Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X hits semi.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or is it just that Tesla owners are crappy drivers?

Ha, ha. That could be it too. I just know when I had to take my car in to Amatto's in San Diego it was chock full of Teslas that needed to be repaired. I mean a TON. Maybe it's because it's the only authorized repair shop in San Diego but I was surprised just how many Tesla's were in the body shop.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely love my Tesla. I loved my P85 Model S and I love my Model X. Still, I have to call them like I see them and to be called, "The safest" it's severely lacking with some basic things that really should be in it. As annoying as it is to read people just harping on Tesla for one reason or another.... it's as annoying to me to read stuff by Tesla fanboys that claim the car is perfect and totally safe.

Reactions: Blastphemy
Just couple of weeks back in SF on 101N, I had a similar situation. A car two lanes left of me suddenly jumped a lane. The BMW in that lane jumped lane into my lane to avoid impact. The first car jumped another lane so now suddenly I had two additional cars in front of me (the BMW and the other errant driver) traveling 60mph and into sharply slowing traffic ahead.

My AP1 X appropriately detected first the BMW and started to slow down and then the other car that was sharply braking and the X braked hard and avoided the impact. While I was ready to take over and attentive to what was happening ahead and behind me, I let the car take appropriate actions and I was pleased with the results.

But yes, I know AP1 is not anywhere L3 or L4 autonomy so if needed I am always completely attentive and ready to avoid a collision. What I still worry many times are the other vehicles rear ending me.

Glad the system worked successfully in that situation. To me, the challenge to the driver in such a case is to decided whether or not to intervene. If you do, the system shuts off and you may lose whatever advantage the system's programmed actions might have provided. But it you do not intervene, the car may either take more abrupt/startling action than is necessary, or may act too late or not at all. Sometimes I am brave enough to let the system act, and sometimes not, and sometimes I regret either action. So far, no accidents, but some scares.

In short -- Let's say that the system is not yet "smooth" enough to give my spouse confidence. She has observed one or two close calls that unnerved her, even if the system worked correctly.

Glad the system worked successfully in that situation. To me, the challenge to the driver in such a case is to decided whether or not to intervene. If you do, the system shuts off and you may lose whatever advantage the system's programmed actions might have provided. But it you do not intervene, the car may either take more abrupt/startling action than is necessary, or may act too late or not at all. Sometimes I am brave enough to let the system act, and sometimes not, and sometimes I regret either action. So far, no accidents, but some scares.

In short -- Let's say that the system is not yet "smooth" enough to give my spouse confidence. She has observed one or two close calls that unnerved her, even if the system worked correctly.
@David29 - completely agree with you. I had a situation today and I did take over but was wondering the same. Traffic was stopped on the highway but I was quite far off and I know that my car would slow down when it comes closer. But a white Yukon decided to jump his lane into mine. My car did not show any signs of slowing and I took over.

So yes, never get too comfortable..not with AP1 or AP2. We are still far away from the system being completely reliable in all situations.

Reactions: David29