape with a hitch or towing with a low vehicle. I have had many tow vehicles and certainly have scraped before. That is why you don't want to have wiring that could get caught in that pinch.

Last edited:
Reactions: arman1010
The down side to the 1 1/4 is if 2" is necessary one day....

Hopefully the bike rack doesn't turn into an e-bike rack.
Yes...and I am sure you know that you can buy a 2" adapter for the 1.25 but you may need to have a higher load rating for the object that you are hitching to the car. Have you found a good bike rack for e-bikes? One of mine alone weighs 75 lbs. In my past I raced e-bikes against gassers in the western region of the US.

Last edited:

This one will fit and I have a brand new one for sale if you are interested. However this is a Class 1 hitch. I used it to get the bolt pattern for the Class 3 (Drawtite 76143 for ModelX) hitch that I modified and installed on my MS.

Reactions: Evoforce
This one will fit and I have a brand new one for sale if you are interested. However this is a Class 1 hitch. I used it to get the bolt pattern for the Class 3 (Drawtite 76143 for ModelX) hitch that I modified and installed on my MS.
I have one to sell myself, but he is up in Canada so I felt that shipping would be too much. When I get around to it, I will put it for sale locally. I hope you have been having many good adventures with your Class 3!

Reactions: arman1010
I have one to sell myself, but he is up in Canada so I felt that shipping would be too much. When I get around to it, I will put it for sale locally. I hope you have been having many good adventures with your Class 3!
Hauled a few light utility trailers so far and completed road/stability/range tests hauling my 30 ft TrailManor. Now can't wait for the summer. :)

Reactions: Evoforce
Sending you a PM now. What's a Class 1 hitch?

So long as it's 1.25 inches (my bike rack is 1.25 inches) I'm good.

I'm also assuming the hole in the bumper cannot be covered?

The other advantage for the X class 3 hitch is the ability to pull a vehicle out of a ditch. Sometimes my workmates need a hand with a stuck truck, the front tow eye will work but if a strap snaps it's better if it hits the rear bumper.
For that reason I was considering a hitch mounted electric winch with remote control so that I could pull my plane in and out of the hangar more easily. Not sure though if the 7 pin hitch connector can supply the amperage needed for the winch. Need to do more research.